free hit
counters
Alarm goes off in heavy rain ? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Alarm goes off in heavy rain ?

Ok I know its outside but its under a very heavy cover,tied down too,yet as soon as we get some heavy rain and a gust of wind its goes off,uselly in the early morning.

I had thought it might be the wind blowing up throw the air vents in the dash or a poorly fitting rubber seal,as the main cab sensor is down in the centre consol map box thingy I find it hard to think of anything else in the cab part.

I have checked the bonnet and engine cover switches and these seem ok.

So any help or ideas would be great.

GC1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can set the alarm but without the microwave. i used to do that when i reversed into the garage.. the door would go over the top of the windscreen cutting the beam (setting the alarm off) when i opened the door to get the car out.

Speaking of microwaves. My English microwave oven use to set off the neighbours car alarm - took us a while to figure that one out.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

The 2.4 ghz frequency that is used by the alarm is also the same frequency (ish) used by most Wireless LAN devices. (802.11 b and g)

It's also used by microwave ovens.

Interestingly, 2.4ghz is used by microwaves as it's the optimum frquency for heating water. So next time you setup a wireless access point in your house, remember we are mostly made of water when you locate it! I actually have mine on a timer to go off at midnight and come on again at 8am.

as for the alarm.. you can meddle with the range of the microwave device if you need to by removing the rubber cap and turning the gain down. Make a note where the pointer is before you adjust it though in case you need to put it back to where it was.

I found out the hard way that it's best not to test your alarm siren inside your garage.. the noise is amplified somewhat!

Certainly doesn't do much for your Tinattus!