free hit
counters
Carbon Fiber Body Panels - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
doporto

Carbon Fiber Body Panels

Does anyone know if there is a place to get body panels for the esprit made out of carbon fiber namely the heavy rear hatch? I've seen roofs but that is about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated:-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hiya,

I suppose it depends how much you are willing to pay really.

I am fairly sure the people who make the carbon sunroof could do other panels but as with things like this it is not cheap to both make the moulds and also the resulting panels.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Mike S had a CF rear deck made, I'm sure he can induce a heart attack by giving you a clue to it's cost!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

bibs - mikes car now has one of the original "race car" rear decks i think. the one he had made he sold to me, which i passed on to your mate nicholas for his grey GT3. Never weighed it but it was a light as a feather - you could pick it up with your little finger...

• Haha 1

From what I recall Mike's cost approx

yep BN has it,,,he might sell it i dont know, if you were interested i could ask him?

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I've cut an original down (tbh you dont save an awful lot of weight, couple of kg at most)

The back screen is going in as perspex which is a lot lighter. I'd like to know what the CF one weighed and what an original weighs so I can compare. I'm not a huge fan of CF panels and the like mainly becuase the advantage of CF is it's strength so make the initial moulding by all mens out of CF but as for doing the little parts (esp non stress bearing parts like the roof panel) I dont see the point when you could just rub down the original and put 2-3 CF weaves over the top, save yourself a packet, have the CF look and be just as light, for road use.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

thats what im after the LOOK

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Do it, you know it makes sense - as long as the guy who mats the CF over the top does his prep work it'll look fine.

It's all in the preperation, would be nice to have an ultra sonic depth gauge as well :lol:

facebook = [email protected]

I'm after the weight saving on mine, not the look. I made my own CF sunroof (weighs 2.2kgs) but I painted it body colour, along with my Sport 350 carbon wing.

Bare carbon on show looks a little 'Need for speed' to me. Much better when it's painted.

Karl, if I haven't just offended you (!) I would possibly be interested in that tailgate? As long as it opens/closes and functions like a normal tailgate.

Can't be bothered if I'm going to have to use pins and stuff, and lift the whole thing on and off just to get in the back.

Could you ask your pal?

I seem to remember the stock tailgate weighing about 57kgs or something. Interestingly I weighed a standard glass backed 1988 Turbo tailgate, and the latest style V8 tailgate.

I expected the earlier one would weigh more with the glass back.. But they were both within about 1 kg of each other! (neither had spoilers fitted or struts when weighed)

Carbon fibre bonnets could be interesting. A much easier panel to make, so maybe a few more people would be interested?

I would definitely be interested in a CF tailgate and bonnet. The weight savings would be quite significant...probably equal to 50+ hp. I agree that the gate and bonnet would need to function as normal. Let us know if there is anything available!

Yep - I had a cf tailgate made-up which did indeed cost over 3000GP. This was a cf and nomex honeycomb construction. As Rob E says, this was then replaced with an original GT1 rear deck which was a spare from the race car.

I also have cf doors which again save a substantial amount of weight, but the noise level inside the cabin rises dramatically.

Mike Haines holds the moulds for both rear deck versions and the doors, but any enquiries are likely to be met by silence. Mike is really not very interested in producing parts and the costs would be very high.

If anyone is REALLY keen, then please let me know and I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

we should see how many people are seriously interested in having the parts made up before we go to much further... I would assume that it would be more with his time if he were going to do a few of them at once and might help a bit in the price department. I was also wondering if someone possibly mike, knows how much the carbon tail gate weighs

It may be a personal question for some guys but have you checked your mid rift area???

I know I could shed 20-30Kg in that dept without any need for CF or big

I had Mike's tailgate in my dining room for about a year. You can seriously lift it between thumb and finger, it's very light!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The ex-racer rear deck weights less than 2Kg.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Got another spare? B)

Evora NA

I have access to a rear tailgate mould but Iam not going down the route of CF and working out prices only to be met with silence. If a number of people came back with a price they are prepared to pay then I'll have words with my CF guy.

As for CF sunroofs which glyn mentioned, I also have 2No.spare ones that are suitable to be painted at a reduced price. There are air bubbles in laquer, otherwise perfect.

PM as Iam not putting any prices and advertising on her.

As for Alex, very valid point! I have just started cutting down on the old pork pies and have lost nearly 1st-7lbs so that nearly 10KGs!

Iam looking at other ways to save weight. I know CF costs a lot so looking at more economical solutions.

spare wheels and V8 exhaust & CATs are the first thing that should go.

Dave Walters

Agreed look at yourselves first :lol: But if its simply just for cosmetic sake the engine cover done in CF is a nice compliment and wont cost you an arm and leg, plus the rear boot floor would be nice to replace in CF too, ive often thought of this even if most of it was recovered in carpet you would still see the top trim gleaming. CF mufflers now theres a thought!!! Ooooeerr

350.gifNo.23

i just want it to look pretty lol

and i only way 10st 9lbs anyway LOL.

my misses ha a amazing CF bonnet on the supra its been blended in so its black on the edges and then CF towards the centre, ppl always look at it and comment, not your normal 2 black lines down it. at supercar sunday we watched ppl doing double takes all the time, as the laquer was tinted black also, so its like a CF flip, you cant tell where the painted starts and CF ends, it a good look even for CF haters... GLYN LOL

(can only be done on black/dark cars really)

Edited by karluk29

It may be a personal question for some guys but have you checked your mid rift area???

I know I could shed 20-30Kg in that dept without any need for CF or big

Edited by Glyn Harper

Glyn is right about the doors and alignment. Unless you really want to go crazy, you

Edited by mike_sekinger

I don't think Steve is interested in losing weight.. he spends a very large amount of time at the gym to gain weight...

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

I'll be fine with carbon fibre burn off the asbestos in my lungs will protect me from it!!!

good point from the fire brigade point of view though!!!

I love carbon and would smother my car in it given half a chance!!

I'm thinking along the lines of the Superleggera , CF mirrors, Rear diffuser, Dash, etc..

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"