free hit
counters
CYLINDER HEAD REMOVAL - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DRIVER

CYLINDER HEAD REMOVAL

I have a blown exhaust manifold gasket. I don't think the manifold comes off without removing the cylinder head. I would like to do a valve job and all

reccomended repairs at that time. I would appreciate any advice

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I have a blown exhaust manifold gasket. I don't think the manifold comes off without removing the cylinder head. I would like to do a valve job and all

On the 89+ -94 S4s Esprit 4cyl cars

You have to remove the manifold before removing the head.

Recommended repairs depends on the milage.

Usually, check the valves and seats, replace the gasket, check the cylinder walls. When the head is off, DO NOT turn the crank without cylinder liner clamps!!!! Otherwise the liners will be disturbed and will probably leak later.

When putting it all back together, put on a new timing belt, and check the valve clearances and compression.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I note you have an '87, so do I. You can remove the cylinder head without removing the exhaust manifold. Remove the heat shield and from the left side motor mount and remove the vertical bolt that goes through the rubber mount. Loosen the motor mount on the right side and remove the vertical bolts from the transmission mounts. It would be a good ideal to remove the muffler as well so the tailpipe doesn't contact the body.

Using a floor jack to lift the left side of the motor as high as possible you'll be able to lift the head off the studs. The assembly with the manifold is quite heavy and bulky, I would suggest removing the intake manifold and plenum to make it lighter and easier to handle.