free hit
counters
slave replaced new pin longer - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lucio1234

slave replaced new pin longer

hi, i'm new at this i had to rebuld fuel tanks (leaking ) at the same time i replaced the red hose and new slave cylinder. The cylinder came with a longer shaft but the adjustment according to lots is 12.5mm and now of course the pedal friction point is higher. Could or should i adjust the screw to lower the friction point. thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

the reason for not using the original pin is that the rubber boot hole is bigger than the pin and water will get in.

Compare the new slave cylinder with pin against the old set-up, it might be that the new cylinder needs the longer pin so as to compensate for a deeper recess in the piston of the slave cylinder or something. If the new one is longer than I'd suggest you alter the clutch adjustment accordingly to compensate.

Or cut and grind the longer pin to the correct size.

The only problem with adjusting the system to fit the pin is you're the only one that will know it and you have to guess what adjustment is actually correct. If you get rid of the car it could create problems for the next owner trying to adjust things to the correct specs and becoming frustrated with the "Lotus" because it's screwed up....

These slave cylinders were used in several other applications so the pin may very well be for something else.

I usually pack some grease under the rubber boot to help with the water intrusion and corrosion.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Had the same problem. Slave cylinder failed and went to put the new one in- D'oh that's not going to work. Pin was a good inch too long.

Ended up resleeving the old original for around

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I usually pack some grease under the rubber boot to help with the water intrusion and corrosion.

Ditto. I noticed yesterday that here is a tiny hole in the rubber boot, presumably to act as a breather. Any idea if it should be oriented up or down?

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

That was my thought as well, but there's no mention of it in the Service Notes.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

well i tried the old one and somehow it just popped out so i installed the new shaft and adjusted the screw shorter, clutch grabs still high not mid point like before

Just replaced the red hose and slave cylinder myself last week and the replacement shaft was longer than the original, however the body casting was a different length also, this looked like it compensated for the difference in the shaft lenght. So I put it on and gave it a try without changing the adjuster and sure enough it worked perfectly. Before cutting or grinding or adjusting anything I would just do a straight swap. :blush: