free hit
counters
wiring on back of alternator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
simon a-b

wiring on back of alternator

Hi folks

my aircleaner box came loose on a drive the other day and knocked some wiring off the back of the alternator, resulting in no charge and a jump start being needed. i couldn't find anything obvious, but there is a square hole with a spade connector in it, and nothing connected to it. I think from memory this should be taken to earth? there are no loose wires hanging around, but there is an empty crimp on a big earth point on the side of the engine bay, so maybe the wire dangled around a bit and got pulled out of the crimp at the other end?

i'll try to take a photo when i get a chance!

cheers

simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From memory... Somebody please correct me

Big red or brown wire from starter solenoid to large nut terminal on alternator

Green and something wire with a round bullet type male connector to alternator.

And that should be it, except for any radio noise suppression and the internal bits of the rectifier.

Andy

Thats how I remember it here is a pic

DSC02675.jpg

The square hole is for the capacitor, the B+ goes to the shiny nut and you can just see where the bullet is attached (black thing at the end of the dodgy looking lump of electrical tape - now replaced). I kept knocking that wire off on the grotty red one leaving me stranded a number of times so got in the habit of checking that the battery charge light came one on the second click of the ignition.

Simon,

Check which alternator you have. Mine was originally the Lucas (left) where all the cables were attached to a connector that just plugs into the back on spadee connectors. The new motorola (right) needs the cables attached to the bolts directly.

Lotus.jpg

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

thanks for the replies folks

can't see any of the pics you posted though? normally can, can see avatars and images included automatically (for those that have them, in the salutation) but no images of alternators. it looks pretty new to me, so i'm guessing it is the later option. i'll take a pic tonight and post it.

cheers

simon

ok so here's a picture of the back of the alternator. it looks to me like a lucas alternator (judging by the pics you posted Pete, but not like the one posted by ambrose; is that a difference between a turbo and a s3?). down the bottom is the spade connector in a square recess, all the other connections seem good. tomorrow i'll try putting my multimeter across the spade to earth (i'll use the alternator housing) and see if i get a result!

post-4311-1215024789.jpg

That connector looks ever so slightly out, just try pulling it out and putting it back in again, it may be as simple as a poor contact on the spade connectors that it houses.

Simon,

That's exactly how my old alternator was wired up so it must be the Lucas one.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

thanks to all, i removed the airbox (partly to check why the aircleaner side had dropped, wasn't latched in properly, and partly to see the alternator better) and re seated the connector block. problem solved! charging nicely again. btw the spade connector i was talking about has live 12 volts positive on it! perhaps it should be better covered...

cheers

simon

On ‎01‎.‎07‎.‎2008 at 09:31, peteyg said:

Simon,

Check which alternator you have. Mine was originally the Lucas (left) where all the cables were attached to a connector that just plugs into the back on spadee connectors. The new motorola (right) needs the cables attached to the bolts directly.

Lotus.jpg

Pete

@peteyg : do you please have a picture in situ with the wires connected on the new alternator? I would like to know where to connect the Brown thick cable and where the small yellow/brown one and how you have done it exactly. I would guess, the Brown one is a snug fit und the yellow/Brown one has to be altered?