free hit
counters
Megasquirt - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I did a search and some people have kicked around the idea of getting rid of the GM ECM and installing a Megasquirt system. Well I am thinking of venturing down that road as I have heavily modified my car and can't seem to get the injection system to corporate. The biggest problem with the GM unit is tuning it. From my knowledge the only people that have hacked the GM ECM are John from WC Engineering, Marcus, and Andy Whittaker. The problem is John is extremely busy and far away from me Marcus is REALLY far away as is Andy. I have gone through a few chips from John and the car runs pretty well but its those limitations of the GM unit that are just annoying. I need to be able to tune the car myself live so I have decided to scrap the GM system and go for a new stand alone.

Has anyone delt with the Megasquirt systems before? I really like the idea of the open source DIY system and its only around $200!!! :-) At that price mine as well try it and if it doesn't work I can always put the GM system back in :-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a valid point about megasquirt.. .but you still need to create a base-map... that is why I've never tackled it. You need to have an idea of the milliseconds of open time you need your injectors to start and then build the whole map from there. I don't know if you've experienced this, I have not, but I do have a good idea of how difficult it would be to do. However, the closest engine I can think of is the SR-20DET... so if you can find one of those base maps for mega-squirt.. .I'd start there. Once you've compiled a good base... I'm sure many here would be interested in getting a copy.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

I have a very good friend that has gone/is going the distance with Megasquirt. He has a 308 GTS Ferrari that he has designed an entire intake system to put inplace of his Weber carbs. He has done this in such a way that the car is not altered and can be returned to a carbed car in less than a few hours. Anyway, I have little doubt that he would be happy to send you or anyone else some info and thoughts... so if you like, send him an e-mail. He may take a couple days to get back to you, but he will eventually...

Daniel Baggett

[email protected]

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I'm pretty sure the programming capability of megasquirt will be able to determine how many crank positions there are on the sensor..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

I had my 912 running MegaSquirt for about 3 years before fitting the Audi engine.

I now use a VEMS ECU on the V8 which is very similar and uses the same tuning software.

Have a look at this to give you an idea of how the system works VEMS thread

Any other questions then give me a shout.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Punky has Megasquirt on EV6, his V6 Esprit.

http://www.espritv6.co.uk/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have no experience with mega sqirt but I run a DTA S60 pro along with a wideband lambda controller on my modified 88 turbo and it seems to work pretty well.

Modifiactions done to my car are, Fully gas flowed head with stiffer valve springs, sport 300 valves, 104 inlet cam, 650cc siemens injectors, T35 hybrid turbo,K&N filter, chargecooler, piston tops alluminium carbide coated, everything that rotates has been ballanced, uprated organic clutch.... etc etc the dta and wideband work well with these mods and the car is smooth and pulls really well, the DTA is a pretty easy system to tinker with too as I'm not that clued up on mapping but input the lambda corrections on the base map on a regular basis and it just keeps getting better...

Good luck

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Wow some people have done some really wild stuff with Megasquirt. Thanks guys! I think this is the way I am going to go.

Hey Mark, did you do away with the secondary injectors and just run 650cc primaries with the DTA? I assume with the more advances fuel system you can run much larger primary injectors without having idle problems.

Glyn... how is that possible... 220cc injectors mathematically can't support over 150hp in a 4 cylinder engine without secondaries...

I think the car is called a Rover 220.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ahhhh i see.. woopsy daisy... LOL!!! We don't have Rover's over here... never even occured to me.

Yeah, bibs is correct :devil:

The car is a Rover 220 Turbo.. they had a nickame of 'Tomcat' and were raced fairly successfully.

Injectors are more than up to the job, and readily available.

Apparently at 5 bar fuel pressure, they will manage 300bhp.

Mine run at about 4.5 bar, and about 85% duty cycle (I think.. going from my memory of a rolling road session about 2 years ago!)

I'm sure I remember reading you shouldn't run more than 85% duty or something..

Yep... 80-85% duty cycle is considered max.

Hi, Yeah I have done away with the secondary injectors and just run the big primaries, 650cc at 3 bar and 850cc at 5 bar i'm sure my fuel pressure is less than 3 bar though. I also had to have a 36-1 toothed wheel fitted to thr front of the crank behind the pullies and a bracket made up for the crank postion sensor. My loom was made by QED and is greaty quality!

Cheers

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport