free hit
counters
ESSEX TURBO 2+2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Veilside

ESSEX TURBO 2+2

Hi,

Due to the ever increasing price of fuel I've decided it would be more cost effective to have an Esprit with 4 seats and have been finalising the new seating layout as shown in the photo before I cut the body and chassis in half.

Now that's hopefully caught your attention the real reason for this post is Brian Angus and myself are running out of ideas on how to flush out the remaining RHD Essex Turbo's.

Using the power of the forum we hope to generate some new leads to confirm the country of residence for the following.

Firstly, Essex 005 (not listed, having no DVLA records) is it still in the UK if so where ?

Next on the list are Essex 006 & 008. Both cars are in Japan. 006 we are certain about, but 008 although we believe to be in Japan we would like to have something more positive.

Next on the list Essex 013, last seen for sale in Switzerland back in 1998 is it still there.

Lastly Essex 019 no DVLA records for this one which suggests not in the UK so where is it.

If you have any Essex information, old photo's etc. please get in touch we want to hear from you.

Cheers

Steve T

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve - Glad to see u r still on the hunt!!!! ..............I'll try to get some 'fresh' photos of 017 when I can from Paul...........cheers for now

I have seen an Essex in Switzerland. However, if I remember correctly (that was in 2006), it was repainted Black with gold bands at the back (and we all laughed at the strange scheme that replaced the beautiful Essex ^colours.

I recognized the Essex with specific interior rims etc. but I can't tell if its #013 ?

Steve

A long time ago I think I saw a picture of an Essex in Japan. I think it was in a garage and could well have been posted on this forum. Possibly owned by somebody who ran a Lotus club in Japan?

Sorry if this is the one you alredy know about.

How many have you tracked down in total so far?

Hi Barrie,

Think the one you are refering to is pre-production 0896/MPW 75V. I exchanged emails with the owner a couple of years ago. He knew of 006 and 008 being in Japan. He is apparently restoring 0896 and was about to replace the roof section. Previously someone had fitted a port hole sunroof which was a bad idea with the roof radio. A photo of the new roof section also appeared looked like serious work. It would have been easier to cut a section to fit the hole.

Cheers

Steve T

Barrie,

Didn't answer your last question.

13 RHD in the UK so far - 004, 007, 010, 011, 012, 014, 017, 018, 020 (fire damaged Cat B), 021, 023, 024(100) and 025.

Plus

003 Hong Kong

006 and 008 Japan

009 Africa

016 Germany

022 South Africa.

Discount 001 (Bond Car, no production RHD 001) and 002 ( again no production RHD 002). note LHD 002 now converted to RHD ,we

know where this one is.

Steve T

Alireza,

Interesting, thank you for your reply. Below is the original ad from Club Lotus News 1998.

RHD LOTUS ESPRIT TURBO ESSEX, Ser No.13 former UK registration XKD 50W for sale. This car is in A1 condition. The whole car is completely rebuilt and is fully original ! A complete documentation from history and all works are available. Price Sfr41,000. V.Fry.Fallmisstrasse 41, CH-8832 Wilen Tel. 0041 55 221 42 42. Fax 0041 55 201 52 33.

Steve T

Steve

Thanks for your reply.

The guy I bought mine from (who is still trying to sell No.12) said that a few years ago he was offered an Essex that had been nut & bolt restored either in Switzerland or by Swiss people. Sounds like the same car?

I wasn't too sure what you meant when referring to 001 and 002 - were they not RHD or not official production cars?

Hi Barrie - think what Steve means is that there was never officially an Essex numbered 001 and 002 as these were set aside as Bond/Pre-Prod cars but as they were the first Turbo cars (as was the whole Essex run) they are included in the Essex database.........................As such Essex #003 is really the first 'Essex' - i.e. car in Essex spec and is still around in Hong Kong......................

Edited by nello

Barrie,

Reading Neil's post this probably answers your question. Expanding a little pre-production Essex Esprit's numbered 001 and 002 were, so I believe at the Albert Hall 1980. 001 RHD and 002 LHD.

The story at the time, 001 was for Colin Chapman and presumably 002 could have been ear marked as David Theimes Essex, presumably he would want a LHD car for Europe.

If this was the case then Lotus couldn't start the production Essex Turbo's with 001 and 002 so had to start at 003.

When the Essex sponsorship collapsed possibily the last thing Colin Chapman needed was an Essex Esprit. And as for David Theime he wouldn't have needed or wanted an Esprit where he was going so they continued to be used as developement cars.

A story circulating some years ago was of an Essex stored at Lotus brand new in a crate, the story wasn't correct but when 002's days as a development hack were over it was sold off by Lotus. The story continues that at the last minute it was discovered it still had the Lotus V8 in the back, when removed the car was then allowed out of the factory. After being sold it was stored for quite sometime in a warehouse in London surrounded by crates full of Lotus parts and eventually converted to RHD but that's another story.

Steve T

Guys....and more...........I know Steve and Brian Angus at the factory are aware (or believe) that David Thieme still has a LHD Essex stored in Paris.

I've been trying to find out more info on Mr Thieme ever since he seemably disappeared off the planet after the Essex Petroleum collapse.

He became severely in debt from Credit Suisse his backers and was eventually imprisoned though I understand he was bailed out by the Ojjeh family (as in Mansour the co-McLaren owner). It wasn't until Brian made me aware that they had contact that we knew he still exisited though he does not have a very high profile anymore...............

By the way Steve - stumbled on this photo I had not seen before of Francois Mazet - Thiemes No.2 at Essex at the time...........

scan0002gq7.jpg

Edited by nello

This may/not be of use, but I understand there is one in Banbury Oxfordshire, I got wind of it when I was trying to track down an esprit to buy. I believe it is owned by a Dr or solicitor. Sorry don't know number and can't confirm its existance but two people advised me it was there somewhere.

Cheers, Martin