free hit
counters
Artie's Engine update - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Artie

Artie's Engine update

wow great milege,

the 910 engine has a exelent rod to stroke ratio so no load to the side of the liners,

I belive thats the reason for very little wear on the piston area,

I think that with lighter weight oil, restricting little less oil to top and thermostat maby

the botom can last longer on theese cars,

I have 2 s4 engines both with less than 30k miles laying around one came out of slitly

fire damaged car and mine was well taken care of but very hard driven also,

will crack them open soon just out of curiasity to c how they look,

also today I was browsing the ferrari forum I came a cross a great link that I would like

to share, this guy dr. haas looks like he is very respected in the forum,

its about oil viscosity

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

I am excited to c the potencial of ur engine

take care

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Me too! Sent off the pistons and liners to be final honed and matched! HEad has been disassembled and no damage to it either. The exhaust guides are getting replaced and a final polish and matched port job to clean it up.. The S300 valves have already been fitted so no worries there! A slight resurfacing of the face of the head will be undertaken with special care to the flatness and trueness of the head to ensure no issues with belt riding off the pulleys!!!

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Well, some good and bad news! The crankshaft is done and on it's way back from Tulsa OKlahoma. I had the crank rod journals recut to .0010 under for new oversized shells. The crank was then micropolished and the oil passages chamfered for more consistent oiling. Finally it was nitrided for strength and hardness. The Head only needs new valve guides, I'm having the bowls ported and polished and the valve guides cut to match the bowls for maximum airflow. The head will be flowed to ensure matched flow from each cylinder. The valve seats were all perfect, as were the valves. The mating surface will be faintly surfaced to remove some grooves from the head gasket.

Bad news! :) My cylinder liners are all out of spec by .003. I have to have them all re-nikasiled and now this will set me back at least 3 weeks. This will incur and additional $1100 that I wasn't wanting to spend on this type of item, but the silver lining is, this engine will be PERFECT! The liners can now be honed to .001 as per lotus spec with the new pistons!!!!! I hope to see the head tomorrow finished and if so I'll take some pics for everyone to see. This is getting very expensive!!!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Artie,

have u checked with sleeve companies if anyone can custom make you ductile iron sleeves

probably will be little cheaper then that and stronger and also shoulden't take more than few weeks,

few years ago I exchanged some emails with darton and couple other companies they said they can make

tham back then, dont remember if I got any pricing from them tho

http://www.advancedsleeve.com/order.html

http://www.dartonsleeves.com/mainpage.htm

heres couple links

Jim,

The Nikasil plating is only $150 for each cylinder liner. Then you have to have the liners diamond honed to match the piston to wall clearance of the new pistons .001. My problem is they had to diamond hone the liners first to get rid of the scuffs and surface imperfections from a long life. Unfortunately they had to do this to find out once done, the liners were now a little too big at .003 out. SO, now I have to have the liners plated, and re-honed. So I am paying for the re-honing again at $75 per liner. Uggh!

Tony,

I don't want iron liners in my all aluminum engine. Then we'll have to worry about thermal expansion and contraction etc etc. I realize they would be stronger etc, but the iron is just such a different material that it will add another aspect to this build and I don't need more set backs or complications!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

what Travis said. I'm sure the liners were at least $500 if I'm guessing. The liners are fine, they are just tired. Recoated liners will be as good as new I'm told.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Well, I thought an update was in order... The liners are being replated as I type this, they should be completed by early next week, then they go back to the honing shop where they will be final diamond honed to match the pistons, then shipped back to KC for my engine builder... Crank is done, cylinder head will be reassembled this week after the bowl porting is done and the exhaust ports are gasket matched. Valve guides will be installed and the sealing surface skimmed for flatness. Hopefully the engine will be completely assembled by Thanksgiving! HOPING!!!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm