free hit
counters
ANTI LOCK warning lamp on - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GordonMasson

ANTI LOCK warning lamp on

On the way home tonight I noticed that the ANTI LOCK light was on.

I

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Gordon

Cant remember the Lotus system details, but usually if the ABS computer detects a fault the ABS is deactivated but the braking system works normally without this feature. More often than not I have found that a wheel sensor is defective. Easy check, remove each road wheel in turn, unplug the sensor and connect an AVO to the 2 pins in the sensor. Spin the wheel (not to fast) and if the sensor is working the AVO will record a voltage reading that varies between an upper an lower value. If the sensor isnt feeling very well the voltage reading will be constant. If this is the case, then the difficult bit happens next, getting the sensor out of the hub to replace it. Did mine last winter cost

Gordon,

I has exerienced the same the part that you also need to check are:

Pressure switch A082J6137S and the Gas Accumulator.

The pressure switch is hard to find but the accumulator as mine was also faulty are plenty in stock.

see the link here

http://www.lotusesprit.com.au/parts.htm

Edited by greekmixS4

i have the abs light come on - only when i boot the car - i know its a wheel sensor, from what i could gather from the previous owner its a bit of a common fault. with the documents i got with the car is a total break down of the breaking system (marine delco on my s4 not sure if its the same on yours) if you get stuck i could always post you a copy. hope its a sensor i thinkthat the speed sensor can catch the abs. i would check the sensors 1st

It's Oogies turn to boogie

The first easy check is to be sure your brake lights are not staying on (via the brake pedal switch)...the brake lights being on all the time will cause an abs fail light

Thanks for the info so far guys... i will go and check if the brake lights are on first and it sounds like its safe enough to drive??? so i will take it to work and see if it remains on.

Cheers

Gordon

Gordon,

if the ABS light is on the brakes will work normally, but obviously the ABS function is disabled.

Phil

98GT3

Check the adjustment of the brake light switch on the pedal. It may be too finely set and stays on sometimes.

DanR

Hi Danny,

Its quite the opposite ... the switch is loose or has fallen off or has come loose out of its (crap) plastic bajonet-holder ... this causes the brake lights to stay on and the ABS-light to come on as well.

Make sure the (crap) Ford-switch is relocated properly again (its just above the brake pedal) and you will be fine again .... :blush:

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

As I understand it the brake lights are working normally so this would rule out the brake light switch. Sounds to me very much like a wheel sensor. Happened to me as it happened on the way to the dealers! They hooked up the tech1 and diagnosed the sensor fault.

If it is intermittent it could be a loose connection on a sensor or one is on its way out.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

They hooked up the tech1 and diagnosed the sensor fault.

Tech1.... not a FreeScan diagnostic then?

Gordon

You dont need freescan to check the sensors. The sensors are Hall effect sensors and if they are working correctly, when the rotor passes the end of the sensor, the sensor generates a signal which rises and falls depending on whether on not the rotor is next to the sensor. If the sensor has failed, there will be no change in the signal. To measure this is easy, you will need a voltmeter (or AVO). Remove wheel and disconnect the electric plug that goes into the sensor. If you now look inside, you will see 2 pins. Put the leads to the voltmeter onto the 2 pins. Turn the voltmeter to resistance, to a low setting, I set mine to 2 and turn the wheel. From memory (which isnt that good these days) the signal changed the reading from 1.6 down to 1.2 as the rotor passed the sensor. The sensor that didnt work stayed continuously at 1.4 or there abouts

Obviously if the sensors are OK you may then need the help of Tech 1

Regards

Ralph

Thanks for the info guys i will have alook at those things.....BUT

Did 6 trips in the car today and covered 50 miles..... not a hint of the ANTI LOCK light once :blush: ....dont you just love electronic gyzmos

Will update you as soon as things change but i dont want to start disconnecting sensor wires unless it breaks again

Cheers

Gordon

If it's not the brake light switch then it's probably your accumulator getting weak. I had an intermittant abs light for quite a while and hasn't happened since the accumulator was replaced.

Failing accumulator=yellow abs light

bad pressure switch=red brake light

1995 S4s