free hit
counters
Transmission Fluid - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Transmission Fluid

What and where from for a driver in Canada ?

I read a few threads on the fluid and it seems like the recommended stuff is not available, or readily available here ... so I thought I would open up the question of what people use and their experiences for fluid from this side of the pond.

Cheers all !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Castrol Syntrax 75W/90, freely available here but bloody expensive. Other than that I believe there are some other options on LEW.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I have been using the Redline Mt-90 for 3 years now and I like it! The tranny actually shifts smoother than before I started using it and I do know of quite a few others who use it and are impressed with it!

You can buy the stuff from several online websites....just google it and you can find those stores.

Take care,

Jason

Edited by jfitz981

I know I'm terribly boring and I've said this 1,000 times but the Engineers at Lotus who tested all the different fluids for our gearboxes ONLY specify TAF-X. There are other fluids which make the shift better and so on but they don't have the required qualities and properties at the range of temperatures the gearbox works at.

Use anything you like but Lotus spent a lot of time, effort and cash testing a multitude of options. If you can't get TAF-X where you are, ask someone on here to buy it for you and post it over!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I know I'm terribly boring and I've said this 1,000 times but the Engineers at Lotus who tested all the different fluids for our gearboxes ONLY specify TAF-X. There are other fluids which make the shift better and so on but they don't have the required qualities and properties at the range of temperatures the gearbox works at.

Use anything you like but Lotus spent a lot of time, effort and cash testing a multitude of options. If you can't get TAF-X where you are, ask someone on here to buy it for you and post it over!

I do actually agree with you Bibs ... but I have had so many problems getting things shipped to me from the UK that I now see it as a Russian Roulette !! I've seen things damaged beyond repair (and also beyond belief), boxes opened, items swiped by customs for 'investigation', items repackaged with parts missing, and items returned for no reason what so ever.

As much as I want to get the right stuff ... I just have visions of waiting three weeks and ending up with empty bottles and soggy boxes ... or simply never receiving it and having to make a claim against the shipping company, that never gets resolved.

Get the 10mm Snap-On socket

What's different about the snap-on socket?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When they had the gearbox made and periodically until they stopped using it.

Evora NA

I'll ask but they recommended TAF-X in 2004 Esprits too, it's virtually the same gearbox as used from 1988.

Evora NA

What's different about the snap-on socket?

... I might be wrong, but I think the different being made is between a true hexagonal socket versus a

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

It is a square socket. Fits perfectly around the square drain plug and filler plug (this is assuming, of course, that your Esprit has the same plugs as mine). A 10mm spanner actually rounded it off enough to where I had to use those special sockets that remove rounded bolts. Snap-On tools are easy to find on this side of the pond.

In a fix I've used the square end of a 3/8 socket. Then used either a big Allen key (the one for the sump plug), wide nut or whatever was handy for the breaker bar part.

Edited by DanR

DanR

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys

Lotus esprit 95 S4S

I have recently changed my oils for engine and gearbox with some recommendations fron mechanics over to the ROYAL PURLPE with the correct rating as recommended. I spoke to the tech about this and they said this oil for far superior to the castrol in performance. I dont believe that now as my comments below.

I am somewhat worried now that I have noises from my car when i pull away and gets louder like a whinning or blowing noise hard to figure out as it idles smoothly. It only is when I am driving under load.

To add to my pain after driving for about 250 miles my gear cable has broken so that is now dismantled awaiting parts for that job. At the same time ordered 2 of and the gear bush kit since it is out might as well do that as I noticed some play in the movements. Is this a coincidence to some other probs or could be related to oil change.

Once I get the car back on the road I am changing it back to CASTROL TAF-X for gearbox, to eliminate the noise if thats the cause.

Some of you mention using Redline oil as I am also in the USA, Originally from Gillingham Kent UK now residing in Kissimmee Florida. Have owned 6 lotus in the past in the UK right up to the V8 SE.

Any thoughts of others using different oils and findings would be aprreciated , so I can avoid using alternatives in future.

By the way it was not cheap to buy so I am not skimping on cost just was looking for performance gain as the rating says it is better for heat dissipation for performance cars.

Your comments are most welcome, as many owners are still debating on type of oils.

Thanks

Ameer

I was born in Chatham, I'm still in Kent now!

TAF-X is ideal, it does the job and works perfectly, there is no need to chose another lubricant. It's even available from our very own online shop :)

http://www.thelotusforums.com/shop/33-lubricants

PS - that sort of noise could be many things but gearboxes tend to whine rather than blow, make sure you find out what the problem is but using the recommended lubricant will eliminate any further risk to the gearbox.

Evora NA

Thanks Bibs

Will get car fixed and change tranny oil first.

I know Jim Knowles well as I have met him a while ago and he helped me replace my starter motor a few months ago. He has the correct oil so once car fixed as my parts are coming from UK on Thursday next week, I will arrange to meet up with Jim.

Its all in bits in my garage at present since the gear cable broke. I called Jim and told him of my noises and he thinks that it may not be the oil issue but something else I need to check.

PS new ac compressor was replaced last month and the drier unit then got recharged at TUFFY's garage as I now have 1 mechanic I trust to work on my car while I watch him. Havent got him to do a job in the Lotus position yet HAHA that would funny to see someone else doing it.

Has anyone in the UK heard of Royal Purple oils? Good tech support when I called to enquire about using it for Lotus. Was given correct type to use and match the ratings according to Castrol which rated this to be a higher spec than Castrol and Mobil.

Anyway thanks for the input, will update later once I am back on the road.

Cheers

Ameer

Do a search on here for 'royal purple', it's been discussed many, many times.

Evora NA

Hi Bibs

Thanks for that will do.

Ameer

Hi Chris

You are in St Pete, I visit Clearwater occasionally as I service my Lexus there due to a special deal I had from Lexus.

Next time I am heading that way will try to meet up with you if thats ok.

BTW Jim is a very nice guy and sincerely helpful when needed. Have you met him? and its not couple of miles but far enough to get to his place.

Regards

Ameer

sure

been over to Jim's a couple of times, great guy and becoming quite a guru with Esprits

sounds unlikely related to your oil (cables breaking anyway)

PM me when you are headed this way

BTW, I use redline MT90 in the tranny as well as redline group V motor oil

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND