free hit
counters
Exhaust Bracket Dimensions - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust Bracket Dimensions

Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with vibration and cracks on my exhaust system. I think that the rubbers are too tight due to the brackets being too close together on the exhaust itself. Can someone please measure the distance between bolt-holes for a Factory exhaust. Or at least have a look under the car and tell me if the rubbers hang vertically or are canted inwards.

Thanks,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rubbers are definitely canted (I think it's inwards but don't have my car here to check). But they have to canted either inwards or outwards - if the rubbers were just vertical there would be no tension in them and hence rigidity in the assembly and the whole exhaust would sway badly from side to side. Measuring my spare stock exhaust the centre of the mounting bolts on it are 662mm apart.

Having said that, if you disconnect the cats, there's still plenty of movement at the exhaust. The problem comes from the rigid connection to the engine via the cats.

Cracking exhausts has always been a problem on the V8s due to the vibrations from the flat plane engine. I think someone at the factory mentioned that although the amplitude (displacement) is quite small at the exhaust tailpipes, they can reach up to 50G...

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Neal,

Thanks for that, I measure 655mm on mine. 7mm doesn't seem too much but I'll make a small plate to take it out and see if there is any difference.

After removing the exhaust yesterday there are 5 fractures that I can see, I think there may be more of an issue here than just the exhaust. I'll go over the engine and gearbox mounts now. Fingers crossed I find something simple.

Stuart.

5 fractures? On my first exhaust one outlet tailpipe actually fell off and the other wasn't far behind.

I've seen people add more bracing both between the pipes and the exhaust body and between the inlet and outlet pipes on each side.

• Gold FFM

i have used my car as daily runner for several years, also in the "OFF-Road country side" to by potatoes from a farm. To reach the farmers station i have gone the direct way across .... So blame me or not, but it means :"i don't count the cracks in my silencer and the tailpipes any more..." :blush:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I lost the left hand outlet pipe somewhere in France. It was on the car when I got on the train and was not there when I arrived at the motel later that night around LeMans.

I have the right hand cat at the welders getting that re done.

Also I have decided to install the traction control system, now I have the time and hopefully the weather.

I lost the left hand outlet pipe somewhere in France. It was on the car when I got on the train and was not there when I arrived at the motel later that night around LeMans.

Nice one!

Did you find that although it sounds exactly the same from the outside, the engine sounds a lot louder inside the cabin if you're missing a tailpipe? That's what happened to mine. Also, while fitting straight exhaust pipes a few years back, without the pipes (i.e. the exhaust was exiting from the back of both catalysts) it was very loud inside the cabin. But once you fit the pipes (which obviously don't add any silencing) it is much quieter. I guess the exhaust gases cause the body to resonate if they don't exit at the back of the car.

Edited by neal

It makes a lot of difference. Going through the tunnels just over the border in the basque country was when it really hit me. Some of them are 2Km plus, and the resonance you get in the cabin was something else. Then open a window and drop it into third. Reminds me of the shriek of the turbo era f1 cars.

But yes, the cab exhaust noise was a bit more.

Stu.