free hit
counters
A very special S1 -- UPDATED - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A very special S1 -- UPDATED

Tony K

Watch the YouTube:

Every collector or fanatic about a particular car dreams of that perfect find. The pristine, low mile, one owner, rare color, just-as-it-left-the-factory example. This is as close to perfect as I think I am ever going to find. Most people only dream about this happening, or read about such finds in the magazines. I am so very lucky to have this car in my possession. :lol:

Here are a few facts about this car:

Chassis 134H

4009 original miles

One owner. It has an open title right now, so I can remain a transfer agent and the person who buys it can be the second documented owner. Legally, it is still a one owner car right now.

All documentation, including importer document, bill of sale, original salesman's business card, manuals, emissions warnings, etc., and a copy of Newsweek from the week the car was delivered.

One of only six orange S1s imported to the U.S. (of which four, including this one, were in-the-mould finishes) and eight total with LHD.

The finish is nearly flawless -- there is a small scratch that will polish out, a tiny chip on the bottom of one wheelwell, and a hard-to-see crack low on the rear valance. That's it.

The original tires have most of their tread left and are still soft, with no dry rot.

The brown marcasite is rich and dark

The seats are perfect, and firm as new.

The trim is perfect.

All of the rubber on the car is soft and strong.

This car has as much wear and deterioration as a well-kept 2-year-old car with 4000 miles.

The original owner removed the emissions equipment, changed the spark plugs and fuel filter, and removed the plastic fuel fittings, but otherwise the car has never had a wrench turned on it. All original parts have been kept, and the rest of the car is just as it left the factory, except for a pair of fog lights installed by the importer in New York.

It feels, looks, and smells new.

Sitting in it is like going back to 1977.

I'm sure there is a lower mileage example somewhere and a better-preserved example somewhere, but it won't be orange.

I always said that if I found an orange one, I would buy it.

So there.

However, I am debating whether to keep the car and make it my own, or pass it on to a qualified owner. Among S1s, this car is museum quality. I am always among the first to encourage people to drive their classics, but I feel that this particular car should be preserved. If I keep it, I will continue the climate controlled storage. However, if there is someone who is an experienced and qualified collector who is similar minded to me and can provide the car absolutely proper care (both in environment and handling), I could be persuaded to let it go.

What should I do?

In the mean time, I will be carefully cleaning this car of all of its accumulated road dirt, taking gentle measures to preserve the rubber and fabric, and photo-documenting it as a restoration guide for S1s (especially Federal!). I already have 200+ photos of details of screws, assembly, upholstery, paint, positioning, etc. I am, of course, well aware that S1s are all a little different and there were many small changes in the less than two years they were made, but I have seen enough to also note many consistencies; So to all of you restoring S1s, if you want to know how something is supposed to be or look, here is your time capsule for reference. :)

PHOTOS TO COME

Bibs, add 77020134H to the registry! :)

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An amazing find!! How did you come by it Tony? Were you looking or did it find you?

As to what to do with it - keep it of course!!

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

HOLY $HIT!!!

Tony - you have GOT to hang on to that car. You have other drivers and at least you KNOW you can trust YOU to preserve that car in the manner it deserves.

erm... what happened to the Ferrari?

Tony K, you are brilliant! You so know you're gonna keep that car :lol::) :) :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Tony,

Where do you find those cars. Damn it, of course the most S1 are in the USA.

What is the price of this S1? Maybe I know some one who is interested.

And yes what's with the 308GTB?

Cheers,

Jean

GOBSMAKED!!!!!!!!

my ultimate Esprit........(as ex owner of 39G its no wonder :lol: )

BUT

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont lock it away......i'm not saying run it into the ground cos it is obviously very very special...HOWEVER you need to get it out and about on the best days of the year...

so everyone can stand and point and wish!!!!!!!

luv it

Nuff said

Cheers - jim

• Gold FFM

Wow - what a find! What other details have you on where its been and why its hardly been used and how you came to find her? I call that a Xmas day and Birthday only car. Couple of drives a year to give her a treat. If you have two others, why would you need to put milage on one as low as that one with two others to choose from. Yep, definately a 'keeper' Tony.

P.S. - You're going to need a bigger garage soon :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Tony,

Wow, wow, wow, and WOW!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Congrats on a great find. :)

Being who you are, and being what the car is - you should keep it.

You are the S1 guru. :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

Nice- very, nice.

Timothy

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1268.jpg

DSCF1304.jpg

DSCF1365.jpg

This is the car as-found -- not washed, not waxed, not vacuumed, nothing. Loaded onto the trailer, brought home, and one sweep with a California Duster. :)

(The black waistline trim on the doors was coming loose, so the original owner pulled it off and put it in the boot rather than lose it. The screen for the rear valance is also in the boot; he removed it to adjust the silencer position after removing the catalyst, and "just never put it back".)

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

• Gold FFM

Tony - I would sell me bum in Brighton for that...........what a rare find.

Again, what a find. Totally concur with the "dream scenario" - I dream of finding an S1 lik this constantly.

Your only problem is that whilst White / Blue / Red and now Orange have crossed your path, you are missing on the best combination of Yellow & Tartan! ( Period & Giugiaro in harmony - very Hethel '70's! )

That's a hell of a find - could not think of a better patron.

Make sure it's bought!

All The Best

Scott.

Seen it's bought - well done that man! I had three for 'bout three weeks........

I love that tyre tread pattern so much............

In the interests of S1 values Stateside, was it dear? ( Expensive )

Going green ( why did no one in Engerlerland harbour an S1for me to find? )!!!!!!

Sod Disney, I want to come to your garage!

ATB

Scott.

I can understand your dilemma. I would be scared to drive it in case it got damaged and I would worry about it deteriorating. But then I would worry about it deteriorating while being stood. I think you should move to California, Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico to make sure it doesn't see damp air. It's amazing how well the dry-Californian air looks after the car compared to, say, North Carolina.

Well done for rescuing it from storage obscurity.

Whose Merak is that in the picture?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Just .... well.... STUNNING!

Are S1's the muts nuts or what !

You suck, Tony!

Jealous! :unworthy:

How can you not keep it? Still waiting for the story of how you came across it, and in your home state, no less?

someone must have died....

Keep it coming, Tony!

(:) fancy it needs a cambelt, tho' :unworthy:)

That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllll

The colour really suits it, dosn't look like a 31 year old design at all.

The three lined up remind me of the drones in the film Silent Running, Huey, Dewey and louie, must be the 70's colours.

Tough decision on what to do with it, shame to ruin it, but also a shame not to use it.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Tony what a great find. i had a similar experience last year when i found an S3 turbo with only 2200 miles on the clock. I didn't buy it because it wasn't going cheap especially when you take re-commissioning into account. I did start thinking though that if i did buy it, would i be happy taking it out once a month for a blast? The car was so mint that the leather didn't have a crease and all paper work was white! I came to the conclusion that it belonged in a museum and regular driving would be detrimental to this unique car. Not an easy decision to make but made easier depending on the financial outlay for it.

Edited by botus

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

keep it! keep it! keep it! That way I can come see it next time I am up that way. You still haven't said what you are doing with the 308.

How did you come across the owner of this car? He didn't just post a for sale sign in the newspaper did he?