free hit
counters
Crunch! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Crunch!

:rant:

I thought, what a great Sunday. I should go to a car show and enjoy the day. Imagine my opinion 2 minutes after arriving when this big hideous purple Ford pickup backed over my Esprit. I was at the registration table and hear screams followed by the distinct sound of flexing polymers. I haven't had it checked out yet, but I'm hoping it's just paint. It felt OK, but there was 2 tonnes of metal on the bonnet. The trucks left tire was actually 5 inches off the ground, and he couldn't pull off. Some locals at the car show held the truck up as best they could as I backed out from underneath. Shock had set in, or I would have snapped a picture of it on the nose. Obviously getting my poor girl out from under the truck was first on my mind.

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was just a white van syndrome to reverse without a thorough look?!

I had a big white van reverse into me 2 weeks ago while waiting at a set of lights. I saw him coming before I could reverse, thankfully I had the breaks off and his underslung spare tyre gently bumped me backwards, if it wasn't for that tyre I'm sure I would have suffered as you have Rob.

sorry to see this

Mike Kimberly at the launch of the Lotus Evora,

"These cars will be for the few who know the difference!"

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! :rant:

Don't people LOOK where they're going?!?!?!

Have the frame and suspension checked out thoroughly for bending, cracking, etc. Also where the body mounts to the frame, etc.

:)

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1983 Turbo Esprit, Investor Edition #03

1991 Esprit SE

What a complete muppet! How the hell did he manage to actually do that? I hope a mega apology was in order - that being after offering to pay every bean!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

same thing happened to me at work, white van reversed onto the bonnet.

no real damage, needed a new whole front end spray, new side light and got the roof sprayed at the same time as it was a carbon one. Obviously not billed on the offenders insurance, as they had the paint mixed, why not.

testament to how strong the Lotus laminates are though...

Edited by DBredS4

Rob, gutted for you, I thought owners of classic vehicles were more careful when parking :rant:

What a Idiot !

maybe you aught to tell him of the new technology things called reversing cameras!

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Gutted for you, what a jerk! Threaten it with a sledgehammer if he doesn't cough up 100%.

I would seriously propose an additional driving test on anything 1.8 tons and above, to include monsters like that and pointless Audi Q7s etc.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Oh dear - I feel your pain...

Am always worried about normal cars reversing into me - let alone something like that!

I can only hope that as a fellow auto enthusiast he was absolutely mortified, apologetic and will come good.

Accidents do happen - the most important thing is that no-one was injured and that he makes good on getting everything fixed.

Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

The other chap's lucky you didn't revert to type as Rob Roy Macgregor and nail him with a claymore!! Let's hope the damage proves superficial and the laminates survive..but it's going to be expensive for the dunderhead's insurance...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Feel for you man, they were going backwards which I believe is more tricky than going forwards.

I have had two people drive into the back of my esprit in 8 months. Small crumb of comfort for me is that other esprit owners get hit by nutters too so I know I am not alone!

Hope the damage is not to bad and easily repaired

PS: Bibs I want to start a new group ..... MEWRIG!!

My esprit was ran into group.Somewhere where like minded but hurt souls can share their pain and stories and recover from the tradgedies that befell out lovely motors.

Believe it or not, although I usually have a wicked temper, I was rather calm about the whole thing. So much so in fact that they gave me an award at the show for being a gentlemen about it. I think if there had been any parts hanging off, I would have been worse. For authenticity, when drinking vast amounts of alcohol at home later that night :sofa: , I modified the trophy to be more accurate with a bottle cap to the bonnet.

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg