free hit
counters
ABS problem - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi guys. Any ideas here, it must be common... I have a Kelsey Hayes ABS Braking system.

2 weeks ago with no special reason (maintenance etc.) when ever I started the engine from cold the ABS light stayed on. If I turned off the engine and start again it was going off after 3 secs. Today it didn't no matter how many times I turned on and off the engine. I went a sort ride with the light on and I noticed that the ABS was not working. So it is a true indication. After some 1 to 2 hours of using the car finally worked again, but I think that this problem is here to stay.

Any ideas where to look for? The level of braking fluids is normal and they have been renewed 3 months ago with the proper ones. (DOT 4)

By the way I ought to say from previous experience that EBC Green Stuff is a DANGEROUS stuff for cars like Esprits. AVOID them.

Minos

Edited by mm7770

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mino,

This is a fault many Esprits experiensing and I usually blame the ABS switch or the Accumulator.

The switch is no longer made and I am having also issues locating it but the Accumulator is still available.

PS: I am using green staff on mine with no issues at all what issues did you find with them to state that are dangerous?

Xeretismous apo Australia !!!

Edited by Bibs

Check the last two pages of the "calling all brake gurus" I explain how to clean your brake pressure switch as opposed to replacing it... VERY CHEAP and only takes an hour. Other than that, you can replace it for $500 (I still have a source for the switch).

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...5&start=105

That's the link to the thread... is your red brake light on as well?

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Minos,

Could also be a wheel sensor. I have just had to order one up today, thats the second wheel sensor failure I've had in 10 months (not the same wheel).

Symptoms started off as intermittent 'Anti Lock' light that would seem to go away for a while. I've only been able to diagnose it properly once it failed completely. Measuring the resistance of each sensor at the plug on the ABS unit showed 3 balanced readings and the faulty one being open circuit. I have the Delco Moraine ABS but I would imagine the Kelsey Hayes has similar sensors?

Keith

Calypso red '92 Esprit SE Hi-wing

Calypso red '87 Excel SE

Blue '07 BMW X3 2.0TD SE

Hi guys, well I'm surprised (again) of continuous unnecessary failures...!

Let me get clear this first; the Kelsey Hayes braking system is the one you called GM?

Tony ti kaneis? Thank you for the reply. Where is the accumulator?

Marc Hi, I saw that it is been some time since you worked the problem with the way you describe. I assume that it work well so far. So maybe I 'll start from there, I disconnect one of the 4 metal what? to pump air. Is it possible to guide me through the picture?

Could it be one sensor to be faulty and that to put the whole system out ? (this could be logical since one faulty sensor can make the braking dangerous).

No no the red light is not on. I've changed pads 3 months ago and fluids also.

Tony my car now is wearing Ferodo racing (FCP1348H) in front and Ferodo premier (FDB 878) rear. It stops now as it should be, maybe 50 meters !!! earlier than with the EBC at speeds of 180km/h. The Mintex C-TECH (WVA17) for Lancia Delta Range 91 worked as good as Ferodo at the past. No one was as bad as EBC.

Thanks guys!

Minos

PS Keith while I was writting this post ..and going outside to take a picture..I saw something you wrote that I suspected above. OK I'll measure it and see how it goes...!

post-192-1218754786.jpg

Edited by mm7770

Ahhh! I see now what you have.. which appears to be the system from the V8, not the S4 Gm/Delco nitrogen system. If this is the case... then it is most likely a sensor, first check all the sensor connections and then check for impulse signals when the wheel is turning.. This should also show up as a code (I think) for OBD II scanners, which will tell you what is actually wrong instead of guessing.. how does you're brake pedal feel?

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Hi actually my car is a GT3 1998 which shares many parts with the V8s, such as the ABS. The pedal feels exactly the same way whether the ABS is working or not working. So I have the freescan which can not tell about ABS sensors.

"first check all the sensor connections and then check for impulse signals when the wheel is turning.. "

I found the ABS plugs at the wheels. I believe sensors are around. Maybe I need the M082T0327J Lotus publication which is not included in my Lotus Service Notes black book.

The impulse signals are detected through OBD only?

Of course it can be pure electrical (some wiring problem maybe). I 'll check it with a polymeter.

Anyway

I prefer to start from the simple things (and less expensive) and then go further so I think is time to put myself under and start looking for whatever comes...!

And is damn hot outside right now... Tony is now winter in Austaralia, is it heavy?

minos

PS: accidentally I found something I didn't know about which looks convenient for a fast track to Esprit parts: http://www.lotusgarage.com/shop/index.php?...ct_list&c=6

Edited by mm7770

Minos,

Yes its middle of winter here but not long before the temp will start going up.. I am visiting Athens some time next year so if you want to catch up send me a message on [email protected] and I would love to see your car close.

since you are having the V8 system I dont think the Accumulator is used if you got it installed, it should'nt be very hard to miss.

here is a photo of it.

accumulator.jpg

Edited by greekmixS4

That system does not have an accumulator....has a vacuum assisted with the help of an electric vacuum pump I believe.

He may be better served asking any brake questions in the V8 forum.......more people there may have had the problem.

Very good point Paul.. I agree.. re-post you're questions in the V8 section and you may get the response you're looking for.

Moved!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

the workshop-book mentioned an Access to the ABS system via the OBD-2 port (right hand footwell) . But i could never engage an satisfying connection to it with my Notebook. The V8 engine management on the same way works well... .

If you have an '98 car than your 'black book' isn't the right one...

Kelsey Hayes ABS system is section JG (Brembo Brakes) in the green one. You have no actuator, "intelligence" sits all under the hydraulic pump unit.

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Minos,

I have a V8 but don't know the charasteristics of the ABS light like the Delco Moraine system. I don't know if the Kelsey Haynes flashes when a brake light is out or a full light on? Check your bulbs first.

Then check wheel sensors but I only though these triggered the system once the car was moving a short distance.

After that, you'll need a diagnostic tool.

Dave Walters

first, please can someone with an different code reader (not the 'Vehicle explorer OBD-2 tool), maybe the heandhealds on the market try to log on the ABS !?

Second: (notes from workshop bok)

if a fault is detected:

i) the ABS tell tale is lit

ii) the ABS system is out

iii) a fault codes is stored (and can not be cleared by disconecting of the battery ->'Non Volatile Random Access Memory)

fault codes type can be:

"...Condition Latched- ...generally low or high voltage.... ABS tell tale will light,and ABS is switched out, until such time as condition return to normal, at wich point the light will be extinguished, and ABS reinstated. Fault code will be stored only whilst the fault is present.

Ignition Latched- ...wich is most categories, will cause the tell tale to be lit and the ABS to be inhibited until such time as the fault is no longer detected at the moment of a subsequent switching on of the ignition. At this point, the lamp will be extinguished and the ABS restored, but the fault code will be retained in the memory for the next 20 drive cycles i.e. ignition on and a minimum road speed of 5mph attained ...."

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 5 months later...

Im am just bringing this thread back up again as I wanted to know if the orginal poster had any luck determining the fault. I too am having the ABS light come on sometimes on start up and takes a while to dissapear and sometimes just stays on during runs. Some people have told me on other cars it can be just a matter of giving the sensors a clean up as they collect muck. Has anyone had success in doing just this.

Failing this I will have to take the car over to the agent to plug in to the Tech 1. The OBDII does not pick it up.

What Gunter has posted is very useful but would be nice if I could have a go at sorting it myself first.

350.gifNo.23
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I still have the same problem from times to times. I put it in the Tech 1 and first they told me that all!!! sensors are faulty. When I said this is impossible they said so there must be a problem to the Main Unit!!! (yes our local official Lotus Dealer (there is only one in Greece) makes as laugh from times to times). Anyway I told them to reset the Unit, and when it flashed again I went straight to them again. They told me is the Left front sensor. I haven't found time to fix it yet, but I'm not very optimist about the diagnosis. If I have any more news I'll tell.

Minos