free hit
counters
GT3 Clutch - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Ok, this is a long shot, but it solved my heavy clutch - make sure the rod to the clutch master cylinder is attached to the correct input on the clutch pedal itself. Some numpty had previously done work on my car and mounted the clutch through the port marked "B" for brake (if you get into the Lotus position in the footwell with a flashlight you'll see the pedal has two holes marked B and C) - if you connect to the wrong input you get a pretty heavy clutch!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come on - get in there upside down and have a proper look......... I can't see the two holes that's been referred to ????

Thread resurrection ;)

Also have heavy clutch on my GT3 . It's as heavy as clutch I had on a 911 GT3 which had 415bhp, so appears OTT for 240bhp in the Lotus ?

Since last post in this thread, have any others come up with modifications to improve things ? At the mo it's the only annoyance I find with the car.

Dave

There are things that can be done but it requires a bit of engineering and some component changes.. 

I have tried and achieved different peddle pressures with the various clutches I have had to use.

By altering fulcrum and peddle length with different master cylinder sizes you can get a softer feel....

I have found various formats that work well with different clutches ..

Thanks for responses guys.

I'm yet to change red hose and slave cylinders, but will do. I do notice engaging gears harder when car is how, so a worthwhile change.

Will take a look at position of B & C as mentioned above .

CHANGES, I will do above before asking for details on how you achieved this.

Cheers Dave

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Ok, this is a long shot, but it solved my heavy clutch - make sure the rod to the clutch master cylinder is attached to the correct input on the clutch pedal itself. Some numpty had previously done work on my car and mounted the clutch through the port marked "B" for brake (if you get into the Lotus position in the footwell with a flashlight you'll see the pedal has two holes marked B and C) - if you connect to the wrong input you get a pretty heavy clutch!

Bit claustrophobic to get in there properly, so fired off this photo with phone. Assume all looks ok ?

6f84aabbbf91bdbcbde653632f9c650a_zpsgzg1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

Come on - get in there upside down and have a proper look.........

I can't see the two holes that's been referred to ????

• Like 1

Only here once

It might have been revised since the Turbo SE - my pedal has two holes marked B and C, it's mentioned in the service notes. Looks like it got deleted. Sorry :(

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Hey no problem, at least it's another possible cause eliminated :)

• Gold FFM

Replacing the red pipe on mine eliminated crunching when warm, engaging when warm and did make the pedal feel better. The latter may well have been the new fluid.

I used some kunifer of a roll from front to back rather then the braided hose...... Couldn't wait once I decided it needed replacing!!

Only here once