free hit
counters
Setting up the Electric Windows - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My windows were never the best up and down - now I have the doors in bits I decided to try and frig with the tracks to sole this....unfortunatly nothing I seem to do makes the windows go up and down smoothy.

Esprit niggle or solvable ? Drivers side is def better than passenger side which invariable slows to a stall !

Always seems to get stuck 1/2 way - would really appreciate any experience with this as I need to get the car back in 1 piece by close of play tomorrow.

facebook = [email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're spot on actually. Got some progress on the drivers door.

The seal on the rear pillar was the problem and had split at the bottom causing the window a bit of grief....it's also crept back together (it is a U shape) where the window has been up most of it's life....new seal on the way.

The passenger side is really bad and bends the GRP when you power up and down, it's set up the same as the drivers side but no ceegar. Pain in the buttski but I will try the Lotus recomended hair product tomorrow LOL.

Cheers

What a star !

Tried silicone spray I had in the garage and it works a bloody treat ! Unbelieveable difference, I cant believe the dryness of the seals was stopping the window so much as to STALL the motor but there ya go - 1 less job !

Top tip !

What a star !

Tried silicone spray I had in the garage and it works a bloody treat !  Unbelieveable difference, I cant believe the dryness of the seals was stopping the window so much as to STALL the motor but there ya go - 1 less job !

Top tip !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love it, Well done. My window tracks where looked at during the last service and it has improved things but my window moter still strain during the lift. It had never crossed my mind to try something like this. great idea.

Thanks

Carl

So which is best?

Does the silicone make the windows faster?

Or is the shampoo 'head and shoulders' in front?

:P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Groan.

You can get the silicone stuff from Superdrug - I think it costs about a Pan-ten

:P

I thank you.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
:D I had to replace my drivers side motor. The plastic gear inside gave out on about half roll up. I replaced it with one out of a Jaguar. If you remove the assist or pre-load spring on the control arm gear ,in the center.This really helps the speed on roll up and down too! The spring really puts a load on the drive motor and plastic gear. Mine seems to be working much better. :)

The Jag window motors come in two types . . . . a large round black Lucas motor and a much smaller, thin silver/black Delco version. UK Delco I believe.

The Lotus regulator has holes for both motors mounts (they differ in size); so I am guessing that Lotus gets their Esprit window regulator from Jaguar. XJ-6 perhaps.

Has anyone tried to physically fit the larger black Lucas motor into an Esprit door? Is there room in the Esprit door for it?

The reason I ask is the Lucas motor has much more torque than the Delco. Also (unloaded) it spins faster and would lift/drop the window about 40% quicker than stock. This is based on the count of teeth turned per second. My Esprit (with standard Delco motor) has super slow window lift/drop speeds plus it stalled due to friction within the dry felt-lined guides at the half-way mark. The Lucas motor might solve all these issues. If it fits.

AP

Hi Andrew,

Sorry that I can't directly answer your question, but I changed the felt? U chanels on my S4s.

The windows now move faster (but not much), smoother, and (with the door cards off) the door flexes much less.

The seal is cheap (less than