free hit
counters
Clutch Judder - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
M3S2k

Clutch Judder

Hey all,

Well wouldn't you know it. 2 weeks and 450 miles after I get the transmission back in, it appears my clutch is going. Seeing as the car only had 17,049 miles on it when the diff went I never bother replacing the clutch as it still looked perfect. Got it all back together a little over 2 weeks ago now and everything performed perfectly. Now a few days ago all of a sudden the car started shuttering quite alot upon takeoff from a dead stand still. Does this in forward and reverse. I believe I am safe in assuming the clutch is the culprit in this new problem. Just looking at input as to what would have caused this to happen soo abruptly. I do my best to not ride clutch and try to limit slipping the clutch at takeoff. Also wondering what my best options are for replacement pieces. Still driving the car some now, but just avoiding much city stop and go driving.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It could be oil on the clutch centre plate (leaking from the mainshaft seal in the box) or something more straightforward like a loose or broken engine mounting.

I have this symptom that appears periodically.

It seems to be eliminated by a quick-release of the clutch pedal - take care! - which makes me think that it might be related to dry splines i.e. not fully lubricated as per the service manual. As a result, the assembly does not slide smoothly along the engine-to-gearbox input shaft and hence the driven plate does not properly engage with the flywheel.

Only a thought, but the quick-release or alternatively, a stationary-traffic take-up-point-with-the-brake-pedal-on procedure does get rid of clutch-judder.

Touch-wood, I have never had a worn clutch attributable to me in some forty years' of motoring (see my double-de-clutching/heeling-and-toeing topic that brought several responses) although I have replaced several on the grounds of while-I-am-at-it engine rebuilds.

On one occasion with my Esprit, I thought that clutch judder was a worn clutch - but on dismantling, both friction plates were fine whereas the splines were dry.

Even so, I had a new clutch fitted but retained the old one. A couple of companies will replace the friction plates at a cost considerably less than the price of a brand-new AP-but-only-via-Lotus unit.

Lots of great info in these posts, but after reading tons of them, one thing is very common: The OP almost never posts if they ever solved the problem and what they did to solve it. Given most of these threads are 4 years old, I am not holding my breadth that they will come back and update them. :(

Well wouldn't you know it. 2 weeks and 450 miles after I get the transmission back in, it appears my clutch is going.

Just a thought but it's got to be worth checking the transmission mounts, maybe on their way out or not fitted properly after refitting the transmission??

@mercman: thing is that the Esprit(V8 ) mainshaft is something different, with its additional 'tube' fitted over the clutch shaft.. ?

-to the problem:

..is the diff still 'factory type' , so without limited slip upgrades ?

..was the gearbox fit an easy thing, or was there some struggle to alighn it whilst fitting it ? (overstressed clutch-plates, who are no longer 'plain' across the diameter after an hard fit of the components can fail soon..)

..if you place an can/bowl under the lower opening between engine face and clutch housing, and apply the clutch by undoing the slave and use a lever instead to actuate the clutch -now , as the clutch plates are "free" ..spray lots of cleaner onto the whole package ..and repeat the process ..is there anything else coming out than 'dust' or rubbed material .. any greasy/oily stuff ??

Edited by Günter

Lotusespritse, I am sorry never posting an answer to my problem. Sold the car in dec '10 and haven't been lurking around on this site much since. Been toying with getting back into one again and getting rid of my Maserati.

The problem that occurred with my car back then was that one of clutch disc surfaces broke half off making the clutch surface hugely uneven. Simply had to drop the tranny again and brought the clutch and flywheel away locally and had resurfaced. Nothing too serious and extremely cheap to fix!

..was the gearbox fit an easy thing, or was there some struggle to alighn it whilst fitting it ? (overstressed clutch-plates, who are no longer 'plain' across the diameter after an hard fit of the components can fail soon..)

:smoke: