free hit
counters
Gearbox oil change - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Any chance of a 'dummies guide' from someone who has done it?

I'd like to have an idea of tools required, technique and hints/tips if possible :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've never done it this can be one of the more daunting tasks in the maintenance list.

You'll need to go under the car, find the two plugs, drain and fill, have the right tool, usually swear after you've burnt yourself on the hot muffler, or banged your hand trying to undo an immovable drain or fill plug, or tipped the oil catcher, or got stuck, or spilled the new oil over yourself when it overflowed or...

Probably better to get somebody who's done it before to work alongside you and watch them curse and swear and spill the oil everyewhere.

DanR

Hi Bibs,

Maybe this is of any help LEW Gearbox Oil Change

The best tip I can give you is to use the right socket which fits the square plugs. DO NOT use regular spanners, sockets etc as this will greatly increase the change of destroying the plugs heads. when checking the oil level make sure the car is level.

Freek

Esprit Freak

Remove the fill plug before you even attempt the drain plug! :P

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Yup the LEW guide looks good, best done when hot, don't do it on the lounge room carpet, you will spill oil from those nasty squeasy bottles. Use a good oil Castrol syntrax 75W/90, not cheap but neither are gearboxes. Do not get under the vehicle unless suported by stands.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

A good way for you to change the gearbox oil can be found here. You should be done in about half an hour.

:P

I guess the 4 hour 250 mile drive might add to that ya donut!

Thanks for the advice. I'm off to the shops to get a square socket and I've a huge stack of Taf-X. My gearchange has got tricky over the last few days so I'm guessing it needs a refresh :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sounds like an ace deal, you're on :P

Evora NA

The plugs are tight. I've left them to soak!

Evora NA

It's certainly getting a thorough soaking!

916577124_6c07244873.jpg

:P

Evora NA

I changed gearrbox oil last week with help from LEW.

OIl plugs was very tight. I had problem, because I opened drain plug first and then I had big problem with fill plug. So, empty gearbox. I was worried about our trip to Lotus 60. It was difficult to find that square socket. But now it's ok. Can't understand why oil plugs are so tight.

Gearbox feels much better after oil change. I used Castrol Taf-x as said in owners manual.

Is the stuff in there meant to be nice and clean or a bit mucky?

This looks mucky...

TransmissionOil_10.jpg

Mine looks mucky...

Evora NA

That's the piccy from LEW, I've not taken a pic of mine yet. The new stuff is ace, it smells lovely! :lol:

Technique to undo bolt was first I tried WD40, then plusgas, then halfords freeze'n'release, then heat (creme brulee burner!) and between chemicals I tried hammers, tightening before undoing and in the end I used a

Evora NA

Is the stuff in there meant to be nice and clean or a bit mucky?

This looks mucky...

TransmissionOil_10.jpg

Mine looks mucky...

Get a ladies stocking and strain the old oil through it to see if any nasty bits came out with it, bits of syncro rings, etc. You can buy funnels with fine gauze in them, but acquiring the stocking can be much more fun.

Roger :lol:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

'Peds how frequently it's changed. My SE was carbon (1/3 full at the time) but when I've done other cars it's not too bad.

As far as I know blackening is just carbonisation where the oil is getting hot and so on - check the quantity the came out vs what went in (oil doe shelp cool the box somewhat) also might be worth checking how clean the box is - if it's caped in oil and stuff dirt clings to it and prevents cooling - but it's more likely to do with age and the fact this is a driven car !

facebook = [email protected]

When I first got my car I changed the gearbox oil....It was a creamy chocolate color and smelt aweful. Any idea what that means? just very old oil?

I replaced it Redline Synthetic MT90...US Esprit owners swear by it. and I change the oil every year!

-Chandra

91SE

Edited by chandrab

Chandra raises an important point, when ever buying a second hand car the first thing to do is change all the fluids.

1 Now you know when it was last done, don't believe the PO

2 Study what comes out and how much, it tells you much about it's condition and the previous service regime. don't believe the PO

3 I've actually had mine here in Australia (imported from the UK) since last November, engine oil changed, filter changed, both shocking condition, gearbox oil changed, nasty and old, coolant changed, radiator re-cored+ some plumbing, Clutch fluid, Brake fluid, I re-built the callipers, all changed all noted, now I know what condition everything is in, and when it's next due to be changed, including windscreen washer bottle (just joking) don't believe the PO

Roger :lol: