free hit
counters
Which parts manual to get (not shop manual)? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr50bmg

Which parts manual to get (not shop manual)?

I already have the shop manual for my 1984 Esprit, but I've been told there is a "parts manual" that goes into significantly more detail, hopefully providing part numbers and sizes for my Dellorto carburettor jets.

My car has been in the shop since June 2nd, where they've been trying to diagnose what's going on with my carburettors. This is a shop that has done great work for me in the past and has been able to tune the engine and carburettors before without problems.

What is happening now is that back in late May, my car was running very rough. So, the first thing my mechanic discovered is that both floats had sunk and couldn't be repaired. It took about three weeks to get the floats because parts suppliers here either claimed that didn't have them or promised to send them but never did. Anyway, he decided to order them from the UK and the floats arrived in July.

The time between July and now has been taken up with them tracking down intake leaks and fixing those. What seems to happen now is that at midrange RPMs the engine tends to surge and go lean. They have my shop manual (in addition to their own), but neither have the details on what size jets to use and the part numbers; they feel that somehow the jetting is wrong, even though they've been working on the car almost on a yearly basis for well over 10 years.

So, what could've changed? With new floats and a new distributor, it should be as good as new.

We're hoping the parts manual will have the needed information to confirm whether the jets are correct or not.

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Dave,

I've got the parts manual. It includes the full range of S3s and G-Turbo Esprits. It doesn't include any descriptions, but has complete assembly drawings and lists of the associated part numbers.

Let's get together sometime and I'll let you borrow the associated pages. (I don't use those pages for my HCI.)

Have you spoken with Jeff at JAE? He is a wealth of knowledge as well as good source for parts. I have a 83 and I rebuilt the carbs during my engine rebuild and have the stock jetting. Runs fine as is. It would be helpful to know what were the symptoms that brought you into the shop in the first place?

Jeff

Another suggestion is to replace the HEI module in the spark box (under the coil). It uses a Chevy module and that might be your issue. Sometimes Ignition problems will seem to be carb issues. Cheap fix as most auto parts places sell it for $40.00

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

There is a specific workshop manual for tuning Dellortos and Webbers, can't recall the publisher off hand but a search of Amazon should turn it up. It doesn't give details of jet sizes though because it's not specifically for any car.

Andy

How to Build and Power Tune Weber and Dellorto DCOE and DHLA Carburettors by Des Hammill.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I used to have all of the workshop manuals & they all listed the jet sizes for the carbs, at the front under technical data.

If the car was running ok before the floats sank then it should run ok with new floats fitted & adjusted to the correct height (also stated in the workshop manual), are you sure your mechanic knows what he's dealing with??

Cheers,

John W

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

As John says, the S3 & Turbo service notes (workshop manual) contains exploded diagrams, descriptions of the way they work and details of all the jet combinations for all models included in the manual DHLA40 & 45's (S3, S3 Turbo and S3 HC Turbo)

cheers Steve

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

If the car was running ok before the floats sank then it should run ok with new floats fitted & adjusted to the correct height (also stated in the workshop manual), are you sure your mechanic knows what he's dealing with??

This is what has me and the mechanics baffled. They've tuned the car before and adjusted the carburettors, so they have the experience. Yet, before the floats sank the car was running fine.

I didn't know my car had an HEI module, I thought is was just ordinary points. Anyway, the symptoms that I had that required me to bring it in were rough running at low RPM (under 2000) and an occasional odd sensation of power cutting out very briefly while just cruising along. I could've lived with that for a while, but I had to bring the car in anyway so they could insure it would pass emissions.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

You mentioned "new distributor"? Did the pick-up for the ignition need replacing or something more serious? The ignition module is a standard four prong found in early Chevies with the HEI ignition. Sometimes it will give the symptoms of running good at low RPM but stumble when they are increased.

What you described I would also be looking at the cap/rotor and making sure plug wires are in good condition (resistance check)

www.espritturbo.com

I had a poor performing Esprit (mine is an 84), and it came down to a broken wire in the distributor pick up module that sits under the cap. I went ahead and replaced this (sorry, I think it's a lotus only part) along with the ignition amplifier module (found this at our local NAPA store..the original module even has GM printed on it, just took the part to them and they matched it up).

Runs great now!

Matt

Oops.

I had lunch with Dave yesterday, and then we realized that my parts manual is for US cars only. Dave's car is ROW (originally sold in Belgium.)

Anybody got a pic of the assembly diagram for the carbs in a 1984 ROW Turbo? If so, you might PM mr50bmg. The SERVICE PARTS LIST books for ROW cars are probably beyond rare in the US.

Edited by JonFairhurst

Matt

The distributor pick-up is not Lotus specific, its also used on Jag xj's, Rover Maestro's & Rover V8's of a similar vintage (probably lots more too).

Jon - Presumably the car fitted with DHLA40's? (not USA/HC 45's) If you confirm, I will provide details. Its a very simple matter to remove the small inspection cover on each carb, unscrew the jets. You can then check the size of the mains and idle jets and the respective jet holders.

cheers Steve

Jon - Presumably the car fitted with DHLA40's? (not USA/HC 45's)

Yes, Dave's car definitely has 40s, rather than 45s. My US parts book only covers the 45s.

I was going to scan the page but I've gor technical problems!

Main - 185

Main air corrector - 200

Main emulsion tube - 7772-12

Idle jet - 40

Idle jet holder - 7850-7

float height 14.5 -15mm

cheers Steve

This information is excellent! Thank you Jon and Steve!

I do have the manual on order, however it will take three weeks to arrive.

Thank you again,

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Steve,

Do you have a part number off a Jag, etc. for this distributor pickup module that resides inside the cap? My car is from the US, and has the "constant energy illumination" system..if this makes a difference.

Thanks!

Matt

I never managed to track down an pick-up as component, however an AEU1500 is a baseplate and pickup which is a direct fit (If you do not have a vacuum advance/retard, you would need to 'lock' the moving baseplate - which is how Lucas supplies non-advance baseplates).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-DIST...emZ220071088667

cheers Steve