free hit
counters
Small re-route of the cooling bypass pipe - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tb3033

Small re-route of the cooling bypass pipe

Hi,

As part of the refit I decided to go ahead and do the cooling system modification detailed in the Lotus service bulletin 1986/26. I've acquired most of the parts to do this but many of the aluminium pipes have badly corroded so I'd rather not reuse them or pay the rather unreasonable cost of new replacements.

So, my question; is it OK to join the bypass pipe from the thermostat to the end of the chassis transfer pipe via a T-piece rather than on the bend attached to the same transfer pipe?

This also avoids the use of the alloy pipe that routes around the moving parts close to the thermostat since the bypass hose is now heading towards the front of the car and can be very well secured out of harms way. Obviously the alloy bend is no longer needed and can be replaced by a standard elbow. The three other alloy pipes in the old system are binned as part of the mod too.

Below are the diagrams, 1st one is the original Lotus mod, 2nd is my current plan

Any comments welcomed

original.jpg

proposed1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would have thought using a T-piece instead of the special alloy joining piece would make no difference to the working of the system. I modified my beast to the new Lotus spec. last year, and it is much better. I'd say try it and see what happens...I'd be surprised if it created any problems. It is, after all, only a bypass until the thermostat opens.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Hi John,

Thanks for your opinion, its not really a radical change is it? I'll cross fingers and go ahead with it.

You mention that the new system is much better, can you explain how?

Thanks

Ambrose

With the old system, I found that the engine took quite a while to warm up, and the running temperature varied quite markedly; also, if running in adverse conditions - like traffic jams on a very hot day - I was glued to the temperature gauge and continually worrying whether the fans would cut in or the engine would get too hot...now the temperature goes up to normal level, and stays there constantly. In addition, the coolant level in the header tank was a moveable feast, and peering in the top with the cap off was the only way to check it... having to estimate the level at "about 2" below the top" . Now a glance at the plastic tank shows the level instantly, and it holds nicely steady. Even the heater works properly!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Definitely sounds worth the effort... for the short time my car was working I recognise some of those observations. I can't wait, an esprit with a working heater

Thanks

Ambrose