free hit
counters
Brake liquid purge - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an mechanic i turn on the ignition , on some older ordinary family cars in the garage. Maybe that does also work if it is an Esprit V8 with the (Bosch licensed ?) Kelsey-Hayes ABS ? But one thing you should note is that the late Versions do have an clutch line connected to the same reservoir . So bleed/purge also the clutch system if it is an brake luiquid change .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Cars after '96 have the Kelsey Hayes ABS. And cars after the 1997/98 model change should have the steel type clutch pipe, the all together fluid reservoir.

In the manual is only mentioned under *Master cylinder Overhaul* : "...bleed the system in the normal way..." -so that means it is not necessary to turn the ignition on

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I purchased a Motive Power Bleeder (it was $70US) for my Esprit. I works well just make sure you get the one with the Euro fitting (I think it is 45mm) so it will screw on the brake reservoir. Then pressurize the system and go around the open the bleed screws on each caliper one at a time. Also I can't remember if the front AP Racing calipers has two bleed screws. Ap Racing Front calipers were on 2000 and newer cars... I think.

I also suck out all the old brake fluid in the reservoir before placing new fluid in it and pressurizing the system. I use the Valvoline Synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid for years (Lotus dealership recommended it) without any issues. I bleed my brake/clutch fluid every other year, just as the service manual says but with the Motive Power Bleeder I might be doing it every year. It is well worth the money

in my opinion.

I used the pressure bleeder for the brakes but for the clutch I used the old fashion method. Someone in the car pumping the clutch

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098