free hit
counters
Electrical problem maybe? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shenny1319

Electrical problem maybe?

Well here we go.... i have a friend this a 70s or 80s esprit S1 ... i really don't know much about this cars at all. He says that the car will have power at the whole starting system when the key is in the on position and will turn over but after it starts it loses all power and decharges. I was thinking it is some sort of bad ground but i have no idea about any of this cars so i was hoping i could get some help here

thanks for the time

shawn

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the starter turns the engine over OK and the car starts before the trouble begins I would think the earth and battery are probably OK. I wonder if the alternator is the culprit. Disconnect the thick wire from the alternator at the starter solenoid and start up the car and see what happens then.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

If the car starts but immediately stops when the key is released then it is a problem with the power supply to the ignition coil. The coil has 2 supplies - a full 12 voltage supply that is switched on with the starter and a reduced voltage 6 volt supply that is for normal running. This ireduced voltage supply is through a special resister wire in the loom to the coil. If this resistor wire is broken or disconnected the car will start but not run.

cheers

Rohan

That's what I just thought, only because the same discussion took place on the LotusEuropa Yahoo group over the last few days, there the owner caused the issue by attaching a wire that shouldn't have been used.

Andy