free hit
counters
Project Sport 500 - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hey Stefan,

Great stuff and nice to see it starting to come together.

I can

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just turned 2? Awesome work for a toddler

Can 'we' see the car in Wiesbaden/Giessen this weekend ??

Stefan, it wasn't meant -as for 'posing' power competitions ! those guys just understand more if you talking 'fuel talks' as your wife or neighbours... . So it is allways good to compare experien

Posted Images

Looks great Stefan.

At that sort of money though, over here in Oz I will happily 'putt' around in my standard S4. Keep the updates coming.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

How are the scrapers attached?

Hi Sanj, see photo attached

Just got back from a business trip ( sometime we all have to work to pay for all of this madness ) :)

Sorry to only have two pictures for you today. It shows the fitting and adjusting of the rods

post-1772-1231951705_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1231952414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

I want some! :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

:) Here's what I'd like to know.... how the hell is the magnetic base of your dial guage sticking to the aluminum block??? -- Edit... I see now.. you've got some angle iron attached to the side of the block there... VERY CLEVER! BTW... Very very very nice work! Those crank scrapers are a brilliant plan... what's the clearance to the crank? Edited by Mark T-C

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Nice progress Stefan.

Have those scrapers been proven? I'd worry about fractures developing along the fold line. Seen similar before and engines ruined as a result.

DanR

:) Here's what I'd like to know.... how the hell is the magnetic base of your dial guage sticking to the aluminum block??? -- Edit... I see now.. you've got some angle iron attached to the side of the block there... VERY CLEVER! BTW... Very very very nice work! Those crank scrapers are a brilliant plan... what's the clearance to the crank?

Mark

Clearance is around 2/ 10th of a mm.

Nice progress Stefan.

Have those scrapers been proven? I'd worry about fractures developing along the fold line. Seen similar before and engines ruined as a result.

Dan

They are proven in Drag Race enginges, can't tell you the thicknesso of the sheet, but due to the additional folding on the sides, they are very strong.

Here are todays Pictures showing for once the axial side clearence adjustments and for the other the specialy designed intake cam.

As Steffen Brandt told me today, they are coming along nicely with their work so I hope we see pictures every other day.

Stefan

post-1772-1232021022_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1232021051_thumb.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

One step further, guys :P

Some other interesting mods had been done to the oil baffle shield.

As you can see, there are holes drilled into it alongside and then funnel shaped.

These holes let the oil flow back, which has been scraped off the crank.

Behind the scrapers you can see the oblong holes which dispose all the oil scraped off.

To make sure the oil can flow unrestrictedly, Steffen machined 2 more oblong holes into the oil pan.

post-1772-1232616138_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1232616231_thumb.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Sorry for being behind schedule, but I am swamped with work.

The engine is almost complete and ready to go into the bay.

Maybe I should leave it out as it looks too juicy. :P ( always felt like this looking at Mike Sekinger's masterpieces )

This is going to be the last post until beginning of March as I will go on a longer trip.

Acapulco here we come :)

Cheers stefan

post-1772-1233336699_thumb.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

maybe a dumb question : why do you still use the original chargecooler pump ? Wouldn't it be better to replace it byan electric chargecooler pump ?

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

• 1 month later...

Back from Acapulco :) where I spend a marvelous time skydiving

As promised here is my post holiday upate

Today the engine was placed into the bay. Next step will be to modify the right bay wall to integrate

the Viper induction system.

More to come, so stay tuned.

Stefan

post-1772-1236696467_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1236696502_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1236696521_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1236696543_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1236696769_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

maybe a dumb question : why do you still use the original chargecooler pump ? Wouldn't it be better to replace it byan electric chargecooler pump ?

Hello Hans

Sorry for the late reply, but I had to retrieve this info from R & B

Here is what Steffen Brandt told me

1. Important for the cooling power is the surface area of your cooler in front and not neccessarily the pump as we have long distances in our cooling cycle

2. The mechanical pump works by engine rmps which is more efficient and produces no power loss. For example it delivers 12l/min at 3000 rpm and 15l/min at 7500 rpm

The electrical pumps work, but do not have any significant advantages ( according to his measurements when comparing both for performance )

He thinks the main reason why people have gone to electrical pumps is the price of the original spare part ( 1000

Mind if I cut in ?

Ouch, 1000 EUR for original part :S

Guess most people replace the mechanical pump for reliability (impeller gets worn after a while) and for continuous flow :rofl:

Nice to see your project making progress , really curious on the results :)

Because a new engine needs a new sound, we have installed the new R&B central exhausts yesterday.

Can't wait to hear it. It will be covered by a V8 Type aluminium rear plate yet.

Hope to post a sound sample end of next week.

Cheers

Stefan

post-1772-1236939825_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1236939841_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1236939853_thumb.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

it does look more like a 'twin catalyst' than as an silencer -so it will be loud, that's for sure :)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Is that a Pipercross Evolution filter?

Oh, and is that you jumping out of the back of the plane? If so, you're a lunatic!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Is that a Pipercross Evolution filter?

Oh, and is that you jumping out of the back of the plane? If so, you're a lunatic!

Bibs, it's a Pipercross Viper induction system (info below)

How the Viper works

The technology used in the Pipercross Viper was first seen on the famous Lotus 340R, but soon became available for an ever increasing range of popular road cars.

Using 'velocity air force', each Viper air intake directs cold air directly into the engine. The cold air feed takes air from an area of cold, dense air straight into the Viper's inlet, swirling it through a unique Pipercross reverse-flow air filter contained within a carbon fibre heat shield, then into a ram pipe to increase the air pressure before feeding it into the induction system.

The carbon fibre heat shield protects the air charge from under bonnet heat keeping it cool -and therefore more dense -thus introducing more oxygen into the combustion mixture,giving increased power.

The reverse flow technology filter and 150mm ram pipe make use of the physical phenomenon of air tending to move towards surface area's, creating more air flow on the edge rather than in the centre of the inlet. The unique design of the filter cone and the inlet 'tune' the moving air flow to increase its speed and therefore its pressure maximising the laminar air flow into the engine, again resulting in increased power.

And Yes, that's me just outside the ramp of a C 130 Hercules over the Gulf of Acapulco.

We landed on the land strip you see below. Not much choice : Sharks on the left , Aligators on the right :harhar:

But I guarantee you, there is no speed limit up there

Here is a larger version of this pic

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

So cool Stefan ! Must be heaven (literally ?!) jumping out of an airplane :harhar:

Downside : I suffer severe altitude apprehension, used to work for years 35 meters underground in the military :S

About your vipercross : what performance gain are we talking about :blush: ?

Hey Hans

Bad weather in NL ? You should be out driving your Esprit :harhar:

Yep, skydiving is the last legal drug :blush: Especially when you can boogie in paradise

As to the Pipercross : I just copied the above from their website to explain the way it works.

I have no data with both systems compared but my personal impression is that the car runs much more effortless in all RPM ranges.

Just like a breath of fresh air, one could say.

Mind if I cut in ?