free hit
counters
It just gets better! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rogerch

It just gets better!

Well I threw this out, I threw that out, now I'm looking at the oil cooler hoses in the nose cone, I don't like them. Next problem, the chances of getting the unions off without damage to cooler, zero, so A new oil cooler. I can handle that, but how hard is it to fit the pipes from the sandwich under the filter to the nose cone.

I'm not sure I'm up to this, but the radiator is out so it could be a good time. Oh, and the radiator man came on the phone this morning, your new core arrived from Adelaide, but it's damaged, so we will have to send for another one!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I haven't changed my hoses but it was a major effort to disconnect them from the adapter between the filter and pump. They had been fitted with threadlock. If you can get a small flame or heavy duty soldering iron in there to heat it up that should help. Also loosen them before taking off the filter otherwise you may not been able to apply enough pressure before everything starts flopping about.

While the adapter's off you could also radius the oil ports. Every little bit helps. Here are a couple of shots showing one of the original ports before and partway through the smoothing process.

Lotusoilcooleradapter002.jpg

Lotusoilcooleradapter004.jpg

DanR

Mine had been on 19 years, and looked awful. I ordered a new oil cooler expecting the worst. But when it came to it, the connections came straight off! They are big nuts holding them on, so you're not likely to round them off, so get a big spanner and have a go. May be worth trying some WD40 on them for a while before hand though just in case. Not 20 seconds before trying like most people, but a good day or so before you attempt it.

And heat is, as Danny says, always useful.

You should be able to clean the old one up then by running a load of petrol through it. It shouldn't be too bad in there really. That's why we have oil filters. <_<