7 posts in this topic

Hi all, going to tighten up my timing belt on my S1 later today. The workshop manual says it should be adjusted to 95lbs. After reading this from an earlier thread:

It's a brand new belt supplied by SJ; can't recall the belt's manufacturer.

I read from an earlier post last year that referred me to an even earlier post from a chap called Tim Engel/s (I think) that a reading of 55 lbs on a Krikit KR1 gauge is equivalent to the appropriate reading on a Burroughs gauge.

I used my Krikit at 55 lbs on my last Esprit (the one that decided to incinerate itself a couple of months ago - the insurance company are starting to be a pain in the arse about my claim!) and that seemed to be fine; no vibes at all.

Now I'm not sure. The belt is approx a year or so old with about 1200 miles on it, and I'm using the Kritik KR1 to rate the tension.

I would tend to go with the workshop manual but can someone please confirm.

Thanks.

Gavin

Edited by gtookey

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi,

this is an extract from Tim Engel sheet.

He is always right!!

907, with trapezoid belt tooth shape.

Burroughs Gauge BT-33-86A 5-20

Midway between auxiliary and inlet camshaft pulley

Cold engine (ie, before it's been started for the first time that day).

Do NOT attempt to tension a hot engine.

Thanks for the info. But what I don't get is a measurement in lbs is the same no matter what gauge you use. Both the Burroughs and Krikit gauges take a tension reading in lbs. So why would the lbs value be almost 1/2 when using the krikit? surely they should be the same?

Edited by gtookey

I would think that the difference could be in the spacing between the "fingers".

Personally, I've always done mine by hand. One one occasion I had set it a bit tight, and I could hear the difference immediately. I figure that it doesn't have to be perfect - just not so loose as to skip a tooth, and not so tight as to damage the belt.

Using a tool is great, but don't trust it 100%. Depending on how you hold it, the level of sticktion and how much belt is between the cam sprockets, the tolerance is probably huge. Make sure it feels right, isn't floppy when running and doesn't make any zipper noises either.

The Burroughs measures in UNITS not LBS. They are not the same unit of measure, hence the difference.

my workshop manual says:

'Set tension using Burroughs gauge to 95lbs', not units

Right now my krikit KR1 says the tension is 50lbs and the belt is whipping under load.

Edited by gtookey

Gentlemen, I am sorry I did miss read my manual. The reading of 95 is for units and not lbs. I apologize.