free hit
counters
S1 Rescue - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest surferphil

S1 Rescue

Guest surferphil

Following the purchase of an 1978 S1 Esprit on Ebay, I am setting about it's restoration.

I have been looking for one for about a year, having owned an Elan SE Turbo for 3 years and loving it, I always loved the early Esprit and the later Stevens models.

I'd like to get a Sport 350 but the S1 is getting harder to find in reasonable condition, and the S1 has something quite special about it.

There's not too much to do on it, but the first stage is getting it up to pass an MOT

2nd stage is getting it reliable

3rd is to replace the the parts that need replacing and to get it back to an original looking S1

4th is a respray and maybe interior trim

It's not set in stone but that's my general plan

I think the hardest thing is getting parts and the biggest thing about restoration is the cost, but I am really enthusiastic about this car and can't wait to get the original wheels and bumpers on and get it back on the road with an MOT :lol:

post-4219-1214990190.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I like it. Nice nice nice. :lol:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Wheels, bumpers, paint the mirrors black and you're laughing there.

At least no-one glassed in turbo sills, spoilers, or carved a sunroof out of it! :lol: I believe the S2 "ears" appeared on some of the last S1s so yours may not be modifications.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Is stage 2 possible on an S1??? :lol: Only kidding glass u got a nice S1 every one is worth saving IMO and every one which is sympathetic to originality is great news!!

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Surferphil,

Nice car, well done. I'm all for originality so it's best you take those bumpers off straight away and get the right ones. That way I can come and pick your old ones up, spray them black and swap them onto my car and we will both have something that looks original :lol: .

Trevor

I'll get around to it at some point.

Winners,

Yes been tracking Ebay without success so far. Thanks anyway.

Trevor.

fantastic idea that your taking it back to S1 specs.

if you ever want to get replace the ears and mirrors, ill be interested in those parts.

im trying to make my S3 look like a S2!

cheers

PP

Guest surferphil

Trevor, make me an offer on the bumpers if you like.

I have ordered new ones so they should be along soon.

I am also looking for a steering wheel but just the boss would do as I have found someone with an outer wheel.

I found some woolfrace wheels but at

post-4219-1215076084.jpg

post-4219-1215076089.jpg

Edited by surferphil

Surferphil,

Re the bumpers. There was a front bumper on Ebay last week that made

Guest surferphil

Thats fine Trevor, I'll let you know when I have got them off and I have had a good look at them to check the condition. :shock:

Just let me know and I will pick them up. I am in Rickmansworth and I see you are in Bucks so can't be that far away.

Trevor.

Nice find, Phil!

If you run out of luck looking for Wolfrace wheels in the U.K., I have an extra set in need of light reconditioning. At least three of them have curb rash and need light polishing. I would sell the set at a lot more reasonable price, but I don't know what shipping would do to your costs.

One possible way to tell whether the "ears" are original or not is to look on the inside; S2s have ducting from them.

S2s have the battery in the boot, also. Lotus started putting the battery in the boot of S1s in late 1977, well before any cars ("S1.5" or otherwise) ever sprouted ears. If the battery is under the right side rear quarter window, that is pretty much a guarantee that the ears were added later.

Another late S1 feature is dual headlight motors. If your car has only a single headlight motor, that is another likely indicator of the ears being added.

Those look like early S2 mirrors with the chrome stalks; wonder if this is indeed a very late S1?!? What is the chassis number, and have you added it to the registry?

Cheers,

Tony K.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Tony,

How much would you be willing to sell your spare set of Wolfrace wheels for?

Guest surferphil

Thanks for the offer Tony it is much appreciated, I was beginning to think I would not find a set. I decided to buy the set here purely because there are 2 new tyres included and free delivery.

I don't think the ears are right as they don't go anywhere, there is a hose sitting to the right of the engine (in the previous photo) which fits on to the engine cover in a very un professional style. But no real ducting and no where for it to fit on the engine cover. I think the ears should go!

The mirrors are a mystery:

The car comes up as registered on 20/04/1978 by the DVLA (Government Agency) Computer which makes it an S1 by about 3 months.

I have been told some late S1s have those mirrors, but I'd like to know if they belong to this one. The previous owner thought they were original.

I have not added it to the registry yet, I just got the Log book for it so I have the info now.

Trevor, I'm near Junction 3 of the M40.

Phil,

The first four digits of the VIN give the actual year and month of build. Should be on the tag inside the front compartment, along with engine number and color code. I don't know whether UK cars have it in the windshield corner like Federal cars. (?) If the car was completed as late as April 1978, well, that's only a month or so away from official S2 launch, so the mirrors could be possible. But again, I would expect to see dual headlight motors and battery in the back of the boot before seeing S2 mirrors on an S1. Another thing you could do is look for mounting holes or traces thereof from original S1 mirror mounting. As it is a RHD car, I believe the mirror would have been on the black triangle finisher? (UK guys, it that right?) Any marks on that little black triangle, or does it look newer or replaced? Or you could pull the A-pillar finisher from the interior and see from the back side.

Bob,

I was thinking $500 USD for the set of four, plus whatever the rule is for making a donation to LEW for talking about it here! $500 is what I paid for them several years ago. I'm sure they all need some "tlc".

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

My car had s2 mirrors from new, battery in the boot floor, twin head lamp motors and dual fans (trianglar black fan cover under bonnet) but it still never had ears. My vin is 78020 (Feb 1978)

I think if your car was made Feb 1978 or before the ears should go !

Matt

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Guest surferphil

The headlamps have a single motor each (which work but not with the switch on the dash). The battery is in the boot right at the back. Should the boot have plywood in it!? :blush:

It's a mess of a car and I am quite surprised it drives so well (at all)!

Vin: 7802/0344G

Yes I'm afraid plywood was an original fitting. S2 mirrors could well be original fit as it's very late production. S2's have the hose you described. It's simply a hose going from the right ear directly into the airbox, on the S2 it passes through the engine cover.

I think Marc bradleys old White S1 had ears too?

I think you actually have quite a standard car, it all fits in with a very late S1 fitted with S2 bits as the factory had started running out of S1 bits and were known to be putting S2 bits on in anticipation of the actual S2.

According to the Esprit registry thread

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...t=0&start=0

There were S2 cars from 78/02 and you're the 15th car on from Matt Watts

Incidentally I appreciate Pyropolymer has already asked for your mirrors, but I've been trying to source S2 mirrors with chrome stalks for mine for ages, so if you do sell and he changes his mind, please contact me!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Guest surferphil

I now have an airbox, ducting, filter, front and back bumpers and some shiny new bits of metal. I'm also told that my Wolfrace wheels will be arriving this week! :thumbup:

I can't wait to figure out how to put the bumpers on, although I now think I will need some black edging strip as it has been cut to fit the S3 Bumpers. :harhar:

I think the ears will go as the previous owner said it had been done to improve the cooling of the engine although I'd like someone to look at it who knows for sure what should or should not be on the car.

Great topic this - I am watching with great interest.

What a top idea to return a beautiful car. I have a box full of bits removed / replaced, so I will keep an eye out for any requests you have.

Iain

Well phil looks like your car is now becoming what it should have always been !

Have you got the correct airbox ? It should be the same as a Elite/Eclat 1974-78 and screwed together not cliped.

I still don't think you should have the side ears most S1's had the S2 front spoiler first (see picture)

Have you got the angled radator like I have got ? I've never seen another S1 with one

More Photos please !

Matt

post-3604-1217494982.jpg

Edited by Matt-watts

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Guest surferphil

Lol! I tried to buy that black Esprit. It was on pistonheads for about 12 hours before it sold!

My car has a verticle front Radiator but I can't get under the car to have a proper look so I'll have to come back to that.

I am pretty sure the pipe was added to the engine cover but having never seen a proper one, I can't tell the difference. Here are some photos, hope they are of some help?

I bought a reproduction air box from SJ Sports Cars, it has lugs to be bolted/screwed together.

Cheers,

Phil

post-4219-1217499536.jpg

post-4219-1217499544.jpg

post-4219-1217499549.jpg

post-4219-1217499553.jpg

Guest surferphil
Phil,

Got those bumpers off yet?

Trevor.

Got the back one off, but the new one doesn't fit (holes/brackets don't line up). I'll get the front one off tomorrow. :)

Well phil looks like your car is now becoming what it should have always been !

Have you got the correct airbox ? It should be the same as a Elite/Eclat 1974-78 and screwed together not cliped.

I still don't think you should have the side ears most S1's had the S2 front spoiler first (see picture)

Have you got the angled radator like I have got ? I've never seen another S1 with one

More Photos please !

Matt

I did a quick check on the DVLA Web Site and got the Registration dates for this car and mine:

VHV 537S - 01 04 1978

SWS 13S - 20 04 1978

I was quite surprised, (although the dates of manufacture will be different). :(

Edited by USAndretti42