free hit
counters
N/A or Turbo - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

N/A or Turbo

lottylotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd either go for an NA car (let's face it, fast enough and less to go wrong) or stump up the extra for an SE (or an S4) with the extra power and the fuel injection and all the things (good and bad!) that this brings :P

Ian

Personally, I'd either go for an NA car (let's face it, fast enough and less to go wrong) or stump up the extra for an SE (or an S4) with the extra power and the fuel injection and all the things (good and bad!) that this brings :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In truth, thats what i'd do too.

I would say it depends on your budget. An NA is a cheaper wayinto esprit ownership. A turbo is a good compromise on power and price. SE is a bit more money but ok and seeing as the price has come down I wouldn't rule out an S4. They seem to be the best buys at the moment price wise. I would tag along to the parts fair at stonleigh and have a butchers at all the various cars there.

All the cars can be modded for more performance though so don't think one is sooo much slower than the others.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

• 5 weeks later...

Have looked at this thread with interest. Bibble Bobble has an Esprit NA. In my opinion, it has always been a car to admire, very driveable around twisties, easy to communicate with the motor, and it sounds better than any other 4 pot.

We are currently building a new motor for it with increased capacity and a reworked head.

I reckon, for those not concerned with top power, it is probably the most driveable Esprit they ever made.

I've driven a V70R and it's quick but not as quick as my Esprit

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess you'll be wanting a race then <><??

:D

You going down gill boy! and not in the good way either!

See you on the M20 when Geoff finishes with yer Wedge, me and the HSV will be waiting, in advanced mode... :)

I used to have a 1989 Esprit Turbo, you know the 220 bhp job.

I didn't have it for too long though. It had to go when I realised that my Volvo 740 Turbo was a lot quicker.

Go for maximum power output.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dearly beloved,

I agree-eth totally with the maxim of:

(m*p)/s=w

where m is the theoretical maximum number, p is the power, and s is the spiritual constant, and w is the wealth obtained to one's soul.

However, the thing to consider when driving an NA Esprit is there are other options...

Cheif test pilot of the venerable H-TEAM, Bibble, is working with other spiritually righteous folk in my flock to develop a race bred 300bhp NA engine...

It will out drive, out sound, and totally out everything that attempts to compete... except maybe FGRC....

:D knows!

That's what I keep saying - go for maximum power. The risk with highly tuned NA engines is that they will get a narrow engine speed range - nothing much happens except at max RPM, so it might actually end up less drivable than a turbo. So, when tuning your NA engines, don't go overboard. Finding the right balance between power and drivability takes a lot of skill and experience.

Jens

15407iq.jpgProud member of The Fearless Red Squadron

Better living through turbocharging!

Guest devacom

I love my silver Giugiaro S3 n/a, but I also like the styling of the Giugiaro Turbo, not to mention the extra performance. And I'd eventually love to own a Stephens, but my budget is probably limited to an SE (some limit huh!).

Heck! I just love them all! :D

Those Elises look cute too..........

Edited by devacom

More than pleased with the performance of my '89 SE but find the steering a bit heavy.

I prefer the styling of the S4 ('OZ Futuras' mmmmmm........) and will probably buy one in a couple of years when the prices come down a bit.

It would have to be a 2.2 4-cyl as they can fairly easily be modded to give V8 performance without the hefty maintenance/rebuild costs.

Nigel

Hi

Well you certainly got a good response from that Question, A few slightly biest answers. My preference would be a S3 HC Turbo, if you can find a good one that is.

When I was first looking for an esprit I was going to opt for a S3 NA, and almost bought a black one. However, when I test drove a Turbo, I just had to have the Turbo instead. I have driven an Stevens SE which I though felt similar to my S3 Turbo, but with more punch, obviously. My S3 does give me 30+ MPH, when I m being light on the old right peddle while cruising up the motorway. Certainly in standard form I don

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

<snip>

My S3 does give me 30+ MPH, when I m being light on the old right peddle while cruising up the motorway. Certainly in standard form I don

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

30MPH??!?!

I should bloody coco.....

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!

that's my two finger typing, surposed to read '30+ MPG'. (miles per gallon)

Nice to know at least someone has read my last.

daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

• Gold FFM

Owned my Stevens N/A for five years and have had vertually trouble free motoring - very little to go wrong, and looks awsome. The only times I wish for Turbo or SE is when, young 17 year old Johny in his Nova with bodykit fancies playing, try to keep up with you, which he obviously can't, but doesn't give up trying. With a Turbo or SE, these idiots would give up trying and go pester some XR2i driver instead.

Even owning as N/A, I would say go for more poke.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Well you certainly got a good response from that Question, A few slightly biest answers.  My preference would be a S3 HC Turbo, if you can find a good one that is.

Yep! :lol:

S3 HC Turbo has the same engine as the early non SE stevens.

If i was not getting the ECU and cooler then i would 100% go for

the HC carbed engine in the G-car over the same lump in the early

S-car anyday.

Holds it's money better too!