free hit
counters
Head off? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trevsked

Head off?

What the opinions on taking the head off whilst still in the car or engine out. I need to check properly but may have a head gasket problem and also one of the lower exhaust studs has worked loose. Lost a lot of water somewhere today.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Trevor,

As long as you can get the manifold off in situ and remove the sides of your engine cover it's fine.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I'm getting mine done just now and the engine is out for the job, It's much easier while out as it allows you to do everything you want to the engine and it's a whole lot easier to work on. taking it out is not a huge job really, I've had my engine out about 4 times now.

All the best

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Thanks all,

i am going to put it on the ramps and have a good look to see where the water is going butI suspect the water pump or at least the hose that connects to it. This was replaced recently during a C service along with all belts. Now it could be the hose not seated properly or the new belts adding pressure on the pump and that giving up.

Trevor.

If you have to change the water pump..pull the engine first!! I have done the job in situ, but I wish I hadn't...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Trevor,

Check the pipes that run through the chassis are clapmed in place. One of mine wasn't and worked it's way backwards so the crank pully ate it's way though the pipe and water came pi$$ing out...and it was on my birthday too so wasted 4 hours being recovered by the RAC.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Molemot,

Good advice thanks and if it is the water pump then...........

Peteyg,

Got ride in a big truck on your birthday, not all bad then :flower: . I will check the pipes but this morning feeling is that when they changed the water pump hose, perhaps the boss wasn't cleaned enough. The hose clip is tight but there is the usual witness of coolant staining in this area.

Trevor.

I removed the head from my S3 n/a with the engine in situ and the exhaust manifold attached in order to replace a load of bent inlet valves recently.

Although it can be a bit of a fiddle now and again, overall it's a doddle; took me about 2 to 3 hours to get it off.

If your water loss problem is down to a blown head gasket then you may need to get the head skimmed to true it up.

Aside from that, I'd invest in some stainless steel exhaust mainfold studs.

It's also worth fitting one of SJ's stainless steel tubular manifolds; once again a bit of a fiddle to fit, but much lighter than the original intem, sounds better and a darn site easier to remove with the engine in place if you ever need to in the future.

82s3,

Thanks. Does SJ do an exhaust manifold in stainless for the early turbo and if so has anyone got one and what do they think?

Trevor.

Don't think there are any stainless turbo manifolds..it's to do with the operating temperature I believe, the manifold is a special formula cast iron to take the temperature and the weight of the turbo unit.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yea you cant get a stainless manifold for the turbos as the stainless doesnt have enough hot strength to hold the turbo assy...without the aid of somekind of bracket. It amazes me the ally head holds the weight of the exhaust manifold, wastgate adaptor pipe and the turbo. That lot is so heavy it weighs a ton!!!

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

So if I can get these made up in Inconel there would be a few takers?

Trevor.