free hit
counters
Lotus V8 in Cobra replica - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Loose Cannon

Lotus V8 in Cobra replica

At the LM Classic we spotted this exceptional Cobra (not an expert, I don't know if it's a rep or AC original) and noticed it had a very well integrated Lotus V8 installed.

I recall Brian Angus at the factory do a couple of years ago saying Lotus had crates of the things left lying about, brand new and warrantied for

Edited by LooseCannon

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Coooooooooool

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

AC offered the 3.5TT in the CRS model for a while but it fased out as wholly unsuited to the car and wasn't awfully popular.. the power delivery just catching out drivers while not giving the outright tyre shredding torques of the bigger vees.. let's be honest - you get in a Cob and you want it to sound like a small or big block ford.. not an asthmatic 355.. :welcome:

Actually I'd love the thought of a very high rpm, high output n/a Lotus V8 if someone could have built me one, dry sumped and get the weight down in my special but it'd be just as easy to buy a crated Powertec v8 and box.. if I ever sold the Chevy I'd still look at this but hate the thought of going back to lots of electrics/ecus...

Edited by M Blur

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

It was also fitted (or at least offered as I've only ever seen the one factory demo) in this unfortunate looking car, the AC Ace:

ac_ace.jpg

Again, people weren't prepared to pay the extra required over a simple large capacity Yank V8 and just didn't buy. That and the fact the car is as ugly as sin.

That Cobra was listed for sale at Drivestyle Horseless Carriages i recall, i remember my brother pointing it out to me, but i recall saying it was a waste of time as the Lotus V8 is too smooth for a Cobra, you need something raw!!!

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

crs also had a carbon comp body option so could be made super light combined with the lighter Lotus block.. in performance terms it was a good idea but the Cob is a handful and too swb imo and so you're adding carbon to a sledgehammer.. might as well put a brute inside and be done with it..

now a Daytona with the 3.5TT - that I could get my head around..

The 'Ace of Spades' proto was up for sale yrs ago and had 4wd.. it was prettier than the finished model and was tempted..

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Very rare car - Peter is right its a "real" AC cobra 212 that came with the lotus v8 from new. Its not a replica.

Virtually none sold - universally panned by the magazines: no cobra v8 rumble, massive power = monumental wheelspin and general lack of traction/handling nastiness. Was a pretty expensive car at the time too. From memory the spec of the engine was exactly as per the Esprit ie 350 bhp.

... but what purpose does the bonnet scoop perform?...... :)

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

By a strange quirk of fate, the original thread has just resurfaced from December 2007 on Pistonheads. The current owner was just picking up his new car.

Some pictures and quotes from the lucky owner (James):

One of only two AC Cobra 212 S/C's (the other is in the States & LHD), driven by Damon Hill / Jezza etc and used as the pace car on the first UK NASCAR race - Carbon Fibre Body, 950kg total weight, Lotus 3.5ltr Twin Turbo 350 bhp engine - counting down the minutes now

cobra.jpg

Initial driving impressions are that it is an extremely quick car - its easy to spin the wheels in 1st to 3rd gears even with part throttle - have been very carefull driving it in these wintery conditions, but on a dry road its easy to understand how it *could* hit 0-60 sub-4 seconds and a sub 9 seconds to 100mph. The cabin is also surprisingly warm with heaters on full blast - the side windows (removable) make a big difference.

I'm going to start researching the car and compiling all the available information on it - I know that it is only one of two built (the other is LHD and in the states - need to confirm this as I've never seen photo's of the other car) and that it was the AC Cars Factory Press car and hence featured in several publications at the time (2000 - Esquire, with Damon Hill driving it and EV0 with Harry Metcalfe at the wheel).It has also been driven and featured in a Jeremy Clarkson DVD/Video and driven by Mark Blundell on a press day:

AC_Cobras_230.jpg

It was also used as the Pace Car at the first NASCAR Race in the UK - going to try and find out details on this. Leaving the factory (note no stone chip protectors on the rear wings) it also had a front splitter

AC212.jpg

very nice find, wonder what kind of transmission they have matted to that engine??

very nice find, wonder what kind of transmission they have matted to that engine??

If I remember correctly AC commented that the gearbox used in the Cobra allowed full boost 0.75bar in all gears. The Esprit' Renault gearbox limits the max boost, allowing the max of 0.75bar only in 5th gear when travelling over 130mph.

Edited by peter_england99

Don

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

When my friend was having his V8 serviced in Copenhagen, the tech said a Porsche gearbox would work with the Lotus V8, has anyone else heard of this? Not being a techy myself, i leave it to the paid professionals, but just curious as there's been many a modification done that someone must have looked into this?

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

Could be a future megabucks classic maybe? in answer to the OP, the na 918 was rated at 280 hp i believe, i don't know of any cars that used it though

Edited by Peter

yes. Porsche boxes will work with the V8 and 4cyl install..

Forgot this was called the 212 - the CSR was the same body but with the normal Ford sbc

Jon

Do you know which ones exactly, i was going to pass the details on to my mate when his goes as its done nearly 30k and he's been told it will go soon, so it might be a long term fix, would it be the 911 box or are they similar or the same as the Boxster?

Thanks for that.

G15-G50 variants for 5-speed, G60 for 6-speed.. should both cope with a standard TT easy enough.. you can spec turbo (G50-50) for more torque - I've gone for the G50-50 with GT2 internals rated to 850bhp.

main thing is the shifter - the adapter plate should be easier to do - main thing is the shifter - Gardner Douglas have both rod (5-speed) and cable (6-speed) linkages for about

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif