free hit
counters
Cap and rotor replacement - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hcetretsam

Cap and rotor replacement

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Aaron

you just need to un clip the two standard cap clips from the sides of the dizzy cap. it shluld just pop straight off. the rotor button is just a push fit same as most typical buttons.

admittadly though, you do need to be able to dislocate all five fingers on each hand to be able to achieve this, bot taking it off and putting it on...

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Thanks! Is this a common problem for these cars or is there something else I should be looking at as to why I do not have spark coming from the distributor?

I'm guessing the centre electrode on your cap has disintegrated. Otherwise it can only be the rotor, unless all 4 leads are trashed!

Oooh - one other thing - is your distributor shaft rotating?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Distributor shaft is turning. Rotor and cap looks worn but I have seen worse and cars still ran? Any repair manuals online, or perhaps wiring schematics of the ignition system?

If you're getting a spark from the coil lead then wiring schematics won't really help as your LT circuit is already functioning. I think it's a must to replace rotor and cap (and maybe leads) before you even try anything else. The cap could have loads of carbon tracking around it.

At least it's an inexpensive way to start!

One other thought: earths?

While I agree with you on the cap and rotor I just want to make sure there isnt something I could be overlooking. I am not a fan of replacing parts unless I am sure, and checking the diagram would confirm it for me. Where does the ecu receive its crank position signal from? Is there a pickup inside the distributor? What year did they stop using points and condensor? I am sure I am just overthinking this.

Don't have a diagram to hand - sorry.

Probably need to know more about the car, and the circumstance surrounding its 'layover'! If it's '88 then it's a Stevens so it has electronic ignition. Bottom line - if you're getting a spark to the distributor, then the circuit's working, and the only things that carry it from there are the rotor, cap and leads. There's nothing else to check. True, it could be firing at the wrong time, but the fact is, it's working.

Was anything done to the car since it last ran? Have you checked the cambelt setup? How about checking the static timing?

I maintain, though, that if nothing has changed since the engine last ran then I'd replace the cap and rotor without a second thought.