free hit
counters
Buying an Esprit from a dealer - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
greenamex2

Buying an Esprit from a dealer

My cunning plan is working and my wife is beginning to agree we need a second car so I don't have to use hers to get to work when my bike breaks down (which it does a lot, long story).

However as my bike has broke down again I may be in the market to buy an Esprit in a hurry.

The question is, are there any dealers you would trust to buy a car from 'on spec'?

If I don't get one this time around the bike is bound to break down again in the next couple of months or so!

Ta.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Depends on their warrenty and how well they will honour it.

Paul Matty I wouldn't have a problem with, fact is unless you have a crystal ball you can rarely tell what's going to fail next.

If you pay higher prices at a dealer make sure you know where that money is going. Some dealers are very good, Lipsombs down here are and Merrits at Amersham are 2 that I have had dealings with.

facebook = [email protected]

errr dont buy from a dealer at all,,,,,SORTED

unless you have cash to burn, its going to be more expensive. just buy on recommendation

i use mine for work 1 week out of 2, so there fine for work, mine never breaks

(buy mine im always selling LOL)

Edited by karluk29

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I did get my car from a Dealer - have to admit I was lucky as at the time I probably did not know what to look for entirely but I got lucky and bought a good one.

I did pay a premium at the time though I suppose bbut was worth it. Having said that the dealer was featured the week I bought the car in a National Motoring Paper and my car was written about as being worth the premium it was up for.......................

That said if was looking now (owned now for 14 years!) I would probably go for a LEW member car - you really are going to get an enthusiasts purchase and you'll know someone has really loved their motor.

if you want to buy from a dealer you are going to pay at least

Edited by GasketsGone

Cheers - jim

I'd agree with Adrian mostly but I do feel the exception is Paul Matty, who has a simple no quible warranty on all his cars, but more importantly I don't think he uses an insurance/warranty company, i.e. if you need warranty work he bears all the cost. This to me is significant because it gives him a real incentive to make sure the car is sorted BEFORE sale.

Mind you his prices are top drawer, but if I were going dealer route that's who I'd go to.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I bought my car from Peter Smith Sportscars 4 years ago and paid 20K when a private one was

I think most people on here would urge you to stay clear of UK Sports Cars.

My experience of Barry Ely is reliable but expensive.

I've had 3 Esprits and all were bought privately.

Use LEW and compare with what the dealers have got. Don't argue about spending more at the dealers as long as the car feels right for you.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Don't get me started on Dealers well scottish dealer anyway... Damaged parts off my car and the best i could get was free labour to replace what I had already paid them to do and I had to replace the parts myself

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Bought mine from a dealer back in 03.

They had disabled the check engine light (removed the bulb) to hide that the ECU needed replacing.

The ABS light was on which they said they would fix under warranty - they didn't.

Plus a lot of other warranty items which were not fixed. Total price to pay for warranty items myself was

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

My dealer experiences have been overwhelmingly negative, it's caveat emptor no matter where you buy from. What budget have you got? I'm sure people on here would keep an eye out for you, for instance "gasketsgone"s red GT3 looks like a great buy, or if you like the older cars there is a beautiful white S3 NA been on Pistonheads for a while, just popped up on Autotrader for <

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

total rubbish, you would never have got my GT3 for 13.5K when I bought it a year and half ago.

but its not 1.5 years ago NOW is it??? so very helpful......

My dealer experiences have been overwhelmingly negative, it's caveat emptor no matter where you buy from. What budget have you got? I'm sure people on here would keep an eye out for you, for instance "gasketsgone"s red GT3 looks like a great buy, or if you like the older cars there is a beautiful white S3 NA been on Pistonheads for a while, just popped up on Autotrader for <
Edited by GasketsGone

Cheers - jim

or if you like the older cars there is a beautiful white S3 NA been on Pistonheads for a while, just popped up on Autotrader for <

Yep forgot that in my post above.

I bought from a dealer and it had a full service including cam belt changes and two new rear tyres (not cheap on a sport 350!) before I picked it up. Also included a 12 month warranty.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

thing is with a warranty, it means NOTHING if they dont want it to.

friend at work had a warranty with his now blown up car, out comes the insurance to check, oh no oil in the car, the car was bought from a dealer and driven for 2 weeks and it blew up. warranty is void.

i say buy private, i have only bought from a dealer once and the car was a nail.

karls rules on buying a car LOL, there random BUT never let me down:-

is the car shiny and pretty

does the owner look rich

does the owner live in a nice area / nice house

BUY IT!!!!!!

i bought mine and didnt even drive it. same with the elan & merc.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Well - when I bought mine 11 years ago I went with Paul Matty - his reputation was (and is) first class and the car was exactly what I wanted...

Well, er, actually, I *wanted* a red one with magnolia hide for my

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

The problem with deciding on a model/budget for an Esprit is it is very tempting to keep going for the next model 'up'. I started looing at G's and ended up thinking what a wonderful idea a V8 would be!

Realistically what I am after is a G turbo for around

Denis,

Presume you mean the one Kim Cooke is selling.

I don't know Kim or the car (does look nice though). However, if you need to check anything about the dry sump cars then Dodgy Dave is your man. Dave owns a lovely 1981 dry sump and knows all the joys and sorrows associated with ownership.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Thats the one.

I am painfully aware of the trials and tribulations of dry sumping from my race car, but anything Esprit specific would be of interest.

Thanks.

TBH use it as an excuse to drive as many variants as you can. then make your mind up. I drove the esprit to work every day for 2 months as the other half parked the suzuki under the back of an Audi last year. except for a slightly higher fuel bill had no concerns or breakdowns