free hit
counters
Project Sport 500 - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Project Sport 500

280+ :D

...so there will be an other *road racer* out on the LCD-Events in future !? It is hard to stay in contact with the line of cars, even if Elise's are in front. Hope you will never be the first on the grid -or I'm totally lost on our country rides.. . :bounce:

:)

@ Peter: If you want some of the university scripts , let me know. We have various of those as PDF-files copied... .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In an earlier post you showed that you would need 1000cc injectors... that's actually damn close to correct. Now, there are 3 different manufacturers that are commonly used, bosch, R/C and Precision... I've run the Precision injectors on the Acura and they are shite.. mis-fires all the time and actually they blew my injector driver and they fried plugs every 2 weeks due to not being easily tuneable at low rpm and duty cycle. I'm currently using R/C 1000cc injectors with no plug issues, no mis fires and an extremely smooth power distribution. We are running 350whp on a 2.0 litre 4 cylinder daily without a hitch from the fuel system. We could have gotten away with about 800cc injectors, but the 1000's run beautifully and have potential for further upgrades. You can probably run 660 primaries and 660 secondaries... or run 1000's and skip the secondary's.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Stefan : 850 'th Bosch/Siemens are out for 107.10 Euros[incl. 19%] in an local shop now. So if R&B bought them it will be even cheaper . And you do not need Tax/exchange/and so on.. .

as a side note... the bosch are supposed to run even nicer than the R/C's... just DON'T use Precision.. they are dreadful

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks guys for your input.

For my understanding upon all the test drives and measuring runs we made with the wide band lambda rercorder, at the end of the day it is the amount of fuel the engine receives at all stages of the rpm and boost range.

If you don't change your fuel pressure regulator and stick with the stock one, yes, you will need larger injectors

if you go above the max boost, Lotus has set for your model ( in combination with a larger turbo and a different chip)

I am still on my 370 / 270 set, but have a modified Red Race chip with a increase of 20 % of injection time and a fuel pressure regulator which

increases the fuel pressure in accordance with the increase of boost (up to 2 bar)

Lotus itself has gone this way with the Sport 300, where they used a differrent fuel pressure regulator capable of producing 1 bar more than the standard one and decreased the injection time for the engine not to get too fat. This way the injectors could stay the same as on all the other models.

I believe we have a very slick set up as with the new adjustable regulator we can much more fine tune the fuel demand in accordance with the other important parameters of my 2.6l engine. Mind you that there is no knowledge out there yet for such a engine in a Esprit using the stock ECU.

For instance, should we find out that at 1.5 bar of boost the fuel amount is not sufficient enough we can increase the fuel pressure in 0.1 bar steps to meet the demand accordingly.

During my test drive on Wednesday we were monitoring the wide band lambda meter.

The boost was set at 1.45 (remember I got a external boost controller which overrides the chip)

In all gears at full acceleration the lambda reading was around 11.5 which I think is a nice figure

This fact reasured me that we are on a good way.

Besides that, the engine runs smooth as silk, no knocking or miss-firings etc.

Cheers

Stefan

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

>Stefan , if you are interested in an other 'input' on your thing than watch this:

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2236412/BTS_Ra..._Vilshofen_2007

One of my student friends over here is part of the *Vogtland speedmakers*-group... .

Maybe those guys can assist "R&B" on this special project. They are not unknown in things like your project :o

• 2 months later...

Hi Stefan,

any update on your great project ? Pictures :bounce:

Via a friend of mine I now know the previous owner of your Esprit :) He's got a Venturi 400 Le Mans now ... It's a small world after all :thumbsup:

Good luck !

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Stephan,

Have you considered mapping your Lotus with a methanol or e85 fuel mix? I have an ECU with dual maps running 410bhp on pump fuel & 465bhp with 15% methanol mix on my 2.5 Subaru. The knock resistant properties and 114 octane rating of meth means you can dial in a load more ignition. The downside is that you need big injectors & meth is said to corrode fuel lines (although in 2 years I've had no problems running meth mix).

Here is me having fun on the 1/4 mile lol:

from what i can say: my fuel-tanks where seriously rusted on outside, not really from the inside. Next year i will try again my E85 driving, this time with bigger injectors -as it is easier to handle then 'modified injection timing'

I'm also looking into E85 fuel for my project, I was thinking of overgearing the supercharger then using an electrically variable wastgate to control peak boost pressure, that way if I need to run it on petrol I could reduce pressure and timing ( the ECU I am using also has twin maps so I could set one for petrol and one for E85)

The other thing I have foundout about e85 is that the injection duaration has to be increased as the fuel has a lower calorific valve by approx 30%

here is a good link for info on bio-enthanol

http://www.etha-plus.ch/en/faq.html

don't know if i have the most experience in E85 use on a Esprit -bud E85 is a petrol mix, at least :)

the injection timing was a problem to sort out, it worked with the 'black box' system, bud on varying of the fuels it runs sometimes to rich on petrol. The additional use of 'chaught in the loop' electronics makes it al a little slower on the regulation. So my vote would be for simply bigger injectors -assisted by the automatic injection reduction of an stock ECM if petrol is used some times..

can post some pictures of my 'old piston' crowns -no real issues of serious melting so far... (mentioning it is an 100.000km engine..) . The only reason why i have used the new pistons on my engine rebuild (as you can see in the *chaught by ..* topic) was that no one would like to by them (every one wants to have forged pistons now..) .

Have got my piston & liner-assembly real cheap, so i see them just as a 'free gift' to use... .

Edited by G

it has its on... just use 'search' option and you will find it :)

mentioning your methanol-way. think Stefan wouldn't get it over here -as it is not recommended/allowed to use it in that way (due to poisoning effects)

Edited by G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Sorry for my absence. I have been trying to juggle our 1 year old

daughter, my company and the houshold while my wife got back into

Lufthansa's hamster wheel after her parental time :-)) Phew :)

Despite this load, I managed to get some km under her belly and

was able to thoroughly test everything.

The most sensational feeling is the easyness and lightness with which I can accelerate and overtake.

It is such a effortless acceleration, I can't stop smiling :)

Porkers, Lambos : no sighting yet in my stomping grounds, but eager to take them on :sofa:

Top speed : 300 km/h with lots of power left but abruptly stopped by the rev limiter ( 7800 )

and my standard gearbox :devil:

Guess this is the next construction site

Speaking of : No problems with the gearbox (yet) Power comes on smoothly yet very dynamic throughout the complete range.

Wish the 2nd gear wouldn't be so "short". 3rd is the works !

Still run the engine on 1.5 bar, but will slowly increase boost by 0,1 bar to see where it will take me.

Fuel mapping : Still on the old 470 /370 injectors and very happy with it as the fuel pressure pump does the job in cooperation with the external boost controller

( more boost / more fuel and v/v )

Cooling system pressure : It is still not constant at around 1 bar, rather fluctuating between .5 and 2 bar. Yet not a real problem but we think we need a bigger tank

Cooling water shifts a lot between the main tank and the overflow tank in the boot.

Radiators : Very nice move to go with larger ones as the temp is now always around 88 to 90

Mind if I cut in ?

so no presentation of the beast while *Factory-Frolic* !? ..whould be great to have you there :devil:

If weather is fine and dry, will you come over on the LCD*Christmas-party* -With the car (of course..) ??

Factory Frolic was announced to me by email last Friday.

This is too short of a notice for me

Christmas party of LCD is also not possible as I got the car on season plates ending this month. (there's a slight chance I can get dealer's plates from R&B)

Sorry for these news but next year I will be in full swing again with LCD.

Saw Hugo briefly at R & B with his JPS, expressing that he also wishes to see more of me again :devil:

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

sorry to hear that, Factory-Frolic is a theme in various post over here... you're just not often in :devil:

...cu on Christmas !

PS. Hugo was maybe 'some kind of down' -there was a tragic in the LCD last weekend if you know !?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok folks

Even though I have no proof yet if we have achieved the goal, I thought she is entitled enough for a bit of decoration :harhar:

If the road dries off this weekend I'll make some runs to see where we stand.

OH, BTW : got a new plate, too :whistle:

Cheers

Stefan

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

hahaaa! the magic figure ! :whistle: looks like it should be there..

• 5 months later...