free hit
counters
Oil pressure - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blue4Ice

Oil pressure

Just a quickie, where should the oil pressure guage sit when the car is at idle and when giving it a bit of throttle?

Edited by Blue4Ice

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On my S4, the guage sits just below (and I mean just fractionally) below centre and it is a little higher - sometimes rising to almost 3/4 at high rpm.

Ian

Ian

mmm.... my S4 doesnt, when warm on idle it rests just above the red line, when revved it goes up to half, maybe a bit more at higher revs. This could be interesting!

mmm.... my S4 doesnt, when warm on idle it rests just above the red line, when revved it goes up to half, maybe a bit more at higher revs. This could be interesting!

Exactly the same in FGRC ('97 GT3 with very new hybrid S4 engine)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

To be honest, I am not sure that the senders / guages are that accurate anyway!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if the speedo is anything to go by your right! Once whilst following a mate his speedo & sat nav said 75mph, mine dead on 85mph. So is my true milegage about 62k & not the 72k its now shows? I rekon so!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same on my S3 :D

Not sure its so much of a problem, the owners manual states a very low min pressure when at idle and as the others say, depends on how accurate the guage is.

Chunky Lover

Mine, when warm sits on about a quarter and then goes up to about a half when gunning it so you guys have put my mind to rest that my oil pressure is ok :D

I've just got over my oil pressure issues for this year. Had a big service last year and earlier this year I topped it up with some Mobil 1 oil. Pressure started to drop scarily during the Summer months in that it would drop well into the red when sitting at idle (after a long drive). Pressure was down to 0.4 bar, which is well into the red (0 to 1.0) bar. Lotus states that 0.35 or above is fine.

Worried me still though as the red pressure light kept coming on. I rechecked the type of mobil oil I was topping up with and was shocked to see that it was 0 - 60 oil. Drove around till I found some 15 50 mobil 1 stuff. CHanged the oil and now pressure now sits around 2 to 2 half bar at idle when warm - much happier now.

So - check the type of oil you're using and maybe bump it up to some thicker stuff. :D

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017