free hit
counters
Rattles around the cam pulleys - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Splodge s4

Rattles around the cam pulleys

The other day I took the S4 out & after it was warmed up I gave it some beans, only a quick hard accelerate, up to about 5,000 in third then slowed at some traffic lights.

When it was ideling I could hear a metal rattling sound, I stopped & had a look & it sounds like its rattling around the front of the engine, near the cam pulleys but actually inside. The noise is best described like when you use a vacume & it sucks up a small nail or drawing pin type thing & you can hear it rattling around inside but its more mettalic sounding. I though (hoped) it might be a heat shield or something but now ive looked more closely its definately not.

The car is well serviced in the 5 years i've had it, recon water pump 2 years ago & full C service with cam belt last year. Theres certainally no loss of power.

So any thoughts? Think its safe to drive 60 miles to Esprit engineering or dont even start it up? Anyone else had anything similar?

Thanks for any replies chaps

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is there anyway you can check belt tension? Rattles from cam pulleys can be caused by a slack cam belt.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I have the same problem....almost.

It doesn't do it at idle, but does when I put it in gear and move (even at 1 MPH). I can only hear it when the window is down and there's a solid object to reflect noise (pulling in to the garage, driving close to a guard rail etc...etc...).

I haven't concluded where the sound originates yet.

I had a similar rattle, found it to be the internal plate in the alternator that secures the bearing, it had lost its screws and was merrily spinning, but not in time with the armature.

Andy

Splodge,

I had a similar noise on a different car and as strange as it may seem it was down to A/C belt tension. It sounds like a ball bearing in a can and random rather than consistant with revs. Static I am told. All I can say is it went away with a change of belt. Try sprayng the belts with dressing or failing that WD40 and see if it changes'goes away.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Could be tensioner bearing on the timing belt.

There is also a few rubber hose connections in that area of the intake manifold that if loos can sound like that.

Check the connection on the front of the motor by the waterpump. This is a vacuum like hose that comes from the charcoal cannister and it has a one way valve. This can crack or fall off or fall of the one way valve. Also check operation of the one way valve.

Next there is a Tee under the chargecooler that goes into the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. If the line falls off or cracks, you will hear a very mechanical valve tapping noise from the intake manifold.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Thanks for the replies guys, lots to check, i think I need to get it up in the air & have a proper look, atleast no one has said get a new engine.

I'll let you all know the out come, thanks chaps.

Garry,

Get a new engine :blush:

Thanks Marcus, can i order one from you, I'll call you in 5 mins with my credit card details :blush:

Its going on a ramp tomorrow so Ill have more ifo then.

Check the bolts on the power steering pump pulley

Well done Jim, spot on! From up top it sounds like its around the cam pulleys, get underneath & its quite clear a mounting bolt on the power steering pump has undone itself & was tinkling on the pulley.

All sorted, as always, thanks for your help chaps :flower:

(Marcus, please cancell the order for the engine :cheers: )

You're starting to look like a wizard, Jim!

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages