free hit
counters
Exhaust Insulating Wrap - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
yeti

Exhaust Insulating Wrap

Have anyone any experience from using exhaust insulating wraps?

Looks like this could be a way of reducing heat in the engine compartment. Here is a link to a supplier: http://www.thermotec.com/exhaust-insulating-wrap.html

Bjorn

Edited by Yeti

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Bjorn

If you do a search, you'll find a few discussions about wraps.

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/index.php?act=Search

:(

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

if you have a look at some of my last posts in the restoration forum. " S3 RESTORATION STARTING SOON " you can see some picks of my manifold wrapped up with the Thermatec insulation. I,ll use the rest to wrap the centre section when it goes back in. Does worry me slightly that more peaple havn,t done this, the silencer will probably melt or something.

HI Bjorn,

I'm using it on part of my tubular manifold and the engine mount as there's no space for a heat shield. It seems to be working fine. I did initially coat the whole manifold but there was so much smoke when the exhaust got hot, I thought there was something wrong. No one told me it was supposed to do that to begin with so I took it all off!

DSCF0799.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I ran my S2 with the wrapping for a long time. I decided a few years ago to have the exhaust Jet-Hot coated, and wrapped it again before installing it. That made a HUGE difference. Will probably do the same on my S2, but I'm also looking into ceramic coatings. I've heard good things about it....

Bill

79 S2 JPS 24 (Federal)

77 S1 Charro

I am considering wrapping as a part of protecting the inside engine compartment from radiation heat. I do not believe in the extra power blabla on an old road car.

But I am afraid , it wont do much good to the actual header. Infact my brand new Stainless steel header does become softlyredhot when stationary and cools down while driving. I can imagine what wrapping will do to the headertempertature and the fact that it will not be able to radiate and cool down its temperature.

Infact, I am afraid to use it. So it is very interesting to hear about people who actually are using it.

@Bill,

What is the purpose of the jet hot coating? And why do you combine it with wrapping?

Geert

Be carefull with oil spilling on the exhaust wrap from the cam covers.

On a streetcar i think exhaust wrap on the header is a bit risky, as the oil buildup can make for a nice torch.

I think for a streetcar coating or shielding is a better solution.

Regarding the temperatures of the manifold. Depending on the kind of tainless,

high nickel Austenetic stainles should be able to withstand the red hot situation continuously. (950 degC max)

With mild steel you need to be a bit more carefull although i'm not sure of the EGT on a carburetted engine.

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

I am no expert but surely heat wrap on the manifold will just transfer extra heat into the exhaust system which has probably not been designed to handle those temperatures. 

That works in 2 ways. 1 is that it keeps the heat out of the engine bay and 2 that the hotter exhaust gases exit the system quicker. Win/win.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I am sure Bibs is correct but you do have to ask if its a win/win situation, why Lotus didnt start using heat wrap on their cars.

$$$  ???

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I have used exhaust wrap by itself on several cars and the effect is noticeable both in performance and economy on a fuel injected car with emissions controls.

When first placed on the exhaust it does have to be "seasoned" i.e made hot and the wrap burns off sealants.

At first this looks like your engine is in the process of self igniting.

Leave it running on idle with the bonnet open so that it can vent.  Once the main part has burnt off, take the car out for a hard drive. Open bonnet again and leave to vent.

P.S - it stinks!!

On Ethel I have chosen to ceramically coat AND wrap the exhaust.  This has improved under-bonnet temperatures significantly.

IMG_1213_zpsc93523b3.jpg

image_zpsfe6c3c8b.jpg