free hit
counters
Purge Pump - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Purge Pump

dawn

I've just bought a 89 Esprit Turbo. After engine shut off something with a sound like the sound of an electric fuel jump starts and keeps on working for at least 30 minutes. As far as what I understand it is the purge pump working which tries to extract hot air from the air box in order to prevent easy start ups. But what should be the ideal working duration of that pump and exactly where it is located in the engine. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as my experience with this car is very limited.

Safak

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been said, its somewhere by the drivers fuel tank, behind the paneling. I now run an HC engine in mine, However I kept the LC Plenum Chamber which has the mechanical overboost valve & no purge pump fittings. I have had no problems with Hot starting to date. If it's that noisy then maybe the pump is on it's way out.

Daz

Edited by dazmans3

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

Sorry need clarification...

Is this 89 Turbo one with GM multi point injection, or carbed?

All the 89's in the states were GM injection and do not have a purge pump, and I know Lotus made a bunch of different versions of the 89 (carbed turbo, NA, GM injected turbo, and the SE).

My 89SE did have a fuel pump that would run for many minutes after turnin goff the car. Turned out to be a stuck fuel pump relay. I replaced the relay and it was fine.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Mine is disconnected!! It's connected to a sensor on the metal pipe at the front of the engine with 3 sensors on it.... not sure which one it is though???? the manual will tell tou though..

Cheers

Mark

Sorry need clarification...

Is this 89 Turbo one with GM multi point injection, or carbed?

All the 89's in the states were GM injection and do not have a purge pump, and I know Lotus made a bunch of different versions of the 89 (carbed turbo, NA, GM injected turbo, and the SE).

My 89SE did have a fuel pump that would run for many minutes after turnin goff the car. Turned out to be a stuck fuel pump relay. I replaced the relay and it was fine.

It is a carburated one, at first I thought it is the fuel pump working but it has a different sound when compared to the sound of fuel pump. As the ignition is on this sound goes off and fuel pump starts to work.

Anyone has a picture of the engine bay where this purge pump is clearly seen? It would really help me considering I'm a newbie ;)

Dawn,

get the manual and learn it by heart ... honestly, I'm serious, you wont get around all the technics and problems without the proper workshop manual.

Dont get me wrong ... but in Turkey its even more essential to have all the manuals and at best wrenching by yourself (if you know what your are doing) ...

Marcus

It is a carburated one, at first I thought it is the fuel pump working but it has a different sound when compared to the sound of fuel pump. As the ignition is on this sound goes off and fuel pump starts to work.

Anyone has a picture of the engine bay where this purge pump is clearly seen? It would really help me considering I'm a newbie ;)

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

• 7 years later...