free hit
counters
coolant question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
M3S2k

coolant question

Hi all, as I was going over everything and prepping the car for the transmission reinstallation I have noticed that the header tank is virtually empty. My question is, is mixing coolant a bad thing? Looking into the tank it does look like the green stuff and when extracting some it almost looks clear and is not rated for very cool temps at all (-12C). I was planning on topping off with the green texaco coolant we always use, which is a ethylene glycol based, low silicate antifreeze. Says it is aluminum safe. I do intend on doing a full antifreeze flush in the next while, but wasn't planning on it at this moment.

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I went thru this at the 1st of the year too. The Lotus dealership replace my coolant two years ago and he said they use the

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

Hi all, as I was going over everything and prepping the car for the transmission reinstallation I have noticed that the header tank is virtually empty. My question is, is mixing coolant a bad thing? Looking into the tank it does look like the green stuff and when extracting some it almost looks clear and is not rated for very cool temps at all (-12C). I was planning on topping off with the green texaco coolant we always use, which is a ethylene glycol based, low silicate antifreeze. Says it is aluminum safe. I do intend on doing a full antifreeze flush in the next while, but wasn't planning on it at this moment.

Steve

Hi Steve well first thing that springs to mind before adding coolant, is find out where the coolant is going. This is kind of important. It may well be that some hoses have perished letting it out somewhere. After putting new coolant in and adjusting to the correct level keep an eye on it and hope its nothing more serious :thumbup:

350.gifNo.23

I think I've got this all figured out now, Steve. If your car left the factory with the driver side speaker grill as an "innie", you got the green stuff. If it left as an "outie", you get the red. If you push out the grill like Gunter suggested (he later "recanted"), then you run the risk of the coolant becoming rainbow colored, and "mixing" is, as previously mentioned, a "no no". :thumbup:

Joey and Kylie are right: find the leak (if it exists) and do a complete flush to be on the safe side.

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I am 99% sure there is no leak. I know the header tank has always been extremely low since I purchased the car. It has always been about an inch from the bottom of the tank. I am always extremely astonished by pics of peoples engines when they have removed their trunk floor. I see lots of rust, corrosion and what not there. When removing my trunk for the dreaded tranny removal I was relieved to see an engine that looked virtually new. Knock on wood, I have no signs of corrosion, no signs of any leaks whatsoever and the engine looked extremely clean except for the dust and grime I added driving down gravel and dirt roads with it. I'll see how my time goes, but for now I might just top up the header tank with the texaco coolant (can't be more than 1L down) and do a full flush later. I was reading your DIY Joey, that seems like quite the time consuming process, and I'm more paranoid that I'll have issues with air locking and what not. Is there another filler for the rad up front or does it all have to go in through the header tank once fully drained??

Steve

P.S. Joey, I loved my S2000, I've actually had about 7 of them over the past 5 years, imported a bunch and resold them here in Canada. They are a riot to drive and when it comes to transmission and daily driveability there is no comparision, but still it is no "Lotus", haha.

I am 99% sure there is no leak. I know the header tank has always been extremely low since I purchased the car. It has always been about an inch from the bottom of the tank. I am always extremely astonished by pics of peoples engines when they have removed their trunk floor. I see lots of rust, corrosion and what not there. When removing my trunk for the dreaded tranny removal I was relieved to see an engine that looked virtually new. Knock on wood, I have no signs of corrosion, no signs of any leaks whatsoever and the engine looked extremely clean except for the dust and grime I added driving down gravel and dirt roads with it. I'll see how my time goes, but for now I might just top up the header tank with the texaco coolant (can't be more than 1L down) and do a full flush later. I was reading your DIY Joey, that seems like quite the time consuming process, and I'm more paranoid that I'll have issues with air locking and what not. Is there another filler for the rad up front or does it all have to go in through the header tank once fully drained??

Steve

P.S. Joey, I loved my S2000, I've actually had about 7 of them over the past 5 years, imported a bunch and resold them here in Canada. They are a riot to drive and when it comes to transmission and daily driveability there is no comparision, but still it is no "Lotus", haha.

I spent one complete day doing the coolant flush on my car. But I flushed mine out several times to try to get all the old coolant out. After the 3rd time it was easy. I could do one in less than 20 minutes now.

Another reason to go with a different color coolant so you will know what coolant is in the car. I also leave a 1/3 of a gal of new coolant in the truck so I don

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

we will see how energetic i am this weekend. The tranny is going in tomorrow evening and I intend on going for a good long ride on thursday so i'll just top up the little that is needed with the green stuff I have, or I may possibly just add distilled water as it will definitely be flushed before winter anyways. We'll see. I am just dying for a good ride in the car as its been down for over 3 months now.