free hit
counters
Esprit Mileage - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Blanchard

Esprit Mileage

I was just looking at the LEW sales page and noticed that every car advertised had driven less than 100k miles, no matter what the age. That strikes me as very odd. Do Esprit's go beyond 100k or do they perminately have low mileage however much you drive them? :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to seeing a car on there with an honest 122,000k. Will it ever happen?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I intend to take mine twice round the clock but it won't appear on LEW for sale as it will never be sold ever, ever, ever - even though it and mechanics have driven me round the twist of late.

I noticed when buying mine a couple of years ago that nearly every car seemed to have around 60k miles clocked never more than 70k - often wondered what's that all about???

You must have a few k's on your lovely car Mark?

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Mark,

Yep, People stop driving them usually at 55K or at least the speedo stop for some reason around there :thumbup: .

This is not restricted to Lotus, have a look at Ferrari classified adverts, they have even longer noses.

I saw a yellow S4 in Autotrader last year with 80k and happend to look through old LEW ads and there it was with 120k with a previous owner.

Now here is one that will amuse you. I bought my car from Pistonheads with 55K on the clock in Bromsgrove. The last MOT verified this and although I really didn't take much notice of the reading when I collected it I was sure it said 55k. No word of a lie, by the time I reached home the reading was 48K. I assume someone had been "in there" at some point and that was the result. I am not really bothered as I bought the car on its condition and who knows what a 27 year old car has really covered if no service history to speak of.

Trevor

I'll get around to it at some point.

Mines just creeping out of the zone at 71k ...but its totally bona fide and got there in steady stages since I got it at 14k. Maybe a car like an Esprit will typically do 3k a year so 60k at 20 years old will be the norm??? I will be taking mine past 100k idc - tho it may take me another 10 years.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Well - whilst there must be some that have been clocked I do suspect that as cars get older and are used more for high-days/holidays/shows then mileage rates do drop significantly...

Oh - and what others have said - condition overrides mileage in any purchase of a classic.

Hmmm - just realised that I've only done 6k miles in last 11 years - I need to get out more... :D

Where's my coat? :thumbup:

Iain (with just over 60k on the clock - and 136k on the Elise!)

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

well mines got about 80k on it, i like to use it seem to get less problems when used every week (usually 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 times per week) well pretty much every day

It's Oogies turn to boogie

bought mine with 55k on the clock. all the Mot's and service docs validate this. I have put about 200 miles on in the month although the actual figure is much higher as my speedo broke on the trip to lew's oxford meet... only got 5k limited mileage. Il take it to be fixed..... soon..... well when the end of warranty looms! - i do seem to use it pretty much everyday

It's a conspiracy... :thumbup:

Just realised mine was about 55k when I bought her...

And just spotted that LEFty has hit the mid 50ks - does this mean LEFty gets it's mileage 'doctored' from here on? :D:)

The LEFty page on the forum main site has been updated, 56,626 miles to date!

Iain

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

I bought mine with about 55,000km on the clock too ... although since that the odometer started to go on the blink. At first it stopped recording when I was on one journey ... but now it's more like just 1 in 3 starts that it works. Funny thing is ... if I wind it forward to reset the trip-meter to 000.0 it clocks an extra KM on the odo ... just another thing I need to fix this summer.

Around 140,000 miles on Lottie now - and I've been with her for 138,000 of them!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

How many times have you been around the island with that mileage, Stu? Talk about going round in circles!! :thumbup:

118, 000 on the S2 at the mo and still climbing!

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Mine was bought with 46,000 I got het up yo about 56,000 and then she was off the road for almost 9 years and now she's off the road again for a fresh engine rebuild and has done about 1800 miles in between so roughly 58,000 miles on my 88 turbo.... and 0 on the engine!

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Funny that my, 88 had 56,799 when I bought it last year, I have no reason to dispute it according to all the service records it seems correct. The top half of the engine was rebuilt at less than 30,000 by the bills it looks like and overheating issue. So this is the third radiator!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I like the theory that the engines can easy do 100k plus but the odometers fail long before!

Mine has just gone of for repair leaving a nice hole in the dash. I now end up doing 20mph through 40mph speed cameras just to be on the safe side.

Purchased my 89 in 92 with 1700 on the clock. The car now has 93.5k+ and the only major repair has been a valve job which could have been avoided.

I don't use the car as much as I used to, mainly because of the work situation, but I am still adding around 5k a year. The local dealer has a plaque ready for me when the car hits 100k. Not to many Esprits in my neighborhood with that kind of mileage.

Funny thing is the comments I get from other Lotus owners when they hear of the mileage. Most are the usual, but a few look shocked that I would drive my car that much.

Hell, what do they think I bought the car for in the first place? To keep as a coffee table conversation piece?

If you've got it, drive it!

More people in the States need to drive theirs! People here are afraid to! Look at all of the 30k-40k mile Esprits there are here -- and I tend to believe those mileages by the lack of wear on the cars I see . . . and the fact that they are usually just sitting in people's garages, looking like they haven't been driven in a while.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

my car is about 500 miles off the magic 00000 mark :thumbup:

Although it's had so many owners, i wouldn't be surprised if it's been around once already

When i bought it, it was advertised at 94k though.... so who knows

Edited by andycs3

Mine had 72 something on when I bought it, I think...can't remember now. It was generally backed up by condition and paperwork. It's now got 75k on the clock and thats with the speedo running at 10-15mph fast so it's getting an extra 10% added on.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm with Al on the 'use it or lose it' theory. Most of my miles were done in the first 7 years from new when I lived in Manchester and commuted to the Wirral and other places. The main agents couldn't believe that I was doing 15-20k a year (which was a little disconcerting)...but one of their mechanics said mine was good to work on 'cos she was in constant use and not a garage queen with dried up hoses and damp electrics.

Mine's still the original engine too - when I sold her to Gavin in 2002 we thought he'd probably need a new engine, but Garry Kemp checked it over and declared it basically sound, if a little tired. I can't remember the details, but I think all her major components are still there - crank, stones, liners etc. Oh, and with some Kemp refinements like balancing and porting that's added 100bhp!

Damn, I love this car.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Mines ticked over the 40K today. Bought with 39K - only leaves me 2K left this year to play with and Hethal coming up in Oct so there goes another 700. Better up the milage allowance.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!