free hit
counters
Looking for that "magical" exhaust note - Page 2 - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking for that "magical" exhaust note

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neal, yeah great ! -that was my first experience with the V8 . That nice smoth 'spool down' sound if you accelerate , and after an short period of full throttle you lift the pedal with the windows down. Mostly in the low range between 2000-3500 revs/min. It's the time the turbos just begin to spin and than they run against the pressure. OK, that only works if the rest of the system is in stock condition (without any 'blow by valves' ..)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

My favorite was going through a tunnel or down a street with high walls on each side. Part throttle and listen to the turbos spin up, then lift off (not all the way or the ECM cuts the injectors) for a few a bangs and pops on overrun, then listen to the turbos spin down :blush:

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

As i have passed the certifications, and by reading all those notes about sport-boxes i think i should update my exhaust now. I can open it again, but instead of add more insulating material i cut the pipes inside and let them blow the direct way... :blush: :lol

My favorite was going through a tunnel or down a street with high walls on each side. Part throttle and listen to the turbos spin up, then lift off (not all the way or the ECM cuts the injectors) for a few a bangs and pops on overrun, then listen to the turbos spin down :)

Nice, I likey :P

I love underpass motorways and small tunnels, chop it down a few gears and press the loud pedal, it makes shivers go down my spine each time. :sofa:

350.gifNo.23

lol,

we were at a wedding on sat (at which my car played groom transport) anyway after the event we were driving home and some friends were going out to their car. anyway they told me today they just stood and decided to listen how long they could here my car for!!!

It turned out to be quite a while lol.

I love V8's!!!!!

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

The Larini without cats.. mmmmm.. It's not as loud on the V8 as it is on the 4 pot... but it's a magical note on the 8. I have takenn video of Johns V8 and his S4 exhaust notes.. but... I have no way to upload the video at the moment.. .as soon as I can... I will

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I briefly had a Tubi system with hi flow cats and it sounded like crap, way too quiet .. I ended up going back to hi flow cats and a stock sport exhaust (no muffling), it's loud but bearable ....

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 3 weeks later...

I was thouroughly enjoying the sound of the various turbo whinings which seemed much louder recently, when I discovered the reason for the increase in volume from the left turbo was that the cat pipe had completely separated from the flange which is used to bolt it to the turbo!! This also explained why the left tailpipe gas was much hotter than the right (lees volume, so moving slower) and non-pulsatile.

My car sounds exactly the same with or without the muffler! I presume it is either an empty box or a can with two straight thru' pipes

• 1 month later...

Hi chaps,

Sorry to drag this up again but I have just replaced the Larini system with the lotus Centre Exit system. The sound of this with the hi-flo cats from Superdave is just astounding. The car is now quite angry sounding when you push the loud pedal, and honestly is the best that I have heard from a Lotus V8.

I got rid of the Larini system because I was sick and tired of having the welding crack on me. It did sound good though, but not as good as the Centre Exit system.

Hope this helps anyone undecided out there.

I'm in the South Of France with the car at the moment so will post the obligatory Monaco tunnel run when I get around to doing it. there are Demons in there.

Stu.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Its nice if you will download the sound at youturbe or anywhere can be heard.

I think we should compile all sounds in different exhaust system. This question

always been a good topic.

I can download two Esprit V8 in two different systems.

i agree, 'totally spy' car. So many buttons an fingertips -just to get some music in -Bond would love it :)

where is the 'self destruct' button !?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...