free hit
counters
Centering Raid Airbag Wheel - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TEAM MAG

Centering Raid Airbag Wheel

My Raid wheel is not exactly centered while rolling straight down the roadway. Alignment etc... is spot on. It's only off by about a centimeter or two. I have tried moving the adapter on the spline one notch over but then the wheel is off center the opposite way.

Is there a way to adjust the steering wheel position in very small increments? I was thinking that I could turn the tie rod ends on each side of the car both in the same direction by the same amount of turns (maybe 1/2 to 1 full turn) to compensate, thus have a perfect dead center wheel. Can this be done to straighten the steering wheel with no affect on the steering geometry?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bill,

That's pretty much how an alignment shop does it but you have to be careful or you'll have the geometry screwed up in no time.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you have to lock the wheel in place and then do the adjustment. A shop uses a tool to hold the wheel. If your wheel is turned to the left then you'll want to adjust the wheels to the left which sounds opposite but the front end will naturally want to center itself which then turns the wheel back to the right. A small adjustment can make a big difference so I'd say start with a half turn on each tie rod and go from there.

The easiest way of course would be to have an alignment shop do it...

Good luck,

1995 S4s

Bill,

Take it to

Glenn's Alignment & Brake Service

2135 Canyon Drive

Costa Mesa, CA 92627

949 631-2888

They do all the work for Harry and other local shops (done both of my Esprits) - recommend you make an appointment though ...

Paul

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!