free hit
counters
Wireless network at home - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Wireless network at home

I am trying to set up a wireless network at home.

The box in which the router came boldly states : "this may take 20 to 30 mins"

I have now spent 4 hours over 2 days and I am no further forward.

I have purchased a Netgear Wireless-N modem router (DG834N). It comes with all the bits you need including CD Wizard.

So yesterday I insert CD and proceed as instructed. I had 5 attempts. It kept failing for different reasons, most of which I can not recall, but the last occasion was due to my failure to give it the correct username and login for my ISP. Importantly though, all 4 lights were illuminated on the front of the router ie power, internet, wireless and port 4 for the LAN, so everything was working perfectly except my memory.

So last night I decided to change my ISP username and password to ones I could remember.

Today I tried again to install the Wireless network but this time on every occasion, the wireless light on the front of the router refused to illuminate.

Nothing else is different from what I'd done the night before so why now won't this light illuminate.

The online manual suggests contacting my ISP so I'm thinking this may have something to do with me changing my username and password.

I've checked manually (ie using wired modem) and the new username and password work. I can get on the ISP website.

I then noticed that the wizard uses IE as the browser whereas I use Firefox. So I checked the password and username work on both IE and Firefox, and they do.

I tried again but still the wireless light refused to illuminate.

Can anybody see where I'm going wrong?

I don't want to throw

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the wireless light should come on when it detects a wireless signal.

make sure it is not connecting or trying to connect to a nearby setup and not yours.

i would press the reset button on the unit, uninstall the software and start again.

when you said all 4 lights were on including the Internet light, that means it is connected to the net. what i have found, is occasionally the connection is lost to the net for a second, so the light stays on but it can take a minute or 2 to reconnect.

I have just brought a wireless N system too, and one thing i have noticed is it takes a lot longer to connect to the net than the older one.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Before frustration gets the better of you, here's what I would do, set it back to default settings, it may already be there but just in case we want to start with a clean sheet, this usually entails hold down the reset button for a certain time and doing something with the power, it will be in the manual, any way make sure you have the default settings.

Now whatever the default address is type into your browser, something like, 168.194.1.0 that sort of sequence, but what ever the manual tells you. It should also give you a default user name and password, these are usually something admin or password, they're pretty standard, but have nothing to do with your user name or password to your ISP.

I would set it up via a cable connection first, wireless access should be automatic, once set up. My home system is all hard wired except for the laptop, that is my only device the uses wifi, now I'm assuming all your devices have wireless cards or are wireless enabled?

Last piece of advice, sit down calmly have a smoke (I wish) nice cup of tea, read the manual cover to cover before you try anything else.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Graham, you're welcome to call and I'll try to talk you through it :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks guys.

The manual is not very helpful. Having read it it pre-supposes that the wireless light will be illuminated. It tells me what the problem could be if any of the others are not illuminated. The only advise it gives with regard to the wireless light not being illuminated is "refer to ISP".

This I have done, but being the weekend I don't expect a reply.

There is a re-set button on the back of the router. Sounds like pressing that and starting again might be a wise option.

"the wireless light should come on when it detects a wireless signal."

Sorry to sound stupid Dave but where does it get this wireless signal from? It certainly got on Friday so couldn't it get it on Saturday? Perhaps the wireless signal doesn't work weekends B)

Wife will be using the pc a lot today so may not get the chance to try and install today............not enough hours in the day.

Cheers,

Graham

"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

The light will come on when it's working wirelessly. No light indicated that the wireless setting is off.

Click this http://192.168.0.1 and log in, I believe the default username and password are 'admin' & 'password'.

Once you've in the router control panel click on 'wireless settings'* and make sure you've 'enabled wireless access point'* Now is also a good time to ensure that you're security, I use WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) which is easy enough to set up. Just make sure you make a good note of the password you set.

*or equivalent.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was helping a relative set up a Netgear router last christmas. Having reset the router as nothing would work initially, I tried the wizard. This just did not work. I then configured it using IE. This may work initially, but occasionally, and always after powering down, I had to go back into the configuration and just select Save without changing any settings. This would make it work. Searching the web I found this is a common problem with that particular model (can't remeber model number) and possibly others. Personnaly, I would not recommend there equipment.

Try turning off the firewall in the virus protection software. This is exactly what happened to me last week and the IT dept told me to turn off the firewall, then get connected, then switch it back on and set up an exception with the virus software for the router number.

Worked for me.

Iain

Graham, I'm no "guru", but I do have the Netgear WNR834M wireless router (purchased Dec, '06). I got it because of the "N" speed capability, but have since [software] disabled the N feature, as my ISP's speed, though reasonably fast, can't support the N speed. N worked in the house (i.e., from router to laptop), but the input from the outside cable to the house couldn't match it. Like Bibs, I use WPA instead of WEP security settings to gain a little more peace of mind.

It's been a loonnngggg time since I set the system up, but I recall having to download (from Netgear) and install a "firmware" upgrade. Is this an issue for you? Hopefully not, as it was a royal pain to accomplish.

Getting back to basics, have you tried a straightforward hardwire (ethernet) connection from one of the ports on the router to a computer just to verify that you're indeed receiving data from your ISP? If you are, then your problem has only to do with the wireless connectivity to your computer(s). Have you made sure that the router's wireless feature is actually enabled as Bibs suggested?

Normally the router's "wireless" light is blue and "flashing" if it is sending out a signal. If you aren't receiving the signal (data) on your laptop, then either you do indeed have a password problem, or perhaps the computer's wireless card needs to be reenabled in the "connections" dialog box.

Occassionally my sytem will start to do wierd things (lose signal, gain signal, lose signal, gain signal, etc.), and I have found that a complete powerdown of the router for a few minutes and a "reboot" will almost always put things right again.

Hope I haven't simply muddied the waters further for you. Good luck and let us know how things are getting on.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Iconic Ride

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Thanks guys.

I know you're trying to help, but some of the words you are using aren't half scaring me.

If the wife isn't using the pc tonight I'll try again.

I should add that at the moment I only have 1 pc. I'm hoping to add a lap top and other wi-fi gadgets hence the need to set up the network.

The pc does not have a wi-fi card in it so I've bought a USB adapter (Netgear again)

I've not installed the adapter because to my mind the router needs to be up and running first. Otherwise the pc will start for a wireless network that doesn't exist.

Indeed this logic is supported by the USB instructions which pre-suppose the existence of a wireless network.

If this logic is flawed then please say so............I know bugger all about pc's and how they work (but you've probably worked that out already).

Graham.

hello graham. once you have it up and running your router should have a setting so that you can add laptops etc using their ip address i have done this with my kids nintendo wii and their ds as well as a couple of other laptops, make sure you secure your wireless network using either a wep or wpa key (should be in the manual) make sure you write it down and put it somewhere safe, you should also have the option not to broadcast your network another security option. i would use a cable connection to the router 1st this should allow you access to these options. just take your time and im sure that you will be able to figure it out. if you are still struggling have a drink and then look on google as there are plenty ofpeople who would have had the same problem as you so there will be a site with your problem on.

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

If you install the usb adapter into the pc, it should then have the ability to find the router wirelessly.

How did you connect to the router before?, was it though a cable direct to the router?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Ethernet cable as per instructions from the wizard.

Graham.

When you install your wireless card it will probably find a bunch networks broadcasting from your neighbours' houses. If one is not secure you could connect to it to check your card. Not supposed to as it is classed as stealing (you are stealing their bandwidth) but a quick check for Google shouldn't do any harm.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi,

I have had loads of grief setting up my network in the past, usually it's something else stopping the thing working, not the router. If you have set it all up correctly and typed in the correct passwords have you tried looking at your firewall settings in your security software. I use Norton and I have to tell it what computers are safe to connect to, also I have to tell the computers to allow both ways file sharing as it's usually blocked by default. Once I've played around with that it usually works. What I usually do when I re-install a new system on a computer is get the computers talking first to each other, once thats done Norton sorts it's self out no problem, it's if you set the net work up after Norton is installed is the problem, even if it's wire less I have to tell the main computer that the wireless one can connect to the Internet through it.

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

I found wireless connectivity pants, ropey signal because the wireless router from tiscali was poor. And my plaster board walls seem to have lead in them. Even kryptonite wont go through!!

So I went down the mains route using devolo dLAN connectors. Feed your internet from router to a plug in the wall and hey presto every plug socket in the house is a broad band connection. Said it takes 2 mins to set up and was correct. If you dont want to be connect by a wire to your plug as you like wireless on your laptop then they do a little plug connector with wireless transmission. so perfect reception at max speed where ever you are in the house.

packshot_devolodlanhighspeedethernet_eu_rgb72_250.jpg

Devolo

Many retailers sell these, i happed to use Dabs as they were cheapest.

Owen,

I too use Norton so I'll check that out.

Thanks,

Graham.

TBH, apart from laptop usage and wireless Skype I'd sack wireless off altogether - it doesn't have the speed or reliability. I use homeplug AV here, it's rock solid and has enough speed and bandwidth for all my audio and video around the house, wireless would just about manage audio...with the attendant connectino problems.

Update.

My IT man came over last night Friday 8th August) and had the wireless network up and running in about 10 minutes [email protected] :blush:

Then he starts to set the security encryption.

It appears the router likes WPA (if that's the newer/better one is called) whereas my pc will only play with the older one (WEP, I think it's called)

Now my pc is running XP with service pack 2 and my IT man thinks it's odd it won't embrace WPA.

Why he's trying to sort it out, the wireless link drops. So we change the channel from auto to 13 and start again.

10 minutes later it drops again so we change the channel again.

Now we decide to download Service pack 3 in the hope that this will allow the pc to use WPA.

The download appears ok but during installation the link drops again and we change to another channel.

10 minutes later it drops again.

By this time my IT man is lost for words. We both conclude that either the router or the USB adapter is faulty (probably the latter).

So, he returns Tuesday coming with replacements to try and detect which is at fault. In the meantime, I remain wired.

Does anyone know how to persuade XP to embrace WPA?

Keep you posted guys,

Graham.