free hit
counters
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

• Gold FFM

garry, whats that avatar !? Hurican Catrina in Florida -or an 'Messy type' Millionaire :unsure:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was a great day! We weren't sure about the bearing pre-load on the diff for the s4, so we took it back apart and re-adjusted everything. After a long while and some engineer's blue (to check for diff gear patterns etc..) we re-assembled the S4 gearbox and put it back in the S4. The S4 had had another little problem before we put it away for the winter--the vacuum pump had calfed, so we installed a new one. We did have a couple of hiccups along the way, but nothing too severe. Then, we fired the engine up and it ran great for the first few minutes, then it stumbled a bit.. very confusing. I originally wrote it off as the ecu re-learning during warm up, but the drive back to John's Hangar was very challenging... I couldn't get past about 5-10% throttle without backfiring etc.. Seemed like the map sensor wasn't working, or maybe the fuel filter was clogged?? I wasn't sure. Once we got to the hangar, I pulled open the engine cover and discovered that while we were doing the transmission, I managed to disconnect the map sensor hose.... so, hooked it back up.. and it ran like normal again!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Gold FFM
:)

Good point there! Dave lost a lens from his glasses when we were trying to push the integra back to the shop (had to push it away from the doors to pull the s4 out) when his head bounced off the hood. Made him a wee bit upset, that did..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

That he was!

As for the progress pics... i've gotta learn to take more shots... this one is like.. abracadabra.. transmission in:

DSCF1287.jpg

And then... alacazam.. CV joints hooked up!

DSCF1288.jpg

And POOF!!!! the car is gone!

DSCF1289.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I was sick like dog, but we've missed a weekend of work at the shop and I was really excited to get to the next stage... so we headed out at 10:00am. First things first, we put the exhaust manifold back on the RH Head so that we could do our mockup of the chargecoolers. We also thought it would be prudent to attach the bellhousing of the transmission to ensure there were no other issues of fitment.

Here's the engine on the hoist.. approaching it's home:

DSCF0151.jpg

Here she is.. back in the bay:

DSCF0153.jpg

This is me putting the intake plenum in place for mockup (we didn't fully install it, just put in two bolts to help us with aligning stuff)

DSCF0154.jpg

This is the first mockup stage -- put the silicone elbows onto the throttle bodies and attach aluminum elbows.. move them about untill the fit somewhere.... And.. this is where they fit:

DSCF0155.jpg

Then.. We decided that the AN lines should go up on top.. so that's where I drilled the holes for the 90* AN-12 Fittings:

DSCF0156.jpg

Now.. With the Chargecooler placed.. we need to make more holes for the actual turbo piping.. so I did and this is the first hole (bored out to fit the oval-like silicone elbow)

DSCF0158.jpg

And.. another shot of the same:

DSCF0159.jpg

We did this kind of thing for another few hours with the other chargecooler and it's silicone elbows and the aluminum 90's... and this is what the first view looks like with the chargecoolers in the rear:

DSCF0161.jpg

And.. this is what the plumbing looks like from under the car.. Albiet, a little blurry. You'll notice that the lines that go to the turbo's aren't connected... I need more silicone hose connectors.

DSCF0166.jpg

After we did all that... we decided it was time to start hooking up some of the AN lines. I now realize that I'm going to need 4 more -12AN 90's to make the system work... but here's what we've got so far:

The passengers side view of the "Y" connector setup:

DSCF0167.jpg

And the drivers side view:

DSCF0168.jpg

We had removed the top chargecooler to make it easier to plumb in the fittings.. so this is what it looks like now:

DSCF0169.jpg

All in all.. Another GREAT day!

Are you not affraid of air-locks in the chargecoolers? I don't see anny bleeding nipples. We can get here automatic bleeders (for our central heating system at home). I know a Renault Alpine owner who installed this on his front radiator.

It's a great project and nice pictures, love it :wub:

Best Regards,

Peter

Yes... I awknowledge the idea of air locks... and yes, I wish the chargecoolers had bleed nipples... but, they do not, so I will simply have to do my very best to get the air locks out the first time. How does this automatic bleeder idea work that you speak of?

That's a very tidy installation Mark, looks very good :wub:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I LOVE IT!!!! WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!! Thank-You!! Since you mentioned it, I've been thinking how I'm going to do this all night, I'm not sure that this will actually work with the chargecoolers directly (space constraints) but it may very well work on the lines instead.

That all being said.. I just had another look at the 417 coin vent.. I think it would fit!

I've now talked to the manufacturer about using a bleed nipple.. it's not recommended as drilling into the intercooler has a very high risk associated with it. He suggested the following idea -- Vaccum filling. Suck out all the air and then let the water flow back in.. Brilliant! (I presume this is what you meant by a power bleeder)

Alright... well today was supposed to be flu recovery day, but I couldn't sleep last night because I was trying to figure out things like possible air locks etc.. So.. I simply had to head to the shop to try and figure out some of the stuff. So.. here's what I got done in the couple of hours that Andi was shopping.

First off.. I found a brilliant location for the water pump... so I started making a mount for it out of a piece of pipe that I cut down the center and bent into a new shape:

DSCF0171.jpg

This is the pump test-fit into the mount:

DSCF0172.jpg

Here's the mount after a couple of coats of paint and some notches cut our for the clamps to hold the pump on:

DSCF0175.jpg

Here it is installed behind the drivers side firewall. Now, the shiny hose to the right will be cut and will go to the output of the pump, once I've taken the engine back out and secured all the lines so that they don't rub anything:

DSCF0178.jpg

And.. with the pump mounted to the bracket:

DSCF0180.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This sunday I was a little burnt out from a drive to Calgary and back.. plus a long week. So, we didn't get too much done. That being said.. this is what we did accomplish:

Here's a shot of the mockup fluid reservoir for the chargecooler on it's new mount that I built:

DSCF0184.jpg

And in this shot, you can see how the lines would be routed to the pump.. The line on the left is the suction line from the fluid reservoir.. which would plug into the top of the pump. The line on the right that crosses the screen will be cut to line up with the output of the pump once I've placed it properly in the back of the chassis where it won't cut any other lines up.

DSCF0188.jpg

• Gold FFM

Marc: is that 'mocup' realistic -or in other words what amount of steady liquid do you plan to pump in that system. It looks so small compared with the pump !?

Good call Gunter! The photographs are quite deceiving. The reservoir is 3"x8" which is just over 1/2 litre (0.6ish?) and the pump is definitely smaller than the reservoir. Really.. The reservoir is only there for two reasons: 1. to help ensure air locks are eliminated and 2. to make it easier to fill the system.

• Gold FFM

Marc, so i see your system is calculated for a steady circulation -as there is no huge amount of fluid reservoir. I really like that it all fits in with enough space for further engine mods. Bring it up to an complete functional system , and who knows -maybe you can really offer hat as aftermarket setup for us all !?

<_<

You hit the nail on the head there Gunter! This car is a test bed for this system. During the design process, I've been trying to ensure that all the parts fit with all the original stock parts aswell. There aren't very many modifications that will have to be made to the stock system to make it work. You will be needing a tube bender to work in the air-pump system so that it doesn't hit the intercooler piping.. but for the most part all of the parts I am having custom made that you will be needing. You'll have to cut the holes where I have on the vehicle. Basically, this should be a kit that will be sold as "some assembly required". I'm not sure how I'll package it yet though... I may give the customer the option to build their own lines so that they can locate stuff where they like as opposed to where I've put them.. but it should be pretty consistant otherwise. I won't have a total kit price untill I'm completely done though.

• Gold FFM
<_< Great -If I will ever modify my engine -than i have an advantage ->'98-GT in European specification , so there is no EGR & Air pum at all ...

Looks good, lots of work to do that setup right. Engineering stuff like this is great to watch, I am glad I am going air-to-air though, less hoses and plumbing to do :) Make sure you keep that braided line from rubbing against other parts, nasty stuff.

hehe... The rubbing aspect.. well.. there's an entire collection of zip-ties keeping that from happening all over the place. I never really considered the idea of air to air actually. I realize it's usually a lot less work, and lighter but I can't see where you would put the intercoolers without getting rid of the back hatch area... How are you plumbing yours? In fact.. how is you're car coming Paul? Have you got the new turbo's yet?

Car's under it's cover, started preparing to remove the drivetrain, just need to get the A/C compressor off and pull the wiring harness through to the engine area. Disconnect the engine mounts and pull it all out. But I'm working on my other car getting it ready for the track this year. I've learned my lesson regarding having too many cars apart at once in my garage, I'd end up with an LS1 in my Esprit, not that it's a bad idea... Make sure you don't end up with a V8 in your car after your done :)

:(

As for the intercooling, still deciding where and what size. The trick is to get the air flow through them(obviously, but from viewing some front mounts lately I wonder if people understand airflow), which means ducting and using the updraft through the engine bay if possible might be tougher to place them though. I might just run a them in a ducted area of the rear diffuser I am going to use, we'll see.

Edited by 97-Esprit V8