free hit
counters
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

Wow... I've got to stop being so harsh.. I am sorry... I realize, now, that you were simply trying to find a less-expensive alternative.. the actual price of this heat exchanger hasn't been quite determined yet.. but it's not much more that the heat exchanger that you saw... and it will be more efficient.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the heat exchanger arrived today! I haven't test fit it yet, but I weighed it wet and dry... about 3 lbs dry and about 7 lbs wet!!! That's a net weight savings of 15 lbs!!! This is one heck of a gorgeous unit, I must say!... and without further delay, the moment we've all been waiting for... drum roll please... hehehe.. here's the pics:

DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0114-1.jpg

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Yep.... here's the pic i mis-posted:

DSCF0112.jpg

it's almost the same actually... but this is made to bolt right to the car with hardly any modifications. I intend to sell the unit, so I am going to keep some information private :cheers:

Awesome!!! Interesting to hear... I'm not sure if you read about the car I was building... but the RSX was pushing close to 500hp.. with an FMIC. That thing was Psycho!!! Though, I recognize that I live in a small town.... anything that powerful with front wheel drive feels pretty crazy!

even front wheel drives r a blast to drive especialy honda's,

it was fun poping the hood and having a lotus chargecooler on it,

I run aem computer, 550cc injectors and I am in the process converting

all my cars to e85, have u thought about using it?

its cheap race gass, I was skeptical about it till recently, but its amaising,

My rx7 is almost ready to run it, next will be the esprit end then the rest,

only bad thing need more fuel BIGGG injectors

I think we used 800cc injectors... and we used a hondata ecu.. which is great to tune.. You can do a datalog and then if you forgot to monitor something.. just click on the sensor and it appears on the graph that you just recorded... awesome! I haven't tried E85... but we were running 91 octane for 500hp.. there was a bit of knock, but we shut the program down untill the spring when the roads dry up (it's hard to road tune when the road is covered in ice.) I'm confident we can keep 500hp and eliminate the knock this spring. It was quite a project though -- about 150 man hours to assemble the kit. Dave and Garry helped, as well as the owner of the car. Beautiful kit, but wrapping exhaust, hiding vac lines, heat shielding heater core lines and wiring harnesses, and generally making things look pretty was a lot of work.

If you're wondering... why doesn't he know for sure what injector size he used?... I didn't buy the materials... i just assembled it.

Funny about the boosted 95 integra GSR... I'm pretty sure that's almost exactly whats sitting outside my shop right now awaiting an engine transplant (again.... i was just supplied with the car and the engine...) and once the s4 is out of the shop there will be room for the "quick swap" LOL!!! :blush:

apparently the Owner of the Integra has a turbo timer... but he just turns it off when he stops! So.. he blew his turbo... and he blew his motor... Perhaps, now, he'll use his turbo timer? :cheers:

Weeee!!! Garry and I finally got to tackle the installation of the heat exchanger! Here's what we did:

We drilled two holes in the left hand side of the radiator mount for the braided lines:

DSCF0133-1.jpg

DSCF0134-1.jpg

DSCF0132.jpg

And from the inside... this is what they look like:

DSCF0135-1.jpg

Then we cut the original bolts that mounted the air scoop to the rad support (as they will now be inserted into the bottom of the radiator and will be too long)

DSCF0136.jpg

And... the original brackets make a great cutting jig... screw them down to the point where you want to cut the bolt, and then flush cut with a cutting wheel. Once you've done that, then unscrew the original bracket -- this preserves the thread of the bolt.

DSCF0138.jpg

This is the heat exchanger during the first test-fit:

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg

Then we put rubber hose around the braided hose so that it wouldn't rub through the fiberglass... it's hard to see in this shot, but if you look at the bottom hose, you can see the zip strap holding on the rubber.

DSCF0143.jpg

And then we added more rubber to eliminate wear on the oil cooler as well..

DSCF0145.jpg

And... one of the final mounting pictures.. note the rubber on top of the right (in photo) side of the heat exchanger... this is there to keep the bolts on the "tow hook" from rubbing through the aluminum heat exchanger.

DSCF0144.jpg

All in all.. another great day!

Edited by Mark T-C

fixed :)

.... it's still looking good !!

Today was front bumper assembly time... so here's what we've gotten done:

DSCF1611.jpg

This is the chargecooler lines coming out from behind the oil cooler -- Garry made some adjustments to the opening -- he's not happy with his work yet, though, and didn't want me to post this pic:

DSCF1615.jpg

This is where we re-located the horns to:

DSCF1617.jpg

They are on top of the frame in the front... if you look carefully in this shot... you can see them again:

DSCF1616.jpg

I just got these in the mail today... they are a -12AN "Y" fitting... quite nice, I think... It's a shame they probably will be mounted in a hidden location though..

DSCF1625.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I am quite sick... but we still headed out to see what we could do... The agenda was the timing belts on the v8, the transmission re-assembly and a couple of other odds and ends... we managed to get most of the casing back together on the v8 transmission... and then I called it a day :)

Wow Mark, looking awesome! Nice install and very "factory" looking, which I know was the objective! What are you using the -12 Y fittings for?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks Artie! there are -12 an fittings on each chargecooler -- 4 of them. So, I need to "Y" the 4 hoses into 2 hoses to go to the heat exchanger and back.

I forgot to post a couple of pics from two weeks ago... We stripped the carpeting off of the back trunk so that when we cut the holes for the piping... we don't make a mess of the carpet. We also zip strapped the hoses through the chassis and replaced the gearshift.

Starting to remove the carpet.. pull very slowly and be careful of the cuts in the carpet -- don't want to tear it!

_MG_0528.jpg

Nice and clean now:

_MG_0529.jpg

And a shot of the gearshift.. back in:

_MG_0530.jpg

Today was good and bad. Gary and Dave managed to finish assembling the S4 gearbox, which is great! We also managed to get the timing belts done -- not without event though. The belt job itself was a lot easier than I expected, but the microphone connection was having issues and it took us a while to diagnose the trouble there. Once we got that figured out, we got the belts tuned to 116hz and 118hz. It's actually kind of fun to do.. plucking the belt and such.

After the belts were done we checked out the clutch... which, upon visual inspection appears to need replacement. So, I checked the manual to see what the minimum spec was... and it's "to be announced!"? Bit frustrating, that is. So I'll be checking with JAE tomorrow to see what the minimum spec actually is.

Then I began installing the braided steel lines for the oil feed to the turbo... and discovered that the V8 has different sized galleries than a t3 (wich are the line sized I had ordered).. Luckily the big lines are fine for the oil.. the same lines, however, cannot be used for the coolant. So, I'll be ordering a few more AN fittings there.

While doing the oil lines, I attempted to remove the turbo from the manifold... Bolts severely seized and wouldn't budge.. so I decided to remove the manifold. As is common on the v8... I snapped one stud. Once I got the manifold off, however, I discovered that there were 3 more broken studs! I managed to remove 1 with the vice grips and I managed to remove 2 others with the "easy-out"... unfortunately I couldn't remove the last one, ironically, the one I snapped. But, on the bright side of things, the manifold will be attached with 3 more bolts than it was before I started!