free hit
counters
Failed MOT - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hey guys,

Took the motor in for an MOT today and it failed. Nothing major, infact quite minor things: No rubber on brake pedal, headlamp aim too high and wiper not working correctly (surprise surprise!).

Have adjusted the headlamp aim and am going to aquire a bit of rubber from work tomorrow and glue it on but am unsure how to cure the wiper problem. If I support the weight of the wiper arm it works fine, it just doesn't seem to want to move when its on the screen.

Any ideas how I can get this fixed quick time?

Paul

Edited by esprit s2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it may be that the centre piece is spinning in the hole of the arm, simply because the splines have worn down, mine had done that, all i did was fit a washerunder the locking nut with serrated teeth in and re tightened the nut up, works fine now as it had extra pressure forcing the arm to the shaft

No rubber on brake pedal is a new one on me Paul.

What about all the Sparco pedals sold by Halfords? - no rubber anywhere near any of them.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It's no anti-slip surface on the pedal, you either have to have a suitably textured surface (Sparco have that) or a rubber anti-slip surface. They can't fail it if the textured surface of the rubber has worm smooth though.

Andy

Gutted Paul! Another coincidence, I had my MOT yesterday...don't want to rub salt in but she passed.

I would agree with Bigsi - it's probably a worn gearbox, the bit that that wiper arm clamps onto. A fiddly but not too difficult job to replace. Or check power, relays etc. Mine will barely move on a dry screen but fine when it's wet.

Hope you get it sorted before the trip!!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

You can also buy wiper blades that are coated with a graphite dust. Does not come off the blade but helps it slip on dry glass. I had them on my very old Toyota Corona as most blades would chatter like buggery even in the wet. The graphite coated blades fixed it completely.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Just had it re-tested today and it.......PASSED!

Like yours Pete the wiper works fine when there is lots of water on the screen so the MOT guy just got a watering can and tested it whilst wet. Am well chuffed!

Thanks for all your advice - Michael, am going to look into those blades you suggested.

Got it tested and the South East Corvette Centre btw. Top blokes.

Edited by esprit s2

How do Esprits get on with the rolling road for testing the brakes? I have visions (mine's a long way off of needing an MOT by the way) of the underneath front of the car being ripped to pieces as it dips when the front wheels go down onto the rollers!! And then the rdiator being rammed up into the front boot area - oh no... ;)

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Don't worry Paul, it fits by about 2mm - no worries - unless an S1 spoiler is lower than the S2 rad cowl....in which case ouch might be the operative word!

PS Congrats S2 Paul - have a great trip!!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Get to know the local mechanics mafia, and get them on side. Then that's an end to the "no rubber on brake pedal" or "one failed lightbulb" nonsense. You need to know about things that are REALLY wrong..but that sort of stuff should be no obstacle...of course, you should have found those faults beforehand, on your own pre-MOT inspection!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I know some one who uses a friendly garage. For the MOT test the brakes were tested, they made sure nothing was falling off underneath and the certificate issued. That's a sensible MOT check!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 7 months later...

Eat your hearts out guys. Over here in darkest Africa we only need the equivalent of an MOT when a car changes ownership. After that it can be a piece of junk and you can still get your annual road tax license.

So you can drive a car with bald tyres, no lights, no brakes and as long as you are not stopped, no worries.

One other thing is that insurance is not compulsory. They have 3rd party (for personal injury only) insurance built into the price of petrol, but gas is still half the price of U.K.

Big downside is if some a.h. comes barreling in to your pride and joy. Toughies! Most of the cars are uninsured and you have little chance of getting anything out of them even if you take them to court.

I just wish I could get a blanket insurance for all of my cars (7 at the moment) I can only drive one and my wife another, but no, I have to insure each and every one. Bummer.