free hit
counters
1986 turbo esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jp575

1986 turbo esprit

So the esprit I have been looking at isn't in the condition I had hoped for. I went to see it and it has a cracked windshield, dirty leather/smelly mats, the wrest behind the gearshift is held down by tape lol, and basically it really shows its age. It has 69000 miles, and a removal targa top. The dealer is asking for 21,999 dollars for it. How much is it worth? And is it even worth the trouble thinking about changing windshield, redoing interior, and adding new air conditioning ect? Total I wouldn't want to spend more than 22000. Is this possible?

Thank you

Edited by jp575

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hard to say really, you would need to look underneath, check all the bushings and see what state they are in, check the steering for play, start the car from cold and let it run see if the water temp holds, check every switch works, check all lights, wipers. in engine bay check header tank for anything in there that looks like a layer of crap on the water bit like mayo if it is the head is an issue check under the oil cap also.

another good place to check if it has one like mine is the oil breather pipe which goes from the back of the engine top to the metal pipe that goes to the turbo (the air pipe goes on to it also) <-- i can supply a pic to show you.

check for smoke out of the tail pipes to see if turbo is or is not ok.

check suspension by pushing car up and down and by checking underneath.

any oil leaks around the cam covers is normal and can be sorted out at very little expense, pull the spark plugs and check them also and get a compression test done on the cylinders and a sniff test on the coolant. if the dealer is an ok guy then he will put up with this being done as he can see you are serious about the car and these are really standard checks that an inspector would do here in the uk if you paid for it to be done pre sale.

.if you go on a test drive make sure the car is cold, if its already been driven and is warm or hot when you get there then its been done for a reason, a car always sounds different at cold start up.

remember if your tall you can take the runners out from the seats and bolt directly to the floor, or you can get some second hand elise seats and have them fitted which makes for loads more room.

the leather can be cleaned with the glipton cleaner and then conditioned with it, its great stuff.

as for the smelly mats its nothng to sort out, i had a leak for ages i couldnt find, then one day i tracked it down to the door seal letting water in at the bottom of the seal, i pulled all the old carpet out and put new carpet in myself, saved a fortune and it looks great (there is a thread i did about this)

im sure the other guys will be in shortly to help you with other things to check for.

Walk away, the windshield replacement itself is expensive enough to warrant walking away, unless you can get it covered under insurance? On the face of it this doesn't sound like a looked after car, if that's what you've found already then god knows what is lurking underneath. Also if the dealer is prepared to sell it in it's current condition it doesn't say much about there ability and inclination to support you afterwards.

There'll be a better one out there for you.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Dont walk away, RUN AWAY, fast! It's true that if the cosmetics haven't been cared for then one can assume that what you cant see is even worse. My screen cost just over

Sounds like a total dog and way over priced. I agree. Run away.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

thanks for the advice guys. Problem is I can't find another esprit around here in that price range. Most of the newer 1990 + models are 40-60 grand. I guess i'll just have to wait for another to go on sale.

Thanks again

As has been said many times, there is no such thing as a cheap Esprit.

Buy a dog and you'll end up with a money pit. If it means waiting, save some more to get a better car 'cos it's going to cost either way unless that is the going price for an S3 and that one was just a bad example.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not sure where in the US you are ... but my experience of hunting for an Esprit was that something in the condition you mention would be a $10k car.

As soon as they are 'beat on' the value really depreciates. Now ... even if you did negotiate down to say $10k you would quickly be over your $22k in repairs and also the unknown aspects we can assume ... the biggest thing is that you will probably have a costly repair that you will not be able to cover as the knowledge base is very limited over here ! Of course you'll also have to deal with the fact that a regular repair item will be double on an Esprit, and an Esprit in North America probably double again with a three week wait on parts !

Personally I paid a little higher for mine (1990 SE, 46,000km / $30k) ... but it had service history from 1996 at the same place.

You CAN find a decent Esprit in North America ... but really you just have to wait for one to become available. The price SHOULD be relatively fair and reasonable ... but there are enough duds out there that you don't want to touch ... and don't even think about it unless you really know what you are getting in for.

I agree with all of the above. The car is way overpriced. Buying an Esprit in the U.S. is a challenging task when your looking at the $20K & below mark. I've been looking now for almost 2 years. With one thing and another the right car just hasn't come up. I have missed out on a couple of cars that I am still kicking myself for not buying. Patience is a must. This car sounds cr*p. Say goodbye to it and start a new search.

Edited by gtookey

Is this the car you've been looking at?

http://losangeles.backpage.com/AutosForSal...wAd?oid=2133751

if it is, then I would check to see if they painted the frame white, as they seem to have painted everything else white. And you might consider asking them to throw in a front bumper into the deal, as the car hasn't got one. Love the Tractor/Trailer front turn signals.

Anyone now what 'wa wa wee waa' means??

what a waste!!!

RUN,RUN,RUN

Edited by gtookey

That is scary...

Hideous...

How could someone do that to an Esprit???

Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Not sure where you are located? How about this?

Its in your price range and looks great......................

http://www.classiccargallery.com/details.php?id=51&g=1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I called on the Classic Car Esprit ( link above ) and the engine has not been rebuilt as stated in the Ad. The carbs have been rebuilt, some seals have been replaced and a new turbo has been fitted. It also has the emission stuff still fitted, smog pump etc... According to Sports Car World in TX the car was originally dark blue. Seller sent me some large format photographs and it does look clean.