free hit
counters
Project Sport 500 - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Project Sport 500

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Stefan, what's going on there with your car ?!

Mentioning the *Garrett*-company page you have reduced the performance output from 500HP (still not confirmed on dyno/quartermile..) to something around 375HP now ?

What was turning around -heat problems or reliability issues ?

Com'on ..don't be shy -I could arrange some serious quartermile, track & dyno competitions for you !! :bounce:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 1 month later...

To all

Very very sorry for not being on the forum for so long.

Major reason why I have been absent just turned 2

Now to my other hobby

- In the meantime I had purchased a set of Sport 350 rims, had them refurbished and now she wears new shoes

- Car runs like the devil, but still no measurements on the HP, due to heaps of work here at my company.

- I am thankfull for every kilometer I can drive her.

I shall send you some new pics coming monday latest.

Cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Can 'we' see the car in Wiesbaden/Giessen this weekend ??

• Like 1

Günter,

I am still trying to juggle this event as I am very eager to show you the car finally

I'll know more tomorrow

Stefan

Just turned 2?

Awesome work for a toddler :o

OH Yeah devil.gif

IMG_0307.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

the Esprit is an 'two seater' with legalisation for childseats (according to the owners manual..) -so keep that in mind :thumbsup:

next 'club'-generation is comming

ohh.. and as I see , you havent mentioned that there is an 'power limit' recomendet for youngsters in the drivers seat ?! *500sport* -isn't that way to much for a 2year old boy :harhar:

Edited by Günter

so which one is yours :detective:

post-1463-004781400 1283713467.jpg

have seen some :baby: last evening, but not you

Edited by Günter

Sorry Günter, tried my best, but no luck.

Murphy had me in his vice.realmad.gif

Here are some piccies taken today just to keep my promise.

Despite all this disaster, tell me more about your dyno-connections.

Stefan

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

here in Berlin I was in studies together with one of the *vogtland-speedmakers* guys ..so it was 'Ladedruck' all the time around :thumbsup:

Same as for 'quartermile'-races and *AMR*-racing (the one with monster VW-Polo Ethanol hybrids..)

If you need competitors, or an dyno with enough power to hold on (the Golf & Polo cars are tuned to the 500HP+ class ) I can ask for support. And events like *Race @ airport* have always an interest for exotic starters with special class level... .

If you prefer the JDM-production leage with Skylines & Supras -just tell me, can connect you on that too :whistle:

Or for the good old German: Opel connections (4x4 Calibras & Opel-speedsters within the 300HP+ range are good in terms of 'power to wheight' ..and the car I would choose for reference [legally anounced as 'der hat nicht mehr als 300PS' -hahaa..] was even good with me as living ballast in the passenger seat.

Edited by Günter

Günter

Thanks for your opportunities, but my days of "OK Corral" are definitely over wine.gif

I have a meeting with R&B next week where we will finally conduct test runs to determine the performance of my engine.

I shall have detailed infos by end of next week.

Of course I will post them here immediately.

Speak soon

Stefan

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Stefan, it wasn't meant -as for 'posing' power competitions !

those guys just understand more if you talking 'fuel talks' as your wife or neighbours... . So it is allways good to compare experience and various plans/concepts.

...what do you want to do instead ?

-dyno/roller

-driving (on street calculation, with OBD/ALD-port & GPS accceleration reference in gear ..and so on)

• Like 1

Stefan, it wasn't meant -as for 'posing' power competitions !

those guys just understand more if you talking 'fuel talks' as your wife or neighbours... . So it is allways good to compare experience and various plans/concepts.

...what do you want to do instead ?

-dyno/roller

-driving (on street calculation, with OBD/ALD-port & GPS accceleration reference in gear ..and so on)

Günter, i appreciate your offerings and maybe they can be of help in some respect down the line, should I continue to further tune the car.

Stefan

I see your crankcase breather just terminates in a K&N air filter. Do have any probs will oil peeing out all over the inside of your engine bay/drive below? I would worry about oil getting to your rear brakes?

Buddsy

Buddsy, You are perfectly right with what you said. We encountered the same and then decided to connect the crankcase breather through the side wall to my viper induction system again to avoid this.

So to speak my little filter you see is a dummy. We just did not remove it as it was already installed and now it only looks good. smoke.gif

Hello. You have a nice car ;)

I see you have made a custom plate on your chargecooler.

Do you have the old one? I have lost mine :(

Steffen, thanks for your comment on my car. Unfortunately I don't have my old one anymore either as the same happened to me....... I lost it

Ok, here is a first glance of where I stand.

Not quite achieved yet, but very close: 474 PS permanently confirmed with a peak reading in one run of 496 PS !!!

The engine is capable of a lot more, but due to the fact that we have a longstroke engine now, we must be carefull with the piston speed not exceeding a certain value.

The rev limiter is set at 7k (recommendation from Garry Kemp) and I still have my standard 5 speed tranny.

Furthermore we only have adjusted the PUK red race chip in terms of fuel management to a 18% larger displacement.

I am still running the engine on my old 375 / 275 injectors but with a electric fuel pressure pump which works brilliantly.

The EVC external boost controller is set at 1.5 bar (2.5 including ambient pressure)

I am so happy though with the performance of the complete set up and the reliability of this 2.6 l engine at this time, that I am kind of reluctant to do more to it except maybe a

longer ratio 5th gear to reach 300 Km/h + top speed and a diff lock

Comments welcome stuart.gif

Sport500poewercurve.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

Hi Steffen,

Great to finally see some real figures behind all of that hard work. :thumbsup:

I would question the drivetrain loss that has been assumed - 25% would be really on the high side.

Of course, without engine dyno figures it is always an approximation to establish the crank HP, but I would have thought something between 10-15% would have been more appropriate.

Enjoy all of those extra ponies !

Cheers,

Mike S

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

MIke

Thanks for your comments. It's truly amazing how much energy the car has now. I hardly need to step on the pedal, It just gallops away with such a ease and effortlessness.

I am sure you agree that it is very hard to get true readings on a turbo engine as there are so many variables like ambient air temperatures, engine bay temps as you test etc.

The device Steffen uses is not capable of reading the rpms and therefore also not the torque on 4 cyl Esprits.

I am sure when we test again at. let's say 15°C outside temp, we are clearly over 500 hp.

Don't really know if dyno figures are any preciser ??

How have you always gotten your numbers on engine performance ?

Steffen's device is attached to the rear wheel and calculates the HP from there. At least this is a reading taken from a realistic scenario as you simply test drive the car to get your figures

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Hey Stefen,

My power figures have always come from a rolling road dyno - again, measuring the wheel HP. At the end of the day, this is the real power that is propelling the car and therefore the most important figure.

The first dyno plot I had on my GT1 replica showed 375whp - which we equated to approx. 430hp at the crank.

Your huge jump in power output must make that baby really fly. I still want to see your car in the flesh sometime soon ! :sorcerer:

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike, you are absolutely right. Wheel HP is what we should be after because this is what you feel when you drive.

And I also agree that the drive train loss figure is questionable, At least it feels 400ish, for sure

I have a seasonal plate which ends at the end of october, so there is a slight chance for a visit.

If not, next spring for sure. You ought to drive her and get hooked, too rambo.gif

Stefan

Excellent, you've got to get that framed!

Choppa

Frame's being made as we speak :-)

Cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Great work!! Going back to the breather again, so are you now feeding the oiley air back through the engine? I know this is as the original way to do it but to my mind its really not a good idea. Depending on how hot the engine is the amount of oil going into the combustion will be different. I also believe oil lowers your octane rating and increases the chance of pinking as well as premature detonation something even more common on a turbo engine. On my car I am planning to use a oil catch tank. I would think it s even more important for your highly tuned application?

All the best

Buddsy

Buddsy

Thanks for your positive comments on my car. Yes we do now feed the oil back in the original way. I am aware that this is not the optimum and agree with you that a seperate oil catch tank is probably the cleanest solution.

If I would still have a 2.2 l engine, I think it would make a difference but with the 2.6 l closed deck design, which uses up to 3l of oil over 1000 km this is not really falling into account.

Once you have your solution in place give me a shout.

Stefan

:unworthy: AMAZING !

Hans, I am sorry

I have overlooked your comment.

Thanks cheers.gif (Leffe brun, haha)

Let's see if we finally can meet before season's end as I am not too far from your neck of the woods

How about a nice cool saturday in October?smoke.gif

Mind if I cut in ?

3L every 1000km ?!

With lets say 6-7L within the fully (oilcooled) system, you will have "new oil" at least every time you use the car. So this means only regular changes of the filter element ? :question: