free hit
counters
Steering column lock and switch - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
giorgio67

Steering column lock and switch

Hi

does anyone know the differences between the A079H6001F steering column lock/ignition switch and the A079H6004F ?

I have seen on the parts list that the A079H6004F is for the USA and rest of world and are listed in the Factory sale as:

A079H6004F Steering lock with key sensor Esprit 1976-87

A079H6004F Steering lock assy with buzzer Esprit S1/2/3

so, I'd like to know if I can use one of these on my Uk LHD as mine is totally broken.

It's very cheap from Factory, on Sj page the UK type is listed at 115 gbp....

I'm trying to save some money so any helps welcome.

Thanks as always.

CHeers

Edited by ghe67

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think the main differences are that the USA version as a contact on the top to sound a buzzer if the driver's door is opened when the key is in the ignition. They also have the push button release which sticks out of the bottom of the steering column shroud. You may have to make a hole for this but, apart from that, I think it should fit. The wire for the buzzer is separate from the rest of the loom to the switch so that should not be a problem.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

FWIW, the key inserts into the right hand side of the steering column on US cars. Never having driven in the UK (there's always been somebody else to drive), I have no idea if the key is on the same side! If so, it's probably compatible.

UK, key goes in from the right as well (I had wondered that) and has the button at the bottom to get the key out, think my UK ignition switch has a power on when ignition off pole, so could accommodate the buzzer for keys in as well, so it's really puzzling what the differences could be.

Andy

Hi,

thanks for the answers.

Do you know if this part from the Factory list will comes with a pair of keys?

Andy,

sorry but could you please better explain what you mean with the phrase: .....so it's really puzzling what the differences could be.

Thanks, sometimes my english is very rusty...

Cheers

Edited by ghe67

Sorry, I meant.

So I can't think of any real differences , so cannot think why they would be different part numbers.

Sorry, I meant.

So I can't think of any real differences , so cannot think why they would be different part numbers.

Thanks Andy,

I would try to find a member (maybe Matk) that will be able to help me for the order, as I'm in Italy and I can't do anything from here.

Thanks again for your help.

Ciao :welcome: