free hit
counters
Footwell courtest lights. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Glyn Harper

Footwell courtest lights.

Just on the last stage of my new interior!! All the wiring is now fully functional, so I'm starting to put the actual dash in now.

Just one question.. With the interior, came a pair of footwell courtest lights, and a couple of little aluminium plates which I assume is used to mount them.

I've located the wiring OK, but I don't know exactly where they fit though! I know it's in the footwell somewhere, of course, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Do they screw onto the bottom of the dash, or onto the centre tunnel somewhere?

A quick pic would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Glyn.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Try in the V8 section for a picture as the GT3 in all it's stripped out lovelyness, doesn't have 'em! From what I remember, they were just mounted to the underside of the lower dash. Nothing more exotic than either a pop-rivet or self tapping screw.

screwed directly in the lower edge of the dashboard/knee-bolster section on my car. it's only an sheet of aluminum plate , open wiring an an cross head screw -pure and simple

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

got any pics of the new interior?

are you using LED replacement strips flex strips? gives a nice glow and can be inserted anywhere under the dash

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

It's not quite finished yet Karl, but I will post some pictures when it's done.

Luckily I managed to do a top job of filling the old 'cutout' in the top dash, and painting it nicely prior to doing the rest of the job.

See these before, during and after pics

http://www.isometric-uk.com/before.jpg

http://www.isometric-uk.com/during.jpg

http://www.isometric-uk.com/after.jpg

I challenge anyone to spot the join where I filled!

Karl, I do like the idea of some LED strip lights actually, but it would have to be the flexible stuff in case my feet catch them. What do you recommend?

so you use an design-spray , instead of those bad 'glimmering' plastic leather imitation on the dashboard topside !?

wow i didnt realise you ripped it out completely looks really good

errr try these, yep on fleebay, but a led is a led lol, i was going to use them as

footwell lights and the flat version under the door as access lights. (totally waterproof)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=led+str...mp;_trksid=m270

about

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

That's some major work, when did you last drive it? You're going to make mine look scruffy.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Gunter, I used a special paint that is meant for repairing plastic dashboards. It's really good. Takes a little while to set, but when it does it looks terrific and is quite hard wearing I think.

It is better than the original leather. (Which is pre stretched real leather).

I had a look at those LED strips Karl. In the end, I went for some of those festoon LED bulbs from ultraleds.co.uk I got red ones in the end, as it'll go with my black/red theme.

Thanks for your comments Roger! It's getting there now.

Here are the latest pictures.. It's pretty much complete now. My pal is going to work on the hybrid steering column tonight, so I'll hopefully be driving by the weekend!

Sorry the pictures are a bit grainy.. I took them with the camera on my phone.

http://www.isometric-uk.com/nearly1.jpg

http://www.isometric-uk.com/nearly2.jpg

http://www.isometric-uk.com/nearly3.jpg

http://www.isometric-uk.com/nearly4.jpg

Hard to believe it's a 1988! Taken some work though..

The eagle eyed enthusiasts will still be able to spot a couple of bits which show it as an 88.. The bonnet is still the original one, and the fuel filler flap release is still the original cable operated ones.

I intend changing the bonnet for the later one as soon as I can source a decent one!

Edited by Glyn Harper

don't change the 'high type-bonnet', that means your wiper system is more covered from airstream that attacks the wiper in it's rest position (especially if you fit the huge (to huge , in my eyes..) Renault Twingo wiper arm.

Gunter, I have heard people say bad things about the later wiper. Is it really much worse than the early one?

I like the look of the later bonnet. But if it is going to make the car worse, I will not fit it.

i suggest, try the old one first! I'm angry every time i stop the car after an (in Germany of course..) motorway run. The air in an speed region from 150km/h and more... produces so much force on it, that the internal system(the lever system under the dashboard) can resist. Normally it should stay in position, as the lever and gear in the motor assembly does not allow free-play. But it moves from rest position (in rest on the rubber-block) up-wards to 1/3 of the typical wiper area. And the bad thing is that it does not came down fully if you slow down the car on the country road... .

The other point is it looks like an "fault" or "toy part" on our cars. Especially as we in Mainland Europe know that it is the same as fitted to the Twingo. Modern cars do also have an covered wiper system, in order to prevent harm for persons and to maximize the free airflow on the other hand. So you have an good engineered car if you use the slim one, not the fat Renault type.

But thats my personal opinion, not an general criticism about Lotus engineering :)

Edited by G

I wonder what will happen if I change to the later bonnet, but use the same older wiper arm I have now?

I must say, it doesn't cause me any problems at the moment.. I just like the look of the later bonnet.

Goodness.. just googled the renault Twingo.. it is the same arm!

Edited by Glyn Harper

It's an 'reuse' by Lotus cars, but the system was designed and engineered for an "slow" 60hp town car. Not an 280km/h coupe !

loving the pods on the dash, what type of gauges are you using in there? i assume one is a boost and the other temp?

did you design them yourself?

also can you take a pic of the glow when you have installed the lights, really want to start on my interior, there is a young

lad near my mates garage who has just started up in buisness doing it, i can feel a deal coming on LOL.

hopefully those bulbs should come today Karl, and I'll be able to take some pictures. I'm hoping i'll get the the steering column in tonight and finish the job properly.

Then I'll use my proper camera and tripod to get some proper pictures.

The extra pod contains the boost gauge and also a fuel pressure/voltage gauge.

The actual pod I wasn't overly pleased about. I paid a local body shop to do it for me. The original idea I had, and I told them, was to sink the gauges down into the top slightly, so mimick the way they are in the Atari ST. (sorry, the Focus ST I mean).

They've not really done that, and the angles are all wrong too.

My next idea is to get another spare 'top' bit, and have a go myself, putting a little cover on it like the main instrument cluster so it doesn't look so out of place.. I think the way it is currently ruins the look a bit.

I'll then send it away to Lotus to get either painted with Senotex like they come from the factory, or leather trimmed, depenending on what it looks like.

If you decide to go for a V8 interior Karl, let me know and I'll offer what help I can.

The interior swap isn't so hard really.. it's the wiring that will be the most hassle. I wouldn't have tackled it if I hadn't been quite good with auto electrics to start with.

not going for the interior swop as im not a fan of the sofas he he he, to be honest.

i was thinking of a boost gauge on my 'a' pillar though and re-trimming the centre of the seats

in quilting with lotus emblems in the back with "GT3" in new style text underneath, and having

new carpet with light blue edging and alcantara gaiters, all stiching in light blue though, with the

same quilting on the door cards. we shall see

Sofas? I have the GT3 seats which are really slimmed down things. Weigh half the weight of the original seats.

Lotus are the best for re trimming. Book it in through your local supplier, and they can do pretty much any colour combination you want.

I'm a massive fan of Alcantera.. That's why the centre of my seats are alcantera.

sorry when you said V8 i thought you meant the sofa's that come in the v8's.

lotus are pretty well priced i must say but with the stiching i want i can see it going

through the roof as its not normal, my mum of all ppl was going to do it as the GT3

seats are basically 2 bits of foam as i dont want the outer touching as its fine.

but i might give this young lad a go as he has just started up and will need a decent car

for the portfolio (which means super cheap deal). and as he has just started he wont be

p#ssed of with his job yet so will prob be extra carefull. plus he has all the lotus logos

on this big expensive machine he has leased, so he can strip the seat and embroider

straight onto the original material and carpets to match

I think someone on the LEW site had seats embroidered, and you have to watch that the stiching doesn't trash the leater totally. May be worth asking around first.

Dermot possibly had them done I think.. can't remember.