free hit
counters
Boosting issue - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Boosting issue

Hi

I am experiencing boost problems with my 90se. In first gear it seems to boost fine and we hit the red line nicely. However in second performance drops a bit and in 3-5 its not good at all.

When floored the boost guage (stock) goes right off the scale and by around 3500 rpm it stutters and wont do anymore. Almost like a fuel cut because its over boosted.

I am new to Esprits so if anyone can explain whats up and in laymans terms I would be most appreciated

Thanks

:D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I am experiencing boost problems with my 90se. In first gear it seems to boost fine and we hit the red line nicely. However in second performance drops a bit and in 3-5 its not good at all.

When floored the boost guage (stock) goes right off the scale and by around 3500 rpm it stutters and wont do anymore. Almost like a fuel cut because its over boosted.

I am new to Esprits so if anyone can explain whats up and in laymans terms I would be most appreciated

Thanks

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds like it is over boosting to me and cutting fuel. have you got freescan? if not you may need it.

have you tried disconnecting the wastegate solenoid to see what boost you get? you shouild have about 0.6 bar

if you have more then either it is adjusted incorrectly or the capsule is shagged

dave

p.s: the engine management light will come on after a while but ignore it. will go away wen u reconnect the solenoid. this can be reset via freescan or will clear in the ecu after 50 cranks of the engine.

Edited by DAVES_GT3

sounds like it is over boosting to me and cutting fuel. have you got freescan? if not you may need it.

have you tried disconnecting the wastegate solenoid to see what boost you get? you shouild have about 0.6 bar

if you have more then either it is adjusted incorrectly or the capsule is shagged

dave

p.s: the engine management light will come on after a while but ignore it. will go away wen u reconnect the solenoid. this can be reset via freescan or will clear in the ecu after 50 cranks of the engine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the advice. Being a bit of a novice you wouldnt happen to have access to an engine bay pic showing where the waste gat solenoid is woudl you?

All help very much appreciated :D

Thanks for the advice. Being a bit of a novice you wouldnt happen to have access to an engine bay pic showing where the waste gat solenoid is woudl you?

All help very much appreciated :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

steve

the wastegate solenoid is situated just above and to the right of the turbo. it has a black and blue bosch plug on it. two wires. pipe coming out of either end and is about an inch by half inch in size.

there hasnt been anyone messing with the turbo or the wastegate has there?

if u want to pm me i can probably help better over the phone. had a lot of boost problems on my gt3 so im relativly conversant with it. no lotus technichian tho :D

dave

First thing i would check is the condition of the rubber lines that come off of the compressor section of the turbo, and from the wastegate capsule bolted to the turbo housing. If one is damaged or has come loose, your symptoms can arise. Actually, it's probably just a good idea to replace them anyway. Even if they look intact, there can be a split in the rubber, and cause the car to overboost.

As far as the boost control solenoid goes...Open up the rear hatch, and you'll see a removable vertical panel held in by a few screws. The top part of the panel usually has a sticker that says something like 'FUEL PUMP CUT-OFF SWITCH' or something. Remove this panel and you'll see the following. Sounds like a boost hose leak to me though...

Craig

post-246-1129501552.jpg

post-246-1129501782.jpg

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Sorry for the blurry pic, and i know my engine bay looks a little different without the floor intact etc..., but you should get the idea.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Thanks a million guys I will be having a look at that tonight when I get in from work. From reading Dave's and Htowns reply I think your talking about 2 different solenoids? As Dave describes one outside the box and htown inside the box? I understnad the one dave is on about but Htown which one do I remove inside the box?

I will check the hoses by the way as I was thinking along the same lines

Thanks both

Dave's car is a newer one (GT3) and the solenoid layout is different on the SE and the early S4 cars.

As said previously, unbolt / screw the cover to the rear relay/fuse box. There are three visible bolts/screws locating into rawlnuts along the top and a few more under the carpet along the sides and bottom. There may also be one or more additional crosshead screws keeping the carpet in place...

The wastegate solenoid is the one on the far left as you look at the car from behind. Just disconnect the electrical connector from the top.

Ian

The capsule hose might have fallen off as they do all the time or maybe the hose has a a cut. If either the capsule or the hose is bad the ECU will cut fuel on over boost and it will feel like it is running out of gas until the boost backs off and the fuel pumps reengage.

The capsule hose might have fallen off as they do all the time or maybe the hose has a a cut. If either the capsule or the hose is bad the ECU will cut fuel on over boost and it will feel like it is running out of gas until the boost backs off and the fuel pumps reengage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had this over boost issue. The rubber pipe to the waste gate capsule from the soleniod had split open just after the jubliee clip.

Some what less boost after fixing this problem ! :( but at least the turbo will last a bit longer. :D

I had this over boost issue. The rubber pipe to the waste gate capsule from the soleniod had split open just after the jubliee clip.

Some what less boost after fixing this problem ! :D  but at least the turbo will last a bit longer.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just had a look at the car and the boost control frequency valve has a hose going in the bottom form the waste gate yet just a small piece of pipe coming from the top but with nothing attached to it from the engine bay! This doesnt seem right! What should be attached to it?

Thanks for all your answers :(

Edited by Blue4Ice

the hose which i believe should be going back to the valve (from turbo housing) appears to have been extended and is disappearing through a hole by the left hand (from the rear) fuel tank. Just getting the trim panel off now to have a look

Well I think the odd tube going towards the fuel tank was in fact the boost guage. However reconnecting the pipes to get a full circuit into the value seems to have sorted the boost issue but I have no boost guage. A t-piece should sort it nicely! :D

the hose which i believe should be going back to the valve (from turbo housing) appears to have been extended and is disappearing through a hole by the left hand (from the rear) fuel tank. Just getting the trim panel off now to have a look

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The hose coming out of the top of the boost control frequency valve comes from the compressor housing of the turbocharger. The valve takes 'boost' from the turbo on the top, then regulates how much comes out of the bottom to the wastegate capsule. Without this hose attached, you're driving a time-bomb.

Craig

I'd bet good money that the previous owner had either a boost controller or auxillary boost guage T'd into the line from the turbocharger to the top of the boost control frequency valve. Who ever sold the car obviously ripped either the controller (most likely) or the guage out and didn't even bother replacing the line.

Hate to tell you this, but she's gonna feel slower when you replace that line, although at least it will be safe.

Craig

edit: Now you have me wondering....I'm curious if the previous owner had the nipple on the turbocharger has been blocked off. Other wise, without the hose connected from turbo to solenoid, the turbo would cook itself in a matter of seconds trying to keep up.

Edited by Htown

Yeah I think that could have been the case basically it was just boosting from the normal boost point right up to the max on the stock boost guage by about 3.5k revs. THen fuel cut cut in and power was reduced. It was feeling very slow on the way home yesterday (when i got it) as the car couldnt go above 3.5 rpm.

However now I have plumbed it back in properly (as per diagram) it boosts all the way to the red line! :D However the gauge isnt working so will t-piece that in tomorrow to get an idea of what boost I am running. I think then it should be sorted :( (I hope)

Thanks alot for all your help. I will defo be needing more in the future! lol