free hit
counters
sticking brake - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit22

sticking brake

Front brake giving a problem. (passenger side) sticking on, caliper not returning. Caliper works fine when assembly removedfrom discs, press brake pedal and it comes out, and easily pushes back with a flat blade, but when put back onto discs it wont return.

Recent new discs, pads,calipers serviced, new brake hoses etc. Any ideas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi

Any rust on the piston will cause it to stick on. Did you check the condition of the rubber dust cover that seals the edge of the piston in the Caliper. If this is deteriating or has a crack in it, will over time moisture will get in and thus will casue the top ot the piston to rust & seaze.

Are an eaisy fix, either one for one them with 'Classic' brackes( can be found in the club lotus mag). Usually do good deals on exchange callipers & you get a calliper like new ready to bolt on. Or you can get a seal kit & change the rubbers & O ring seal your self. But only if the Piston isn't to badly rusted & pitted, a small amount can be cleaned up, however Classic brakes do do the pistons seperately aswell.

I did my current set 8 years ago with the piston & seal kit & they are just starting to go. I have got a set on exchabge basis this time, so they are ready to bolt on. Would do them myself again but I work away form home now so don't get the time to play.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Cheers Daz, did change all the seals etc when overhauled brakes. Caliper moves freely but will not return when pedal let up so brake stays on.

I take it then you popped the piston out & inspected it. Was it all nice & shinny still? or was there any signs of rust/corrosion anywhere on the piston or the calliper shaft. how well a fit where the pads. sometimes they need to need to be pared down a bit to make fit properly, esp if they are aftermarket ones. also how good a condition are the spring/supports that sit top & bottom of the pads?

Does the car pull to one side on braking?

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Had a look last night. The piston was hard to get out of the caliper, small amount of crap in there but not enough to make it stick. cleaned it out, piston slid in ok but stuck inside caliper. On closer inspection it appears that tho '0' seal in the caliper was slightly distorted, I'm guessing that this is not letting the piston move freely. Pissed off as only changed all the seals last year and was unable to buy just that one '0' ring. had to buy the complete kit again for